Ebay fees / charges BEWARE

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pete75

Re: Ebay fees / charges BEWARE

Post by pete75 »

RecumbentRide wrote: 7 Jul 2022, 1:50am
pete75 wrote: 6 Jul 2022, 8:30am EBay final valuation fee for private vehicle sellers is, to quote from their website, "1% of the final transaction (min. £25, max. £45)". It's obvious you dislike Ebay but why tell untruths about their commission rates, claiming it's 12.8% when it's actually 1%. https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/selling/fee ... rs?id=4127
I apologise I quickly googled rates for private sellers hence posting incorrect info. I dislike their high fee rates and I'm beginning to quickly dislike eBay itself and you'll find plenty of reasons why if you peruse their forums. But that is not the point of this thread.
pete75 wrote: 6 Jul 2022, 8:30am Hmmm most people wouldn't disagree. Many conventional auction houses charge 20% buyers premium which obviously reduces the amount folk will bid. They may well be charging 15% sellers commission too. A vendor is concerned about commission levels and hammer price when selling by auction not the cost structure of the chosen auction method. It's taht that they base their selling decision on not some tired old cliché about fruit.
Like I said apples and oranges.
pete75 wrote: 6 Jul 2022, 8:30am Ebay charges are quite reasonable compared to a conventional auction house.
Tell me Pete have you sold any bicycles on eBay and if so what did you pay in fees? Bet you waited for those offers, you crafty devil!!
Because I sold mine and I was charged £121.90 on a £950 sale
You sold your car for £4500 and you were charged a £45 max fee + £14.99 listing fee (was VAT added?)
So let me see you sold something worth c470% more than my bike but were charged 40-50% (VAT factor) less in fees than I paid

Damn Pete you're right what am I complaining about :roll:
LancsGirl wrote: 7 Jul 2022, 12:47am I don't get all this whinging about eBay.
I guess I just like whinging cos I've absolutely no good reason to question eBay's fee structure, I must be :twisted:
Yes I've sold a four bikes on Ebay and I was pleased with the amount of money I received after they were sold.

BTW I didn't sell a car on EBay.

When you list an item you agree to Ebay terms and it clearly states you will be charged a final valuation fee if the item sells. These are voluntarily accepted. Why accept and then complain afterwards? If you didn't like the fee structure why did you sell there?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
home

Post by home »

They didn't sell a car, he sold a motorcycle. But the point still stands, why do you pay far more commission if you sell a bicycle?

As somebody so experienced in eBay, and with so much to say about it, I'm surprised that you don't seem aware how they work.
I know how they work, in principle, but I asked a specific question that you missed. Are they adjustable down to 10ths of a second because, obviously, if 10 people all set it for 5 seconds, what's going to happen? I remember when they first came out but never had the need nor desire to use one.

In a way, I see them as cheating for those too inept to operate the site manually. I like to play the game fairly, not up against some bot.

Again, don't just make this about me. There are/were 10,000s of people who depend/ed on eBay for a small living, or even just survival (that's a trend the company has noticed due to COVID and recession), and 1,000s who have been screwed by changes they didn't ask for. You may be an "I'm all right Jack-eline" type, but I'm speaking up for them about the realities of it.

And we haven't even started to discuss life in the whole "gig economy", zero hour contract, self-employed courier companies that all the shipping depends on yet ... from the death of all High Streets (and especially hardware shops & bicycle shops that actually keep tools and parts in stock), to a massive, utterly insecure and exploited, "sub-working class" who lives are being turned back around in the direction of the Poor House.

If you don't know the reality, did you see Ken Loach's movie, "Sorry We Missed You"?

In a way, you and the other casual users and 'Defenders of the eBay' are part of problem. "The problem", and how it is effecting society, is a far bigger one than just just this company (although it is one of the major players in the field) and part of a bigger discussion. It's about how "Big Tech" is taking over, changing our lives, robbing society ... and not for the better. And how we are allow it to without being truly aware of considering where it is leading us.

You may have got your nicknack, but at who else's cost?

Spooky thing is, I have adblockers on my main browsers but when logged into my mail after following this discussion I got my first ad in months ...
Don't chuck it away, list it on eBay
Goodbye extra stuff. Hello extra money. Start making money today.
Ad
eBay
pete75

Post by pete75 »

home wrote: 7 Jul 2022, 2:26am
LancsGirl wrote: 7 Jul 2022, 12:47amStill, people love to moan, don't they?
It depends what your hourly rate is, how many hours you have free in the week, how many sales you do, & how much you depend on them.

Strictly speaking, a vintage HiFi wouldn't just cost you £10. It would cost you, say, £10 + an hour to clean it up, and another hour to process and package properly (including finding a box and buying or recycle packing), plus addition to time to answer questions, drop it off as a PO or courier ... or waste half a day waiting for a MyHermes courier/buyer who never comes. Then if you're unlucky, and have a bad buyer, another 2 hours dealing with correspondence, customer service, return postage and waiting in again for a MyHermes courier who never comes.

So your £90 actually costs you a whole day.

I actually sold a vintage HIFI item on Ebay a few months ago, an early eighties Dual turntable - £1 commission. It took me all of 5 minutes to pack it in the box my new Rega Planar turntable was delivered in. Under five minutes to pay for and print off a UPS label and five minutes extra on a journey I was making anyway to drop it off at a collection point.

I have had stuff picked up by couriers but I don't see how that wastes time. You don't need to sit and wait - you can do the things you would have done if the courier wasn't coming.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

home wrote: 7 Jul 2022, 1:16pm They didn't sell a car, he sold a motorcycle. But the point still stands, why do you pay far more commission if you sell a bicycle?

To answer your question. There are many online sites dedicated to selling motor vehicles. In other words Ebay has a lot of competition in that field so keep their prices down. When it comes to selling the myriad of other stuff on there it has little or no competition hence no incentive to keep charges down though, as many have pointed out, they frequently have £1 max fees or 70% off final valuation offers.
LancsGirl

Post by LancsGirl »

home wrote: 7 Jul 2022, 1:16pm They didn't sell a car, he sold a motorcycle. But the point still stands, why do you pay far more commission if you sell a bicycle?
For somebody who demands that other people use quotes in the way you prefer, you are remarkably poor at doing so yourself. This stuff about a car/motorcycle seems to be a response to somebody else. Perhaps you think that readers should trawl the entire thread to find exactly who you are responding to, and what the precise discussion is.
home wrote: 7 Jul 2022, 1:16pm
As somebody so experienced in eBay, and with so much to say about it, I'm surprised that you don't seem aware how they work.
I know how they work, in principle, but I asked a specific question that you missed. Are they adjustable down to 10ths of a second because, obviously, if 10 people all set it for 5 seconds, what's going to happen? I remember when they first came out but never had the need nor desire to use one.
And again, you quote me, but without reference to the post or poster. Maybe look at your own ability to use the quotation tags before ordering others to quote the way you want.

Anyway, I didn't "miss" your question about sniping times. I read it and didn't bother to reply. Given that your attitude to eBay is so negative, as evidenced by the high proportion of your posts being about eBay, I assumed your "question" was actually rhetorical. A quick search on your username shows that you have commented at length, and in several threads, on eBay issues. You seem to present yourself as an expert. You certainly know all about the various charges and policies. As somebody who has run some sort of eBay business, did you not think it worthwhile investigating how "sniping" applications work? But as you haven't bothered to, I'll do the work for you.

Okay, I just set up a dummy snipe. It wouldn't accept a lead time of one second, too short, I assume. But it would accept 2 seconds. And 2.7 seconds, which answers your "10ths of a second" question. The maximum lead time was 120 seconds. There is also a "second shot" option, which enters a second bid if the first one fails. I've never used that, it defeats the whole purpose, for me. I have always just left the lead time at the default 5 seconds.

I imagine that if 10 people have all set 5 seconds as the lead time, then the highest bid will win. Just as though 10 people have all bid at the same time. I can't be sure though, as I'm just one person, so can't test the scenario you ask about. The reason the sniping services exist is to allow people to post a bid at the last possible moment. Using a machine to bid faster than a human can. Part of that is, I think, technical - the sniping services have high speed connections and servers, whereas a human on a domestic connection might not be able to place the bid in time.
home wrote: 7 Jul 2022, 1:16pm In a way, I see them as cheating for those too inept to operate the site manually. I like to play the game fairly, not up against some bot.
Well, I'm perfectly happy with eBay as both a buying and selling market. Whereas you have nothing but complaints. So I'm not sure who is "inept" here.

When I buy or sell something on eBay, I'm not playing a "game" as you put it. I'm buying something, or selling something. One of the reasons I usually use a sniping service when I'm buying an auction item is exactly because I don't want to play a "game". I don't want to sit glued to my computer with adrenaline rising with every successful, or failed, bid, tempted each time to bid higher and higher. I use a little bit of self discipline, decide the most I'm willing to pay for something, put that amount in my sniping service, and let that do the rest. Sometimes, if I happen to be free, I'll watch the auction end, sometimes I won't. But the 5 second lead means I haven't got time to increase my own automated bid. But often I won't bother watching (another advantage, I don't have to be around), so just get a "you've won" or an "outbid" notification.

It's worth pointing out that eBay's auction system doesn't work like a live auction room does. If you're bidding for chest of drawers at J Bloggs and Sons, Auctioneers and Valuers, then you wave your card and bid $3,000, telling the auctioneer that that is your current bid. Especially if you're Cary Grant - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amczmjuhwXI. But in your mind you might have a higher amount you are prepared to go to.

But on eBay you tell eBay what your maximum is, and they bid up to that for you, but only by enough to beat any other, lower maximum bids. So eBay auctions aren't like traditional ones.
home wrote: 7 Jul 2022, 1:16pm Again, don't just make this about me. There are/were 10,000s of people who depend/ed on eBay for a small living, or even just survival (that's a trend the company has noticed due to COVID and recession), and 1,000s who have been screwed by changes they didn't ask for. You may be an "I'm all right Jack-eline" type, but I'm speaking up for them about the realities of it.
You are the one posting. If you are the Chairperson of the Association of Hard Done By Ex-Ebay Traders, then please declare so. But at the moment you appear as somebody with a chip on their shoulder, imagining that they are speaking up for the dispossessed.
home wrote: 7 Jul 2022, 1:16pm You may have got your nicknack, but at who else's cost?
Apart from selling a very old piece of hi-fi equipment, and buying some clothes, you have little idea what I buy or sell on eBay. Though some of it is, indeed, cycling equipment. But well done with your attempt to trivialise my eBay activity with the word "nicknack". What were you selling on eBay, jet engines? satellites? complete main-frame computer systems?
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

I have been reprimanded for complaining about ‘home’!
Vorpal the moderator took out my comments. It’s greatly appreciated that others are complaining or indeed being sucked in by ‘home’ and his comments!
RecumbentRide

Post by RecumbentRide »

pete75 wrote: 7 Jul 2022, 1:12pm When you list an item you agree to Ebay terms and it clearly states you will be charged a final valuation fee if the item sells. These are voluntarily accepted. Why accept and then complain afterwards? If you didn't like the fee structure why did you sell there?
Please note my opening line in the OP was...
Yes I know I should have checked before listing my bicycle and I feel a right idiot for not having done so. Lesson learnt.
And I humbly apologise to you Pete for wanting to warn others (even complain! :shock: )

Unlike you Pete I'm not perfect, just a flawed human being. :oops:
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'll just mention that Pete doesn't appreciate sarcasm
RecumbentRide

Post by RecumbentRide »

thirdcrank wrote: 8 Jul 2022, 4:32pm I'll just mention that Pete doesn't appreciate sarcasm
Yea, but I do. I've got to entertain myself somehow :lol:
pete75

Post by pete75 »

thirdcrank wrote: 8 Jul 2022, 4:32pm I'll just mention that Pete doesn't appreciate sarcasm
That wasn't sarcasm it's stating the bleeding obvious. :wink:
pete75

Post by pete75 »

RecumbentRide wrote: 8 Jul 2022, 4:22pm
pete75 wrote: 7 Jul 2022, 1:12pm When you list an item you agree to Ebay terms and it clearly states you will be charged a final valuation fee if the item sells. These are voluntarily accepted. Why accept and then complain afterwards? If you didn't like the fee structure why did you sell there?
Please note my opening line in the OP was...
Yes I know I should have checked before listing my bicycle and I feel a right idiot for not having done so. Lesson learnt.
And I humbly apologise to you Pete for wanting to warn others (even complain! :shock: )

Unlike you Pete I'm not perfect, just a flawed human being. :oops:
The point about selling on Ebay is the amount you receive not their commission. If you're happy with what you get then all well and good. if not then maybe expectations too high or item not attractive to many bidders. Which was it with you?
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

With respect, that's been the case with every transaction going back to the day when somebody realised they could hook up the person with the thing to the person wot needed it.
I wonder if there is such a thing as The MiddleMan, in what's referred to as Nature - ie not ghastly humans, with their horrid, acquisitive, destructive brains...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

However much money you want to end up with, multiply that by 1.1285 and that's what you'd need to sell at.
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

manc33, how about a similar ready-reckoner calc. for them's as wants to use the so-called bin feature, please?
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
steve.y.griffith

Post by steve.y.griffith »

One further point eBay charge commission at the same rate on postage and according to their rules you are not meant to pass that on to the seller . Not a big deal for small items but if you were say selling a bike frame which cost say £20 post you could lose out Of course you can charge for packing materials ….

Highly recommended you use ebays GSP for international shipping . You just post to their warehouse in the U.K. they deal with customs ,postage etc . And if it goes missing eBay pay any compensation. Only disadvantage I can see you can’t combine items into one parcel

Final thought on eBay it has enabled collectors / buyers anywhere in the world to access items for first time .