Washing a tent?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Sweep

Washing a tent?

Post by Sweep »

First, before someone jumps on me, it's not something I would ever consider doing.

No matter how dirty the tent ever became.

But am pondering on whether to buy a tent off someone.

They have only used it a small number of times but for reasons best known to themselves have washed the inner tent, which of course includes the built-in groundsheet, in a washing machine.

Could this have degraded/damaged the waterproofing of the bottom of the tent?
Sweep
simonineaston

Re: Washing a tent?

Post by simonineaston »

Depends on the materials and the construction, for example taped seams might not appreciate vigorous and lengthy agitation. If in your situation, I might have a quick decco on the tent maker's website and review their own guidance for cleaning. You might find that certain methods are explicitly warned against...
I've washed tents myself, but generally by soaking in warm water in a bath and perhaps using a few soap flakes. I had a box of old-fashioned soap flakes which lasted me years - don't even know if you can still get it.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

simonineaston wrote: 5 Jul 2022, 1:15pm Depends on the materials and the construction, for example taped seams might not appreciate vigorous and lengthy agitation. If in your situation, I might have a quick decco on the tent maker's website and review their own guidance for cleaning. You might find that certain methods are explicitly warned against...
I've washed tents myself, but generally by soaking in warm water in a bath and perhaps using a few soap flakes. I had a box of old-fashioned soap flakes which lasted me years - don't even know if you can still get it.
Thanks for advice - I think this person is a bit of a novice.
On the soap, if you ever need to do any tent/sleeping bag pampering in the future, you can get liquid soap from wilco.

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-origi ... /p/0412410

also good for merino wool stuff.
Sweep
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Cool - thanks for the tip!
On the subject of merino wool, I had some lovely garments made from a mix that included merino wool - got them at nice prices from either Aldi or Lidl - can't recall which. But blow me down, I got clothes moths in the home and they made much inroads into the woolies while they were packed away the other summer... :roll:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
PH

Post by PH »

My inner has been through the washing machine a couple of times, delicates cycle, liquid soap. Last time some seam tape was already coming lose, part of the reason for washing it was to do so before repairing that, the washing didn't make it worse. As long as they haven't done anything silly* like use a strong detergent or a high temperature wash I'd be confident about the material being up to it.

*Might even be fine if they had, I'd just be less confident.