Bicycle is the slow death of the planet

PedallingSquares

Re: Bicycle is the slow death of the planet

Post by PedallingSquares »

mattheus wrote: 8 Jul 2022, 8:55am
PedallingSquares wrote: 7 Jul 2022, 10:39pm
mattheus wrote: 6 Jul 2022, 11:50am It seems that even cyclists (well, ok - internet cyclists) have no care for future consequences:
What's an internet cyclist?
It's one for whom there is no evidence apart from their comments/contributions on the internet.
I tend to assume (with caution) that people are who/what they say they are, and are generally honest - but you can never be sure. You could be Jeremy Clarkson, who knows?
Isn't that everyone on here?
I have Strava evidence,BC Membership evidence,CC club membership evidence,photographic evidence.That covers the cycling bit.What does being an internet cyclist have to do with comments on life outside cycling?
Do any of us really know any other member?
I am not Clarkson btw but I do agree with him on some things.Then again I agree with many controversial people on some things!
mattheus wrote: 8 Jul 2022, 10:31am
PedallingSquares wrote: 7 Jul 2022, 10:39pm What is strange about a cyclist having no care for future consequences?
That would be VERY unusual. Do you never plan ahead in life? There may be some sort of mental illness that causes this, and if you are a sufferer then I apologise; but more than 99% of humanity does consider the consequence of their actions. (They just differ in their priorities.)
In your opinion it's VERY unusual.99% of humanity is just a figure you've plucked out of the air based on your experience.Yes most plan for the future but THEIR future.I have done this with savings,pensions etc.That is as far as it goes.Like most folk,in MY experience,I plan but whatever happens.....happens.Once I'm gone my kids/grandkids will do the same.
We obviously move in different circles and without using an unprovable percentage I can tell you that most,not all,of the people I interact with are very similar to me.This is not just in my little local bubble.I have many good friends I've met from all over the country,some through work,some through holidays and quite a few from various forums and we all share very similar views.I even admit that one of my closest friends is an out-and-out Tory....but that's enough about that.
Everyone is different and has different views.Saying 99% of this or that to point score is actually pointless.
You have your view and what you see in your life and I have mine.They are obviously very different.That is not to say one is right or wrong.

There is no mental illness involved BTW.

I refer to my earlier point that I firmly believe that certain members on certain forums post what they think they should or what they believe others want to hear.I come to this conclusion because,as stated above and on other posts,it is not my experience in the real world.
In conclusion.
I cycle.I have done for years,decades,because I love it.It is nothing to do with it being 'green' it's because I enjoy it.I cycle for fun.I would never cycle to work even though it's only 6 miles.I have a car for that.I would never cycle to the shop.I have a car for that.I recycle at home because bins are provided so it's convenient for me to do so.If the bins weren't there I simply wouldn't bother.I drive a diesel car and have a very,very quick motorbike.I fill them when they need it.Yes it's getting expensive but it won't stop me doing so,I simply don't care about mpg it costs what it costs,and until forced I would never own an electric vehicle.We buy food that is thrown away at the end of the week,fruit/veg,as we have not used it.All our appliances are left on standy,never unplugged.I could go on and on....
That is my reality and that of 99% of the people I know so from that I have to conclude that most people I know don't plan any further into the future than their future.
I would suspect that,in reality,most of the population are guilty of this,or at least some of it,despite pretending otherwise on internet forums.