TDF.......As No Ones Started A Post.

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
djnotts

Re: TDF.......As No Ones Started A Post.

Post by djnotts »

Well there's a surprise. Van Aert is a world champ TT rider as well. What a well trained and managed Team.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

What does Pogacar do next time, does he race more Pogacar or more Vingegaard?
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Postboxer wrote: 23 Jul 2022, 6:48pm What does Pogacar do next time, does he race more Pogacar or more Vingegaard?
The itv4 guys have been commenting on this in their podcast (never strays car) and they seem to think he needs a lighter season where he doesn’t do a huge amount of racing and focuses on the tour. Then not going without food or whatever happened in the granon day and maybe not responding to every single attack- being more measured.

It will be interesting to see what approach he does take. Might be less fun though- this year was very watchable. Hope van aert is there at least as he is a great rider to watch. Possibly the best cyclist in the tour? (I know in theory that’s Vinegaard but would he have won without WVA?). I think like everyone else I assumed it was wrapped up after a week so having 2 quite evenly matched riders in places 1 and 2 could make the next few years interesting.

Shout out for the old guy Geraint Thomas too- he’s great when he doesn’t come off the bike. Not the most exciting rider this year (very much in the old sky style I guess) but being the measured, calm older rider seems to suit him. Apparently he’s changed his training regime and diet too and that seems to be really showing.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Woet Van Aert certainly seems to be worth 2 or 3 team-mates on his own. Ineos didn't seem to be on form much either, apparently they had sickness going around, Adam Yates having withdrawn from the Tour de Suisse with Covid too probably didn't help, then he got sick I think. Are there any other young riders coming through? I remember Tom Pidcock being interviewed during the live coverage of the Tour de France a few years ago.

Does anyone know why France can't win it anymore? Since their last win in 1985, there have been three different Brits, three non-Europeans, they've had 5 second places and 4 thirds since then I think, Bardet being closest recently, do they have any youngsters coming through?

It's a pity the women's Tour de France isn't being broadcast free, it's on Discovery+ and GCN+, one of the teams, Le Col Wahoo, was giving away 10,000 8 day passes, I've tried but assume they've all gone.

https://lecolwahoo.com/moreeyesonher
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Got my code through so must still be available.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Postboxer wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 3:08pm Does anyone know why France can't win it anymore? Since their last win in 1985, there have been three different Brits, three non-Europeans, they've had 5 second places and 4 thirds since then I think, Bardet being closest recently, do they have any youngsters coming through?
https://lecolwahoo.com/moreeyesonher
Pity Julian Alaphilippe wasn't fit enough to ride this year.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Postboxer wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 4:26pm Got my code through so must still be available.
Thanks, I think it’s on Eurosport too. Not that I have any of them. I’ve been toying with getting Eurosport for the cycling as essentially I want it all in one place, I don’t want multiple subscriptions. Shame that ITV 4 aren’t picking up much of the international stuff due to rights restrictions although they are doing a lot of British races which is nice to see.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

MrsHJ wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 4:41pm. I’ve been toying with getting Eurosport for the cycling as essentially I want it all in one place,
Can thoroughly recommend GCN+ No adverts and any race there anytime to watch.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
mjr

Post by mjr »

Paulatic wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 5:48pm
MrsHJ wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 4:41pm. I’ve been toying with getting Eurosport for the cycling as essentially I want it all in one place,
GCN+ Tour commentaries in English are worse than ITV, though. It's Rob overpronouncer Hatch and Carlton mistake Kirby.

There's also the problem that if people keep buying subscriptions, cycling won't be on free TV much any more, new fans won't see much and it will wither like cricket. There aren't as many 'fixtures' as football so can't be everywhere like it is, and the only full road cycling on the 'protected list' is the Olympics, which is usually a terrible race.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Paulatic wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 5:48pm
I had a brief look at this when it was recommended higher up but I couldn't see a way of finding the price without first giving personal info.

Can you say how much it would roughly cost?

(I'm currently watching ITV4 live and all that can be said in its favour is it's free to watch.)
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

mjr wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 6:14pm]

GCN+ Tour commentaries in English are worse than ITV, though. It's Rob overpronouncer Hatch and Carlton mistake Kirby.

There's also the problem that if people keep buying subscriptions, cycling won't be on free TV much any more, new fans won't see much and it will wither like cricket. There aren't as many 'fixtures' as football so can't be everywhere like it is, and the only full road cycling on the 'protected list' is the Olympics, which is usually a terrible race.
I don’t recall ITV presenters being perfect either I did sit down one night to watch their highlights and by the second advert break I gave up.
Robbie McCewan and Adam Blythe through the tour have more than made up for the shortfalls of Carlton in fact they’ve almost made him up his game and of course Yes Well Sean and his fatigue. :D

There might also be a case there are more viable cycle races because some money from subscribers is going into their pots.

Subscription is £39.99 our first year was £19.99 and because we had watched so much cycling over the year I happily coughed up the full amount.

E2E info
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

My ideal set-up would be the official French telly with commentary in French also. Presumably, I'd then have to make do with other national telly.

£40 pa seems reasonable
mjr

Post by mjr »

thirdcrank wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 6:36pm My ideal set-up would be the official French telly with commentary in French also. Presumably, I'd then have to make do with other national telly.

£40 pa seems reasonable
Well, you could either point a large enough (I suspect 60cm is probably enough from Leeds, but I can check if you want) satellite dish towards 5°w with a modern receiver, or use a VPN to access France TV from a French IP address.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Paulatic wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 6:27pm I don’t recall ITV presenters being perfect either I did sit down one night to watch their highlights and by the second advert break I gave up.
Robbie McCewan and Adam Blythe through the tour have more than made up for the shortfalls of Carlton in fact they’ve almost made him up his game and of course Yes Well Sean and his fatigue. :D

There might also be a case there are more viable cycle races because some money from subscribers is going into their pots.

Subscription is £39.99 our first year was £19.99 and because we had watched so much cycling over the year I happily coughed up the full amount.
Itv presenters aren't perfect but all are good quality IMO, whereas there are GCN ones who are 'channel -changers' and none quite as good as the first string ITV ones. The two pundits you mention are two of GCN's best, but Kennaugh, Boardman, Deignan and Millar are at least equal.

I think any increase in race income from TV subscriptions would be at least matched by a reduction in the value of jersey and race sponsorships through reduced audience reach and an increase in TV production costs because subscribers won't tolerate faults and glitches as much as free viewers.

So far, very few GCN races aren't available on free TV, so £40/year seems a lot mainly for English commentary and to avoid upgrading one's TV.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

mjr wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 7:26pm [

So far, very few GCN races aren't available on free TV, so £40/year seems a lot mainly for English commentary and to avoid upgrading one's TV.
That’s an incredible statement
Coming up next on GCN Femme Tour de France and Tour de Wallonie. Where do you watch them for free?
Doesn’t have to be English commentary you can select another language you’d like.
As for upgrading a TV are there really that many about without a HDMI socket at the least.
Less than a pound a week is peanuts compared to what some people are prepared to pay for a month of junk.

E2E info