TDF.......As No Ones Started A Post.

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
Postboxer

Re: TDF.......As No Ones Started A Post.

Post by Postboxer »

djnotts wrote: 21 Jul 2022, 4:32pm Festina, USPS.... TJV.
It is surprising when at the beginning of the tour all the talk was of the weak UAE team and how they would cope, though there it's possible they have just found gains elsewhere - training, nutrition, recovery, tyres, aero etc. It could also be the case that Covid and other illnesses could have affected riders on other teams, INEOS didn't think they would be very competitive at all this tour, granted Geraint Thomas is 8 minutes behind, but he is still in third place.
hemo

Post by hemo »

A second day of great attacking from Pog which ultimately has left him almost tanked out, also a day where either could have been out of the race.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I haven't watched the TdF, or any other competitive cycling, in recent years, feeling a bit weary with the whole drugs thing. But yesterday I tuned in, largely for the scenery, and enjoyed the two main protagonists making a great piece of entertainment. And Geraint (local boy) doggedly hanging in there.
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

hemo wrote: 21 Jul 2022, 7:48pm A second day of great attacking from Pog which ultimately has left him almost tanked out, also a day where either could have been out of the race.
Yes and a great sporting gesture by Vingegaard waiting for Pogacar after his fall.Respect shown and respect deserved.A worthy winner.
For me this has been a classic Tour and one I'll remember for all the right reasons!
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

PedallingSquares wrote: 22 Jul 2022, 9:45am
hemo wrote: 21 Jul 2022, 7:48pm A second day of great attacking from Pog which ultimately has left him almost tanked out, also a day where either could have been out of the race.
Yes and a great sporting gesture by Vingegaard waiting for Pogacar after his fall.Respect shown and respect deserved.A worthy winner.
For me this has been a classic Tour and one I'll remember for all the right reasons!
Indeed. Great racing, amazing performances (or as Sean K would say "unbelievable"!). I have no particular moral stance on "assistance" (Pantani remains my favourite rider), my cynicism does not detract from the enjoyment of the spectacle.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PedallingSquares wrote: 22 Jul 2022, 9:45am
I too will remember it as one of the great TdFs,yesterday's stage in particular was a classic show of strength,tactics and above all true sportsmanship of the best in sport,beautiful to watch and enjoy!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Isn't it the risk you take attacking on a downhill though, you are hoping that your opponent will either be unable to descend as quickly, or will crash, whilst hoping you will not crash yourself. It seems fair to carry on.
AlanD

Post by AlanD »

I love to watch TdF each year and usually manage to sit through bits of each day. My Wife, who is not a cyclist, enjoys the countryside and chateau's. I never fail to be astounded by the behaviour of fans watching on the roadside and that leads into my first observation.

When there is a steep hillclimb, that's where the fans get crowded and the completely block the road, only stepping back at the last moment to let the rider pass, thus the riders are forced to go in single file. So what would happen if several riders are level pegging and decide to compete for the hill i.e. they are not single file, but side by side. Would the fans step back and let them, or in their excitement to have a view, not see that there are several riders and obstruct/cause a collision? I have never seen a rider run into a fan, but no doubt it has happened?
Has a rider ever delivered a punch to a particularly irritating fan? I know I'd be tempted if someone was running alongside shouting at me and waving his flag in my face.

I don't usually pay too much attention to the conversation of the commentators, they need to keep the conversation going because silence does not work well on television. But when I hear them talking about the riders strategy, I hear them mentioning 'Policing duty' and 'On patrol' What are they talking about ???

Do like hearing the recipe's and wine list though.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Postboxer wrote: 22 Jul 2022, 3:31pm Isn't it the risk you take attacking on a downhill though, you are hoping that your opponent will either be unable to descend as quickly, or will crash, whilst hoping you will not crash yourself. It seems fair to carry on.
But more of the true sportsman to wait and not to attack the only real threat to your lead when he's down?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
rjb

Post by rjb »

Has a rider ever delivered a punch to a particularly irritating fan? I know I'd be tempted if someone was running alongside shouting at me and waving his flag in my face.

[/quote]

Frequent occurrence.
Here's Berti delivering the knockout blow. :lol:

S5d4_hk6T5iNRM2MVlH07dxT7MH-ov7NmyOaOxj9B9Q.jpg
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

AlanD wrote: 22 Jul 2022, 3:40pm I love to watch TdF each year and usually manage to sit through bits of each day. My Wife, who is not a cyclist, enjoys the countryside and chateau's. I never fail to be astounded by the behaviour of fans watching on the roadside and that leads into my first observation.

When there is a steep hillclimb, that's where the fans get crowded and the completely block the road, only stepping back at the last moment to let the rider pass, thus the riders are forced to go in single file. So what would happen if several riders are level pegging and decide to compete for the hill i.e. they are not single file, but side by side. Would the fans step back and let them, or in their excitement to have a view, not see that there are several riders and obstruct/cause a collision? I have never seen a rider run into a fan, but no doubt it has happened?

I don't usually pay too much attention to the conversation of the commentators, they need to keep the conversation going because silence does not work well on television. But when I hear them talking about the riders strategy, I hear them mentioning 'Policing duty' and 'On patrol' What are they talking about ???

Do like hearing the recipe's and wine list though.
Policing the break or Policing duty is the race leader’s team having a rider in the breakaway, who does not contribute to the pace making. He just sits on the back of the break. Or sometimes a rider will “police” the front of the main group in a similar manner.

I remember Gianni Bugno hitting a spectator with his bike wheel, after he had been brought off by him on a hairpin bend.
Last edited by TrevA on 22 Jul 2022, 11:51pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

If the spectators could come together with a hive mind, they would be able to slightly alter each rider's route, giving their favourites the shortest/easiest routes and having others having to zigzag all over the road.

Pete Kennaugh was on the coverage one day saying how the spectator filled climbs can be far worse than we see on TV for the riders without the cameras and lead motorcycles going up ahead of them on the climbs.
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

It's all part of the Tours atmosphere.No other sport allows the fans such proximity to the participants.The odd nutter flag or banner wafting can spoil it but the riders are well prepared for it and I'm sure some thrive on it.It also makes for some amazing still shots like the 2014 TDF Yorkshire stage on Buttertubs Pass!Riders and spectators as one 8)

I think it was the Vuelta a couple of years ago when the police tried harder to keep the fans back and some police were a bit over zealous.I think it needs to be policed correctly without detracting from the spectacle.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
And yet again vehicles are involved in Downing riders.
Unusually two Rider's are downed by two MOTORCYCLES within seconds of each other!

I personally don't rate the car or the motorcyclist at all, for their skill in handling their machines.

On Poge, A lot of over optimism and somewhat reckless performance, including the downhill bit.
But full marks for trying.

Only a disaster will affect the podium.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Having followed the TDF since a teenager I sometimes miss the days when the rider wasn't in constant communication with the team car and Their team mates. The race today is very exciting but less down to the riders instinct, much more to the detailed info to and from the team car.
Likewise I'm not keen on heart rate monitors.

Nearly 79 and looking back with some nostalgia to the old days.