Covid Pneumonia, starting training after serious illness

Natastrophe

Covid Pneumonia, starting training after serious illness

Post by Natastrophe »

So many covid threads, but each a little different.

Background:

9 months ago, I was in hospital with serious covid pneumonia, for a month. A further 2 were on bedrest, and only then did I slowly start walking again. Walking was always a struggle though, but 6 months in I was walking a mile 3 days a week. In the last few months the last of the fatigue of pneumonia has lifted, and I started cycling again as I tolerate it much better than walking.

I'm really looking to hear others recovery stories from pneumonia, mine was the most serious type and I have some lung scaring. Thankfully i'm blowing a good peak flow for my age, and do not have issues with breathlessness.

Prior to all this, I was very fit, running 5k 3 times a week, cycling too and hiking at the weekends!

I have managed 30 mins cycling 3 times a week for the last 3 weeks, and decided to increase one of my three rides to 45 minutes. While I managed this just fine, I did suffer a tight chest for a day or so. This cleared, so a few days later I did a 30 minute ride. Again, the following day, slight chest tightness that passed as the day went on (today actually!)

I ride an e-bike so I can take the sting out of hills as my legs are still a bit weak.

I've heard that it can take a year or more to regain full fitness?

I make sure that during a cycle ride I stay well hydrated and keep in zone 1. I do not feel fatigue after a ride, but can get these mild symptoms, like chest soreness and heavy eyes.

I have spoken to my GP and a physio and they are not concerned, however I just wanted to hear your stories, wether covid or pervious respiratory infections