Velobins Panniers

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
xpc316e

Velobins Panniers

Post by xpc316e »

Many years ago I bought a pair of hard plastic panniers from a company known as Bikebins. I fell in love with them because of the great design features. They have flat tops and the lids have sturdy loops around the edge to facilitate the use of bungee cords/straps to secure loads. When mounted on my Topeak Supertourist rack they provide a really large, stable load platform to which I can secure all manner of big packages that would normally prove impossible to carry safely by bike. I also like that they are made from recycled plastic.

The panniers are lockable and can be easily secured to the carrier with a cable lock. They are fully waterproof and mount/dismount in seconds. Filling them with awkwardly shaped goods is harder than a fabric pannier would be, but their solidity provides a measure of protection from knocks and scrapes that fabric panniers fail to do, so it's a case of swings and roundabouts.

They can make a drumming sound when empty and poor road surfaces exacerbate this tendency. However, the large flat surfaces that create this are also ideal for mounting reflective material to enhance visibility, so again you win some, you lose some.

The panniers are now due for a bit of TLC following the breakage of a couple of latches. An internet search revealed that they are now sold by a company called Velobin. I emailed them asking about spares and prices, and to my amazement they said they send replacements to me free of charge.

I already loved the product, but to find a company that looks after the customers of a former owner of the firm is truly exceptional. Thanks Velobin.
Riding a Dahon Jetstream P9 folder, an early 90s Vision R30 above seat steered recumbent, and the latest acquisition, a Haibike Sduro Trekking 4.0 electric bike.