Ice train germany

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
st599_uk

Re: Ice train germany

Post by st599_uk »

albal1 wrote: 30 Sep 2022, 3:03pm So far , it's going ok. Currently near baden baden. Don't arrive kehl until well after 1700hrs. Trust me to book on a holiday weekend!. Been a few delays, very busy.
Had a quick scan on SNCF. No bike spaces until tomorrow 1700hr. Or am i on the wrong site?

I,m going to go straight to cherbourg, so looked at the train tomorrow to Rouen , again no spaces until late afternoon.
Happy German Unity Day for Monday. If you get stuck at Baden-Baden, it's a wonderful little town to explore (but it's about 5km from the station to the actual town).
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

albal1 wrote: 30 Sep 2022, 3:03pm So far , it's going ok. Currently near baden baden. Don't arrive kehl until well after 1700hrs. Trust me to book on a holiday weekend!. Been a few delays, very busy.
Had a quick scan on SNCF. No bike spaces until tomorrow 1700hr. Or am i on the wrong site?

I,m going to go straight to cherbourg, so looked at the train tomorrow to Rouen , again no spaces until late afternoon.
Likely correct although I use the app so I get e tickets etc. Focus on single legs of your journey. But likely on the TGV the bike spaces are booked- it’s a weekend etc. TER may be the way to go. On the website (not so much the app) you can Unclick the high speed trains post search to see the TER ones. Make sure it is a train and not a bus. You don’t need to book TER bike spaces in most regions- they are free and first come first served- basically everyone piles on. I try to avoid the busy trains. I was on a TER on a Sunday morning about a month ago and I just wheeled on and rested my bike- there were six spaces to hang it up for commuters but it was just me and a mountain biker.

For TGV reservations you must get on at the correct carriage that you are reserved on (and will have the bike space for you) but they will display info for you in good time to figure out where it will be before it arrives.
albal1

Post by albal1 »

Yes, thanks for the update.
I rolled into the ticket enquiries at Strasbourg. About an hour later, i,ve a few tickets in my hand.

All a bit of a faff, at weekend it seems. Very busy. Bad planning on my part.

Strasbourg - Paris. Tgv booked with bike . €107. + €10 for the bike.
Paris - Rouen. Nomad.
Rouen - Caen. Tex
Caen- Cherbourg.nomad.

All in around €200

Going to be a long day.
Depart this am. 0540hrs.
Arriving cherbourg. 2013hrs

Tho, i,m likely to ride from carentan, as plenty of time for the boat, sun.p.m.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Good news- Sounds like a long day and a bit expensive but glad you got a bike reservation. I did a similar day a couple of weeks ago. Last chance of serious patisserie before the UK!