handlebar advice

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
samsbike

handlebar advice

Post by samsbike »

Hi, I need some help please.

I have a Raleigh hybrid on which the bars are relatively low and flat (well its a hybrid). Due to back issues, which moves my forward mobility is restricted, I cannot comfortably reach the bars.

I am thinking of changing to something like the planet x mollymawk bars - https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HBOOMM/on ... -handlebar

Would this be a good option?

I know I can get riser stems etc, but I still cant get over how ugly they are and I have already put a 15 degree stem on mine.

thanks
cycle tramp

Re: handlebar advice

Post by cycle tramp »

20220620_114358.jpg
Here's my current set up. That's a 120 mm long stem at 45 degrees, from SPA Cycles and a handlebar from Humpert Etgotech from Saint John Street Cycles

The stem is as about as beautiful as genital warts* but luckily my bike isn't a thing of beauty so no-one notices.
However my bike is really comfortable, and from the saddle I can't actually see the stem, so that's a bonus :-)

(* apologies in advance to the forum moderators, however as it is a true medical condition and not actually a profanity I stand by its use in this instance :D)
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

20220620_114358.jpg
20220620_114358.jpg (94.98 KiB) Viewed 1571 times
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Additional; at 9.99 the mollmawk handlebar isn't a bad price... however at its original price of 29.99 you would have to like the idea of alloy handlebars alot because..

..oxford products do their own handlebars in chromed steel in the same shape for just under 15 squids, and so does humpert ergotech...

I would also check out rivbike's website as well, as they make dedicated 'un-racer' bicycles.
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

Thanks. My bike is aluminium and had black vars currently so the planet x bars work. Seem very close to a nitto albatross, so will give them a go. At the moment I can't ride the bike at all
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Blimey, Sam,this seems like a long time ago! viewtopic.php?t=74985

Have you been injured?
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

Immortalised forever lol.

Hi Colin hope you are well.

Managed to pull something in my back 6 weeks ago and still has not healed.

Hence are upright position, again!! :--)
531colin

Post by 531colin »

6 weeks is much too long......go see somebody!
brumster

Post by brumster »

531colin wrote: 18 Jul 2022, 6:47pm 6 weeks is much too long......go see somebody!
Yes agree. I've had similar complaint and have found some improvement having carried out some stretching coutesy of NHS videos on youTube. However got an appointment with the physio tomorrow as still not 100%.
resus1uk

Post by resus1uk »

As I need an upright position due to back problems, I went old school with North Road bars on my two trikes and a Bob Jackson mixte. All the cockpits are identical layouts and controls with downtube shifters.
I had a Dutch bike with similar bars, in stainless steel but sold it when I moved from the flat city and vale of York to the Peak District as it was too heavy.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

samsbike wrote: 18 Jul 2022, 6:08pm Thanks. My bike is aluminium and had black vars currently so the planet x bars work. Seem very close to a nitto albatross, so will give them a go. At the moment I can't ride the bike at all
Black Vars would make a great password, Google knows nothing about it, is that an illness?
I am here. Where are you?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

cycle tramp wrote: 18 Jul 2022, 5:22pm 20220620_114358.jpg

Here's my current set up. That's a 120 mm long stem at 45 degrees, from SPA Cycles and a handlebar from Humpert Etgotech from Saint John Street Cycles

The stem is as about as beautiful as genital warts* but luckily my bike isn't a thing of beauty so no-one notices.
However my bike is really comfortable, and from the saddle I can't actually see the stem, so that's a bonus :-)

(* apologies in advance to the forum moderators, however as it is a true medical condition and not actually a profanity I stand by its use in this instance :D)
Are you a big fella ? Just that that bike frame looks like it was too small and needed modified to suit someone much taller.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Hired an electric ( volt) bike last week while on holiday but because it was short notice I ended up with this style of bike with swept back bars --- as it turns out I quite enjoyed the relaxed hand position.
20220714_144321_1.jpg
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Cowsham wrote: 19 Jul 2022, 11:55am
cycle tramp wrote: 18 Jul 2022, 5:22pm 20220620_114358.jpg

Are you a big fella ? Just that that bike frame looks like it was too small and needed modified to suit someone much taller.
Oh yes, the frame is undersized. At the time when I bought it 2nd hand the frame size worked well with flat bars a 110 mm stem at 17 degrees and a straight seat post... however the change to a 45 degree stem at 120 cm long means that I've lost 10 mm of length, and the pull back bars mean I've lost even more.... :-o Hence the laid back seat post

At the moment I'm building a mk2 with a larger frame so I can compare the two. However I kinda like the lower step over height with this one.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Cowsham wrote: 19 Jul 2022, 12:08pm Hired an electric ( volt) bike last week while on holiday but because it was short notice I ended up with this style of bike with swept back bars --- as it turns out I quite enjoyed the relaxed hand position.

20220714_144321_1.jpg
Yeah, absolutely... I've just returned from a 10 minute ride to the shops and back on mine..

..it was great, caught some of the views, from the hill where I lived, enjoyed the breeze and the brief spell of exercise from a day of inactivity....

.the trouble is now adays, if you build a bike which is comfortable to ride, and inexpensive and ride it wearing normal clothes.. its like you're not taking 'it', the 'thing' that is modern cycling seriously enough....

...and to be fair why should i :-) the bicycle is a ludicrously simple, easy to understand, fabulous, wondrous thing which allows us to experience the outside world and get stuff done at the same time... sure we can make it about strava or mileages or technology if we want, but I don't think we should attempt to take any of the joy or freedom or its practical use away from those bikes who don't aspire to be any of those things.