Another motorist prosecuted for a close pass.

xerxes

Re: Another motorist prosecuted for a close pass.

Post by xerxes »

De Sisti wrote: 21 Jul 2022, 5:14pm
I also drive BMW and am more like Reginald Molehusband. :wink:
I think only those of us of a certain age will understand that reference!
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Tangled Metal wrote: 22 Jul 2022, 7:12am
hemo wrote: 20 Jul 2022, 12:00pm One would hope that even just looking at the two still pics that they will decide to go with option C.
It is clear the riders right elbow/arm is in view so really leaves very little clearance to the o/s of him, the pass is unacceptable and one would think the Nissan being in the same film clip will show how dangerous the Land rover drivers pass was.
Looks like a fingernail to me but a stern letter or visit is unlikely to have as much impact as a motoring conviction so I tend to agree with you.
That's my thumbnail, and I was on the inside, so you can image how close the Land Rover got to the rider on my right.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

De Sisti wrote: 22 Jul 2022, 2:44pm
Tangled Metal wrote: 22 Jul 2022, 7:12am
hemo wrote: 20 Jul 2022, 12:00pm One would hope that even just looking at the two still pics that they will decide to go with option C.
It is clear the riders right elbow/arm is in view so really leaves very little clearance to the o/s of him, the pass is unacceptable and one would think the Nissan being in the same film clip will show how dangerous the Land rover drivers pass was.
Looks like a fingernail to me but a stern letter or visit is unlikely to have as much impact as a motoring conviction so I tend to agree with you.
That's my thumbnail, and I was on the inside, so you can image how close the Land Rover got to the rider on my right.
so there was another rider between you and the land rover ? I thought he was a bit close to you,
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Debs wrote: 22 Jul 2022, 1:43am A couple of weeks ago i had the closest pass possible without actually drawing blood.

What is usually a very safe quiet country lane, 4m wide tarmac road with (occasional passing places).
I was riding on my own at about 15mph, i heard a vehicle approaching from the rear with horn receptively beeping, but no where for me to get out of the way, thin grass verge with deep ditch to side of road, but i upped my speed to 18mph to get up the road 100 meters where it widens and to give safer overtaking, however the vehicle behind was travelling at excessive speed - my estimate 50mph and didn't slow down when overtaking me with estimated clearance of a few inches.

As the vehicle passed it swerved in towards me as it overtook, and continued to swerve in towards me as i applied brakes, almost brushed shoulder on the side of vehicle but it was speeding so fast it got in front missing my front wheel by an inch or two, thought i was going to get bumped off the road and down the ditch.
The vehicle continued to speed off at 50mph + and with the repetitive horn blowing continuo...

Didn't have time to read the whole number plate darn it, just FT07 _ _ _ and it was a silver 4x4 pickup truck.

Didn't see who was driving or how many, don't know the make of vehicle.

Reported in to the police - got an incident number.
Had a call back from the police, to check i was okay, and to say they sent me an email and if i see this vehicle again please report the whole reg number and a photo of vehicle if possible (...but do not approach if the maniac madman is present)

The FT07 reg is regionally sold in the Fens/Lincolnshire area, so maybe not many around the Powys border.

TBH this incident has really shock me up.
Even if you had managed to note the whole reg, your uncorroborated evidence might not have been enough for bad driving proceedings. I also take it that "a couple of weeks ago" means that it's now too late for an NIP. Bearing in mind how close you may have come to serious injury and the importance of trying to prevent a repeat, then there may be value in persisting with this. It really does seem unlikely to me that "an otherwise law abiding driver" has had a single episode of red mist and will now get back on the strait and narrow. It's possible, eg that it's recently changed hands and a baddy now runs it. The next targeted cyclist may not be as "lucky" as you.

IMO, this sounds like assault - not necessarily easy to prove when a vehicle is the weapon - but at the very least it might be possible to serve a notice under s 59 of the Police Reform Act 2002

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2002/30/section/59

An advantage of s 59 is that it focuses on the vehicle rather than the driver so the more the users distance themselves from it, eg by denying knowledge, the easier it is to use this legislation.

Assuming you have the FT07 bit correct then it's already reduced to a maximum of 999 vehicle registrations, of which only a fraction will have been silver pickups. After some fifteen years, even fewer will survive and fewer still will be kosher. As a starter, it doesn't seem unreasonable to me for the police to check the possibilities. I'm totally out-of-date on what the various watchdoggies deem OK in terms of computer searches but trying to save lives on the roads seems important to me.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

thirdcrank wrote: 22 Jul 2022, 5:20pm .....
Assuming you have the FT07 bit correct then it's already reduced to a maximum of 999 vehicle registrations, of which only a fraction will have been silver pickups.
Registrations starting FT07 will end "ABC" or "XYZ", which means a lot more possibilities; well over 10,000, even allowing that not every letter is used and certain combinations are never issued.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Nigel wrote: 22 Jul 2022, 7:58pm
thirdcrank wrote: 22 Jul 2022, 5:20pm .....
Assuming you have the FT07 bit correct then it's already reduced to a maximum of 999 vehicle registrations, of which only a fraction will have been silver pickups.
Registrations starting FT07 will end "ABC" or "XYZ", which means a lot more possibilities; well over 10,000, even allowing that not every letter is used and certain combinations are never issued.
Yes. My bad memory.
Debs

Post by Debs »

thirdcrank wrote: 22 Jul 2022, 5:20pm I also take it that "a couple of weeks ago" means that it's now too late for an NIP.
The incident happened on Saturday 9th July 2022 at approximately 19:30hr
I reported it in on the following Monday 11th July by phoning the 101 number, and was asked why i hadn't reported it in sooner -
i did actually try on the internet but a glitch on their website merely wasted an hour and a half of my time...

The same Police internet website suggested my most local Police Station was open on Mondays - 11 miles away so i drove there in my car with a signed written statement on A4 all ready to hand over, however the local Station was closed to public with a note on the door saying to phone 101, so i went back home (22 round trip journey for nuffin) and phoned 101 to be put though and explain it all to the wrong police region (this is the Welsh side of the border here) but after the 3rd time of trying got hold of the right person eventually. I was beginning to think it was like the wild west, and one had to wait weeks for the Marshal to ride into town with his white hat on.

But things went a lot better then on, i am quite impressed with how they responded and took the incident seriously, and i have an incident number plus an email address to a Policewoman Liz who would like to know the whole reg if i see the vehicle again.

This is a very rural area, lots of 4x4 pickups, but Foxtrot Tango was originally a Fens/Lincolnshire sold vehicle so if it's now locally owned around here in the Welsh Marches it maybe the only silver FT07 4x4 pickup truck.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Re a timely NIP, I wasn't criticising you, just, just making a point of fact.

My point about the possibility of tracing the vehicle and through it possibly the offender is obviously weakened by mistakenly thinking only 999 was missing when it's something like23x23x23 which as Nigel has pointed out is a a bigger number. After 15 years, relatively few cars are still in the hands of the original owner and they can quickly end up anywhere. This applies particularly to fleet ownership of evert type.

Happily, you were not killed, so the research has not been needed for an inquest. I suppose one question is how much should be undertaken to prevent further similar offending.
Debs

Post by Debs »

thirdcrank wrote: 22 Jul 2022, 8:31pm I suppose one question is how much should be undertaken to prevent further similar offending.
I think generally a good start is encouraging people who cycle to get an on board bike or helmet camera.
( Caveat - i don't believe cameras on bicycles should be compulsory )
There isn't really anything that can be done to stop lunatics driving dangerously, but more can be done to record, report, identify, and pursue.

BTW, the call back i had from the policewoman; she said the database was checked for FT07 Silver pickup truck and no vehicle like that fits the description local to where i live. It happened on a very minor local road that is only really useful for local people, so the vehicle maybe illegal with DVLA documentation, or an outsider vehicle interloping purely for mischief - pinching farm equipment, fly tipping, murdering cyclists...

The red mist may have been present in the truck cab, but this was no doing on my part.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Here are two vehicles that overtook our group on Saturday 16th July at 10:28am. The Nissan made an exemplary
manoeuvre, whereas the tailgating Land Rover Discover almost clipped the elbow of the rider to my right.

Pebble wrote: 22 Jul 2022, 2:57pm so there was another rider between you and the land rover ? I thought he was a bit close to you,
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

Whilst I agree that close passes are not much fun there are two ways of dealing with it.You either let it knock your confidence and make you scared to ride or you don't.
Poo happens.
I've been clipped once or twice over the years and I've also been 'over the bonnet' of cars,at speed,on my motorbike.Believe me bouncing off a car and hitting Tarmac at 50mph hurts,even with leathers on,but you have to shrug it off and get back on.I look back now and it's actually quite funny in a way but at the time it could have been worse.
Stay positive.What happens is rarely in your hands but that's life!
One thing is certain it will always happen as despite all the campaigns it looks like it's on the increase.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Debs wrote: 22 Jul 2022, 11:14pm
purely for mischief - pinching farm equipment, fly tipping, murdering cyclists...
Indeed. And you'll probably find they're immune from prosecution. Any likely communities around the area?
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

I was contacted today by PC Karen Saunders (apologising for lack of communication and)
who said that, after reviewing the footage of the incident I sent to her, the traffic department
(I think that's what they are called) were going to send a strongly-worded letter to the driver
of the Land Rover Discovery about the close-pass and warning him about his future driving
behaviour.

Better than nothing. I hope he heeds their words.
Last edited by De Sisti on 27 Jul 2022, 6:49pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks for adding the outcome.

Jonathan