Fixed gear and knees

3speednut

Fixed gear and knees

Post by 3speednut »

I have recently got really into fixed grear /single speed and having just turned 60 I don't want my enthusiasm for this to damage my knees, I have it geared quite low 46 chain ring and 18 sprocket and avoiding the worst of the local hills and quite happy walking up if it gets too hilly what I'm saying is I'm quite sensible with it but is it a good idea at my age to get into thisI don't want to damage my knees, I don't have any knee problems currently and dont feel like I'm doing damage, but im getting so much fun out of this and don't want to ruin it.
bikes4two

Re: Fixed gear and knees

Post by bikes4two »

Knees have been my weak point for a few years now and the thought of riding 'fixed' fills me with terror.

I'm sure advocates of 'fixed' will be along shortly to give positive thoughts on your question but 'conventional' wisdom on setting your bike up goes into some detail about getting saddle postion/height 'just so' and to use the gears for a good/high cadence, both to avoid future knee problems.

Of course the 'fixed' rider can get the saddle position right, but the cadence thing........?

Maybe of course, if I'd tried 'fixed' years ago, I might not now have the knee issues that I do???
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Calendar years aren't that important from here on.

Exercise and having fun are.

I wouldn't worry about damaging joints with one important exception... don't push through pain. If you don't feel as if you're doing damage then you probably aren't.

Jonathan
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

Do you or your family have any history of arthritic type damage in any joints, not just knees.
If not then you're probably fine, go for it.
If there is then it's more iffy, keep track of any pain and don't ignore any warning signs.

Luck ...... :D
3speednut

Post by 3speednut »

Jdsk wrote: 21 Jul 2022, 4:54pm Calendar years aren't that important from here on.

Exercise and having fun are.

I wouldn't worry about damaging joints with one important exception... don't push through pain. If you don't feel as if you're doing damage then you probably aren't.

Jonathan
Good advice and I am not the sort of person to keep going through pain but rather listen to what my body is saying, Im probably the least competitive person ever so never had any motivation to ride fast beat PBs or even ride sporty bikes but somehow the fixed thing does it for me and slots into an unfilled gap in my cycling experience.
3speednut

Post by 3speednut »

Tigerbiten wrote: 21 Jul 2022, 6:30pm Do you or your family have any history of arthritic type damage in any joints, not just knees.
If not then you're probably fine, go for it.
If there is then it's more iffy, keep track of any pain and don't ignore any warning signs.

Luck ...... :D
There's no history of arthritic joint problems in the family but will remain vigilant for any.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

This was much discussed when fixed became a "new" trend c. 25 years ago. Received wisdom was yes, damages knees, but there were as best I recall no then contemporaneous reports or claims from regular, long term, fixed riders.
I rode fixed as a teen and then for some 5 years when in my late 50s, early 60s.
My knees one of the few parts of my body that are just fine! Just don't push big gears!
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

3speednut wrote: 21 Jul 2022, 4:08pm I have recently got really into fixed grear /single speed and having just turned 60 I don't want my enthusiasm for this to damage my knees, I have it geared quite low 46 chain ring and 18 sprocket and avoiding the worst of the local hills and quite happy walking up if it gets too hilly what I'm saying is I'm quite sensible with it but is it a good idea at my age to get into thisI don't want to damage my knees, I don't have any knee problems currently and dont feel like I'm doing damage, but im getting so much fun out of this and don't want to ruin it.
On a 27” wheel I make that a 69” gear, to me that seems to be too high. Wayfarer, a very experienced fixed gear cyclist, used 63”, see: https://www.cyclingnorthwales.co.uk/pages/wayfarer.htm . As it happens 63” was * the top gear on my three speed hub and I was too often very glad of the two lower ones. I claim no expertise but I’d say that avoidance of knee problems would likely be aided by a lower gear … maybe start with something in the 50’s?

* now lowered ‘cause shifting my dog by my bike is hard work. I found 63” a flexible top gear on the three speed, a nice compromise for a solo rider, but YMMV.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

68 or 69 inches used to be regarded as about the right place to start; I found I preferred 64 inch.
Gears in the fifties are OK for a single freewheel, but I wouldn't fancy it downhill on fixed.
rfryer

Post by rfryer »

I got into riding fixed in my thirties, and phased it out on my forties, partly due to knee pain (which never became acute to the point of needing medical treatment).

I was trying to be quite purist, avoiding use of brakes if there was any possibility of slowing by use of back pressure on the pedals.

With hindsight, I'd advise my younger self to make more liberal use of the brake lever, both when stopping, and when descending steep hills. Unfortunately, my younger self would probably have ignored me, because that approach detracts (for me, at least) from the appeal of riding fixed.

Maybe, the approach should be to enjoy it while you can, mitigate risks of knee pain of it doesn't affect your enjoyment, and be ready to give up promptly if you spot the early signs of problems.

Have fun!
3speednut

Post by 3speednut »

The bike has 700c wheels I worked it out month's ago and I think it was about 68inch, it seems about right for most local up and downs if I choose my route carefully and I will certainly take on board all the above advice.I have started useing back pressure on the pedals to slow down and hold it back on descents but not for any proper braking I feel like that would be too much pressure on my knees, maybe with experience I could spin faster and then go for lower sixties gearing but at the moment I am at my spinning limit on downhills. I also have built up a wheel with a 3speed hub for the bike so making it a bit more versatile so it can be either fixed, single speed or 3speed and quick and easy to swap between them.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Sturmey Archer 3 speed fixed hub......now that was something!
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
3speednut wrote: 21 Jul 2022, 4:08pm I have recently got really into fixed grear /single speed and having just turned 60 I don't want my enthusiasm for this to damage my knees, I have it geared quite low 46 chain ring and 18 sprocket and avoiding the worst of the local hills and quite happy walking up if it gets too hilly what I'm saying is I'm quite sensible with it but is it a good idea at my age to get into thisI don't want to damage my knees, I don't have any knee problems currently and dont feel like I'm doing damage, but im getting so much fun out of this and don't want to ruin it.
High gears wont damage your knees just bad foot articulation (natural= like walking and running).
If you have been cycling for some time in your life without problems then I dont see a problem, just get those calfs subtle, with exercises :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

3speednut wrote: 6 Aug 2022, 4:48pm I also have built up a wheel with a 3speed hub for the bike so making it a bit more versatile so it can be either fixed, single speed or 3speed and quick and easy to swap between them.
In the ‘fullness of time’, when you have had a good chance to test out and ‘hone’ all three drives, it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on and experiences with them, please.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
fossala

Post by fossala »

I’m my experience you have a higher chance of knee pain on gears than fixed.