St Malo - Portsmouth Ferry

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
iandusud

St Malo - Portsmouth Ferry

Post by iandusud »

We are travelling to Brittany for a couple of weeks in August and will be returning on the crossing from St Malo to Portsmouth. The ferry is scheduled to arrive at 18h20. Does anyone have any experience of this crossing and if so can they tell me if the timing are generally accurate (the last time I used Brittany Ferries on the Caen route I seem to remember the ferry running ahead of schedule, but that was over 30 years ago). Also any ideas on how long to allow for disembarking and getting through customs and out of the harbour? I'm asking because we need to catch a train up to London the same evening and it will help with planning/booking. Thanks
simonineaston

Re: St Malo - Portsmouth Ferry

Post by simonineaston »

Can you confirm that you're travelling as foot passengers, with your cycles?
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

simonineaston wrote: 23 Jul 2022, 8:42am Can you confirm that you're travelling as foot passengers, with your cycles?
Yes. should have said.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Our experiences were before the outbreak and whatever has gone wrong with the border controls at Dover.

Ferry arrival times have generally been accurate.

On bikes getting out of the port area has been OK. We ride past any queues up to the next control point, smile, and push in.

But I'd probably get a ticket which allowed us on a later train. What's the state of play for reservations on your train route?

Jonathan
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

The hold up is getting off the ferry. Pedal cycles are in a side room off the car deck, and you simply cannot get out until the row of cars immediately adjacent has moved. Once that has happened, all is plain sailing :P and you can get to and through passport control easily.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Perhaps one vote in favour of touring France with a Brompton, in that you really are a foot passenger while its folded... ?
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Thank you for the helpful replies. I've looked at booking train tickets but they all say "ticket valid for this service only". The ferry is due to dock at 18h20 and there are direct trains from Portsmouth Harbour at 19h15, 19h45, 19h59, 20h19... added to this is our need to get our tandem on board (it splits in two so can be taken as two solos) and therefore book two bike spaces.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Good Luck - hope it all goes as planned :-)
S
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Ferries normally dock on time because of limited space and access. They all have a pretty tight docking schedule.

Not enough room to get down side of car deck
so we crossed first line of cars and managed to work out way to the front so first off. If you miss this slot, you can be held up till most vehicles are off. Unfortunately it's a bit of a gamble. First off straight to passport and out of docks in 5 mins. If not first off, how happy are you at queue jumping

The station (P and Southsea) only 10 mins away on mainly cycle/shared path. As far as I know no booking needed for bikes on the Waterloo services - well I didn't - 3 times now. Just rolled on into bike space. I'd leave at least an hour.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

iandusud wrote: 23 Jul 2022, 9:31am Thank you for the helpful replies. I've looked at booking train tickets but they all say "ticket valid for this service only". The ferry is due to dock at 18h20 and there are direct trains from Portsmouth Harbour at 19h15, 19h45, 19h59, 20h19... added to this is our need to get our tandem on board (it splits in two so can be taken as two solos) and therefore book two bike spaces.
Isn’t that a train service where bike spaces can’t be reserved anyway? I’d just get an anytime single, avoids stress.

I am having similar thoughts about getting from Roscoff to Morlaix on my bike after the ferry docks for a
and disembarks for a TGV service that I’ve had to book but I’ve firmly told my inner worry to shut up.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Ferries normally dock on time because of limited space and access. They all have a pretty tight docking schedule.

Not enough room to get down side of car deck
so we crossed first line of cars and managed to work out way to the front so first off. If you miss this slot, you can be held up till most vehicles are off. Unfortunately it's a bit of a gamble. First off straight to passport and out of docks in 5 mins. If not first off, how happy are you at queue jumping

The station (P and Southsea) only 10 mins away on mainly cycle/shared path. Platform may need lift up, so bit of time there to get it sorted.

As far as I know no booking needed for bikes on the Waterloo services - well I didn't - 3 times now. Just rolled on into bike space.

I'd leave at least an hour maybe more to be on the safe side.
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

Yeah, a lot depends on when you disembark the ferry, which is just luck of the draw. Sometimes you’ll be first and other times you’ll be held back to watch the cars

Looking at photos of a past trip I was at the station within half an hour of docking so a quick connection is possible, but all depends on when you get off the boat
mjr

Post by mjr »

iandusud wrote: 23 Jul 2022, 9:31am Thank you for the helpful replies. I've looked at booking train tickets but they all say "ticket valid for this service only". The ferry is due to dock at 18h20 and there are direct trains from Portsmouth Harbour at 19h15, 19h45, 19h59, 20h19... added to this is our need to get our tandem on board (it splits in two so can be taken as two solos) and therefore book two bike spaces.
An Anytime Day Single ticket from Portsmouth to Waterloo is £42.70. An off-peak return is 10p more and an anytime return is just under £83. There may also be timed-train discount tickets called 'Advance' but you'll need to be conservative on timing. You can buy the other tickets (Anytime and Off-Peak) in advance, usually as PDF or Passbook app as well as collect at station (but usually no discount for doing so, but saves time at the station), so the name is confusing.

I thought it was first come first served unreserved cycle spaces but the website says "Free of charge. Reservations Compulsory. Between two and twelve cycle spaces per train, depending on rolling stock." So I guess you'll have to pick a time. No harm asking the stationmaster and train guard if you can travel earlier if you arrive earlier.

Also, I think the international ferry port is nearer Portsmouth and Southsea station than Portsmouth Harbour, but check that on a map.
Last edited by mjr on 23 Jul 2022, 11:08am, edited 1 time in total.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

There's no need to get a service specific ticket. It probably wouldn't even save you any money.

As an example, I just went to the south west trains website. For this afternoon, a super off peak single (weekend afternoons and other very off peak) is £37, an anytime day single is £42.70 (what it says on the tin) and a super advanced single (specifies specific train) is £37.80.

If you can't do it online, pop along to your nearest ticket office and outline your requirements, or just use the machine/office at portsmouth harbour when you get there. It'll be fine.

** edit. haha. Looks like I was too slow doing my research!
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Interesting. In that case I would buy off peak singles and reserve bike spots and maybe even seats on the later train but try to go on an earlier one. It depends on the booking system as to whether that works but I’ve booked my bike tickets on GWR before my actual tickets and the website juste asks you to confirm you have train tickets before it spits a bike reservation out.