Cleaning contacts when on tour

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
DGG1941

Cleaning contacts when on tour

Post by DGG1941 »

On occasion the plug which connects the controller to the main wiring loom on my Neodrive motor has had to be cleaned out with an aerosol contact cleaner from WD40 - just squirt the stuff into the plug and let dry.
I am going on 2 week tour and am looking for a way of addressing this issue, should it occur, without lugging a large aerosol can along. Thoughts appreciated!
When I see an adult on a bicycle I do not despair for the human race, H G Wells.
yakdiver

Re: Cleaning contacts when on tour

Post by yakdiver »

They do a 80ml size
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Where is the crud coming from?

And could you clean the affected surfaces by wiping rather than spraying?

If there is enough access to wipe how about some proprietary cleaning wipes containing isopropanol? That's the same stuff as in WD-40 contact cleaner (but without the heptane and the propellant). That's good for this sort of task and won't upset an official in the way that a small bottle of isopropanol might.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=isopropanol+cleaning+wipes

Jonathan
Bsteel

Post by Bsteel »

DGG1941 wrote: 23 Jul 2022, 5:35pm On occasion the plug which connects the controller to the main wiring loom on my Neodrive motor has had to be cleaned out with an aerosol contact cleaner from WD40 - just squirt the stuff into the plug and let dry.
I am going on 2 week tour and am looking for a way of addressing this issue, should it occur, without lugging a large aerosol can along. Thoughts appreciated!
Cleaned out because it malfunctions or is there an instruction to clean it ?
DGG1941

Post by DGG1941 »

The plug is a small diameter 3 pin and the holes are inaccessible with a cloth. Nothing in the instructions about this, just found out by accident that the plug was the cause of the controller not functioning; once it had been cleaned all was well.
Other than a spray I suppose I could drip some isopropanol in, turn the plug face down and wait till it drys. And I can probably decant some of that into a small container.

Thanks everyone.
When I see an adult on a bicycle I do not despair for the human race, H G Wells.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

How about cotton buds for the female contacts?

Jonathan
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

If it needs attention within 2 weeks there is something badly wrong with design or material isn’t there. Can’t it be improved?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Paulatic wrote: 23 Jul 2022, 8:58pm If it needs attention within 2 weeks there is something badly wrong with design or material isn’t there. Can’t it be improved?
What I was thinking (and about to post). An electrical connector that work last 2 weeks needs replacing (warranty?)

Ian
Bsteel

Post by Bsteel »

As above, I do wonder if what you are seeing is a poor mechanical or electrical connection to the plug or socket that gets temporarily reconnected when you go through the act of cleaning, or possibly something is being reset when you the plug is disconnected. But as I don't know the product or plug that's a guess.