Dover etc grid lock

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Philip Benstead

Dover etc grid lock

Post by Philip Benstead »

With the problems at England's ports what is the situation regarding the cycle tourest getting aboard via ferries and euro tunnel?
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
richardfm

Re: Dover etc grid lock

Post by richardfm »

I don't know about the ferries, but apparently the tunnel is fine if you can get there. The problems are long queues on the roads leading to Dover holding up traffic heading to the tunnel as well as to the ferry port.
Richard M
Cardiff
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

richardfm wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 10:01am I don't know about the ferries, but apparently the tunnel is fine if you can get there. The problems are long queues on the roads leading to Dover holding up traffic heading to the tunnel as well as to the ferry port.

Can the cyclist jump the queue?
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Philip Benstead wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 10:03am
richardfm wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 10:01am I don't know about the ferries, but apparently the tunnel is fine if you can get there. The problems are long queues on the roads leading to Dover holding up traffic heading to the tunnel as well as to the ferry port.

I've just heard a report from a BBC man getting around East Kent on a bicycle because a car could not penetrate the jams.
Last edited by Mike Sales on 24 Jul 2022, 10:11am, edited 1 time in total.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I've responded in the Europe travel thread:
viewtopic.php?p=1710748#p1710748

Jonathan
mjr

Post by mjr »

Philip Benstead wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 10:03am

Not exactly: cyclists and walkers have their own queue most of the way into the ferry port and it has not had much backlog in it, according to reports.

I seem to recall that the Eurotunnel bike shuttle is regarded as a Eurotunnel vehicle and uses a different entrance most of the way. After all, why would they pay their driver to sit in the general queue longer?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Cycled up and down a quiet section of Sustrans route 3 this morning. Very pleased to see several groups of 4 pannier cycle tourists avoiding Dover and heading in the direction of our glorious West Country. :D

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
sizbut

Post by sizbut »

Philip Benstead wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 9:55am With the problems at England's ports what is the situation regarding the cycle tourest getting aboard via ferries and euro tunnel?
Port, it's just one port. Don't join in the media hyperbole.
mjr

Post by mjr »

al_yrpal wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 1:49pm Cycled up and down a quiet section of Sustrans route 3 this morning. Very pleased to see several groups of 4 pannier cycle tourists avoiding Dover and heading in the direction of our glorious West Country. :D
It seems very odd that certain people keep replying to posts about touring abroad with comments signaling the virtues of staying on this island. Cycle touring is much easier and more enjoyable in almost any neighbouring country. They've all overtaken us.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.