What a shame the TDFF is not live on ITV4

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
pete75

Re: What a shame the TDFF is not live on ITV4

Post by pete75 »

mjr wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 4:25pm
pete75 wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 2:18pm It costs money to follow and broadcast sporting events. Not just paying the organisers for the right to do so but also commentators, camera crews, vehicles etc etc. What's wrong with paying to view?
· Sports events on pay-to-view have lower sponsorship income because only existing subscribers see it and there's also a feeling among them that they've already paid for the event so why should they suffer intrusive adverts too?
· It reduces future income for the whole sport because people who aren't already fans aren't paying so don't see the broadcasts.
· It also reduces future participation because youths who aren't children of subscribers don't see the sport; and this tends to hurt women's sport disproportionately, according to last year's "Sport on European TV: Maximising Commercial Value" report by Eurovision.

There's also the simple technical failings of most current subscription services. For example, GCN+ is not available on my smart TV (a 2016 Samsung) or either set-top box, so even if I were inclined to subscribe and benefit myself temporarily while harming the future of cycle sport, I would be gambling on it not having copy-protection flags or other smart-buttockery that tries to prevent me casting it from another device. So, in practice, I think most people just get a Sky or Now box or an Amazon stick and help those behemoths burrow further into our lives, which is a whole other can of worms, the dangers of which we may disagree about.
If that were true why do Premiership clubs get so much money from pay-to-view broadcasters? Why do pay-to-view broadcasters so often outbid free-to-air for the sporting rights?

I've always thought sport something you do rather than watch so care little about it being shown on TV. The something for nothing brigade annoy me somewhat though, when they resent paying to see it.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 3:47pmMorocco and Cameroon's teams are also known as the Lionesses.
The question still remains.
Screen Shot 2022-07-26 at 18.55.08.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lioness
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 3:44pmTalking of lady sports-people, why are the Lionesses called that?
Mick F wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 6:57pmThe question still remains.
It's answered twice upthread:
Jdsk wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 3:46pmI assume that it's from their crest.
Bmblbzzz wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 3:47pm You don't remember the John Barnes rap?
Jonathan

TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I have the Eurosport Player App, costs me £4.49 a month, so I can watch it on my iPad and Phone but not on my TV. I’ve tried casting it to my Apple TV box but it doesn’t work properly. I can watch it fine on the iPad but when I try and cast it, get an error message to say the content is not available, it does work sometimes but it’s very flaky and can’t be relied upon.

[spoiler removed by moderator]
Last edited by TrevA on 26 Jul 2022, 9:13pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Yoikes! Turns out it could almost have been the Gazza rap! Can you imagine that?

https://youtu.be/TBRQ2Xdlrq8
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

TrevA wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 9:13pm I have the Eurosport Player App, costs me £4.49 a month, so I can watch it on my iPad and Phone but not on my TV. I’ve tried casting it to my Apple TV box but it doesn’t work properly. I can watch it fine on the iPad but when I try and cast it, get an error message to say the content is not available, it does work sometimes but it’s very flaky and can’t be relied upon.

Cecile Uttrup Ludwig won today and did a very emotional but sweary interview afterwards!
Brilliant interview :D

I thought Apple TV had a eurosport app?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

TrevA wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 9:13pm I have the Eurosport Player App, costs me £4.49 a month, so I can watch it on my iPad and Phone but not on my TV. I’ve tried casting it to my Apple TV box but it doesn’t work properly. I can watch it fine on the iPad but when I try and cast it, get an error message to say the content is not available, it does work sometimes but it’s very flaky and can’t be relied upon.

Cecile Uttrup Ludwig won today and did a very emotional but sweary interview afterwards!
I have a eurosport player subscription. I pay yearly and I'm sure it's less than that per month.
I watch it via the internet app on my lg tv (eurosport app is not available) and also via chrome on my pc.
It's great, giving me cycling and winter sports all year. No flakiness encountered.
I'm not one to splash on subscriptions, but it's worth every penny imho.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Paulatic wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 10:12pm

Brilliant interview :D

I thought Apple TV had a eurosport app?
Modern ones might but mine is from several generations ago. It’s the one with the silver metal remote.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
mjr

Post by mjr »

pete75 wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 5:25pm
mjr wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 4:25pm
pete75 wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 2:18pm It costs money to follow and broadcast sporting events. Not just paying the organisers for the right to do so but also commentators, camera crews, vehicles etc etc. What's wrong with paying to view?
· Sports events on pay-to-view have lower sponsorship income because only existing subscribers see it and there's also a feeling among them that they've already paid for the event so why should they suffer intrusive adverts too?
[...]
If that were true why do Premiership clubs get so much money from pay-to-view broadcasters? Why do pay-to-view broadcasters so often outbid free-to-air for the sporting rights?
The Premiership always has highlights on freeview, plus the sums involved are massive and might cover be p the reduction.

Subscription broadcasters outbid free ones because there's more in it for them ( mostly taken from the organiser's cut) and they'll move on to the next field if this one dies.
I've always thought sport something you do rather than watch so care little about it being shown on TV. The something for nothing brigade annoy me somewhat though, when they resent paying to see it.
I hope you now appreciate it's resenting the harm subscription-only event coverage does the sport, rather than resenting paying.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I agree as I would love to see it but they’ve had mostly British criterium races this year I think. No vuelta last year so I doubt they’ll get it this year. I don’t know if they’ll have the tour of Britain (but I’m off touring then anyway). They had the dauphine or one of those ones last year (which was a really exciting race) but not sure if they had it this year (because it’s not regular that they have shows I never know when to look out for stuff).

I suspect that with more subscription channels coming in they’re being edged out/ not willing to bid the same sort of prices for something which for them is a niche sport. I agree that putting a sport on subscription only could well make it more niche.
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

I've subscribed to GCN+ for over a year now and think it is good value for money leaving aside the economics of who it benefits.

You get the Giro as well, no adverts and some of the other features such as Jack Thurston's Lost Lanes videos are also worth a watch in my view.

I have a 2 year old smartphone and an ancient Sony TV and it casts without any problems whatsoever.

(I have no connection with GCN+!!!)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

You've already answered the question about running the app on the Apple TV. : - (

On the iPhone were you trying to cast from within the app or using Screen Mirroring?
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204289

Thanks

Jonathan
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mjr wrote: 27 Jul 2022, 12:19am

Subscription broadcasters outbid free ones because there's more in it for them ( mostly taken from the organiser's cut) and they'll move on to the next field if this one dies.
You win this weeks prize for stating the bleeding obvious. Any business will outbid any other business if they see great benefit for themselves. Terrestrial TV also drops sports eg no more wrestling on ITV. BBC used to have a lot of motorcross, none now.

mjr wrote: 27 Jul 2022, 12:19am I hope you now appreciate it's resenting the harm subscription-only event coverage does the sport, rather than resenting paying.
What evidence that pay-per-view harms a sport ? How do you think it does?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

Jdsk wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 7:04pm
Mick F wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 3:44pmTalking of lady sports-people, why are the Lionesses called that?
Mick F wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 6:57pmThe question still remains.
It's answered twice upthread:
Jdsk wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 3:46pmI assume that it's from their crest.
Bmblbzzz wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 3:47pm You don't remember the John Barnes rap?
Jonathan
Surely everyone,even those who don't follow football know the England badge has Three Lions on it?
So it's pretty obvious why they're called 'Lionesses'!
Although if you look closely this is actually the England Ladies badge:-

Before anyone jumps on the 'OMG that's sexist' boat it's a JOKE.There's actually a full clothing line of 'Three Irons on a shirt'
https://www.redbubble.com/i/t-shirt/Thr ... 8258.GDEN5
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

You've got to fold and tuck but do it at the right time
You can be steam or flat but you must get to the line
They'll always crease you and scorch you, defend and attack
There's only one way to beat them, get them flat
Catch me if you can, cause I'm the trouser press man
And what you're looking at is the well creased plan
We ain't no hooligans, this ain't a football song
Three irons on my chest, I know we can't go wrong