TCR No. 8

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
mattheus

Re: TCR No. 8

Post by mattheus »

ratherbeintobago wrote: 2 Aug 2022, 4:24pm Aye. No 214 (Will) has just scratched from within the top 10 following crash damage to his bike in Bavaria. He's ridden it a long way from there to CP4...

Thanks. (can't see the image - a tweet? Will catch-up at home soon ... )

Is he still on the Tripster? When I rode with him in England/Wales pre-covid he'd already put a LOT of miles on that, so I don't think it owes him much :-)
He's moved to Munich since, in .... Bavaria of course!
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

mattheus wrote: 2 Aug 2022, 4:28pmThanks. (can't see the image - a tweet? Will catch-up at home soon ... )

Is he still on the Tripster? When I rode with him in England/Wales pre-covid he'd already put a LOT of miles on that, so I don't think it owes him much :-)
He's moved to Munich since, in .... Bavaria of course!
Yes, it's the Tripster (or at least a Tripster)

Photo is from the TCR Twitter feed - thought I'd found a way to link to them at source but apparently not.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Looks like Mike Broadwith is lost! Best Brit is currently Andrew Phillips sitting @ 9th place at checkpoint 4
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
1982john

Post by 1982john »

It looks like it's been another trying day for Mike.
He's had to make a massive detour because I think he got caught out intending to use a prohibited road.... nothing concrete yet though.
ratherbeintobago

His Twitter feed certainly suggests he’s had a trying day.

There’s a suggestion Ullrich is well on his way to a ferry that isn’t running…
1982john

Post by 1982john »

ratherbeintobago wrote: 2 Aug 2022, 9:03pm His Twitter feed certainly suggests he’s had a trying day.

There’s a suggestion Ullrich is well on his way to a ferry that isn’t running…
Yes he's already turned back and heading to the next port.
How many others are making that same doomed journey...
ratherbeintobago

Christoph Strasser is going to reach the finishing point today, isn’t he?

Also, people have apparently climbed down this:

Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Does seem they have made the course unduly complicated.

Why not have start x, finish y, Go....

Ok a few checkpoints.... If you must....

but specific routes you must ride and must not ride... Seems a bit ott.

Would make my head hurt!!
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Jamesh wrote: 3 Aug 2022, 9:00am Does seem they have made the course unduly complicated.

It's become the most prestigious, well-loved ultra race in the world, and it's a tried+tested formula.

(Many other races (and euro audaxes) just use a mandatory route - which is much easier for the organisers. The TCR way is difficult - yet they do an amazing job most years!)
ratherbeintobago

mattheus wrote: 3 Aug 2022, 9:11am
Jamesh wrote: 3 Aug 2022, 9:00am Does seem they have made the course unduly complicated.

It's become the most prestigious, well-loved ultra race in the world, and it's a tried+tested formula.

(Many other races (and euro audaxes) just use a mandatory route - which is much easier for the organisers. The TCR way is difficult - yet they do an amazing job most years!)
Yes, agreed - it's all part of the formula. There would have to be some rules even without the mandatory sections as they don't e.g. want people riding down a dangerous trunk road, and bear in mind that most people won't have had the chance to do a full reconnaissance of their route.
ratherbeintobago

Screenshot 2022-08-03 at 11.38.29.png
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

1982john wrote: 2 Aug 2022, 8:54pm It looks like it's been another trying day for Mike.
He's had to make a massive detour because I think he got caught out intending to use a prohibited road.... nothing concrete yet though.
The good news is, he's just departed CP4. Sadly down to 21st place - but covered more distance than someone in the Top10! Should clear the grrrrravel parcours comfortably in daylight, and avoid having to wait around for ferries in the dark, fingers crossed.

Still, he's had an adventure; it would be good to see him have another go, make the most of his new experience, and challenge for the podium. Frankly it looks a lot more fun than a supported LEJOG ride!
ratherbeintobago

I was talking to one of my friends (who is thinking about having a go himself) - I think most people who do the TCR aren’t doing it for the win but just to be able to say they’ve done it.
1982john

Post by 1982john »

the guy who won it has won RAAM several times so it's petty stiff competition!

No idea what Mike's target would have been but you think with his pedigree he'd fancied top 10