TCR No. 8

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
ratherbeintobago

TCR No. 8

Post by ratherbeintobago »

From the LeJog forum it seems like there's a bit of enthusiasm for dot-watching.

TCR No. 8 started last night. Friend of the forum Mike Broadwith is taking part.

What does everyone reckon so far?
Jamesh

Re: TCR No. 8

Post by Jamesh »

What's Mike B number??!

ratherbeintobago

I’ve not worked out if there’s a way to link directly to his tracking.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Takes a bit of following doesn’t it.
I’ve tried to understand it in previous years but I’m still left bewildered 😂
A local guy to me has already packed.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
1982john

Post by 1982john »

Mike has done 640km in under 24 hours! looks like he's having a bit of a rest now

He's probably about 20th at the moment but too early to tell
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Paulatic wrote: 25 Jul 2022, 8:27pm Takes a bit of following doesn’t it.
I don't understand it either.

Don't they take each checkpoint in turn? So why are they spread out like a hot air balloon race?!
PH

Post by PH »

Jamesh wrote: 25 Jul 2022, 9:46pm Don't they take each checkpoint in turn? So why are they spread out like a hot air balloon race?!
Yes it did look like whacky races at the start, with everyone heading off in all directions!
There's a lot of choice between the checkpoints, I'm guessing for those distances you'd have to plan a route that suited your strengths and needs. The different distances covered in the first day is astonishing, I'm a casual follower, I'll look in each day.
Aikon

Post by Aikon »

Got a colleague, and an industry acquaintance riding this year so watching with interest
ratherbeintobago

Jamesh wrote: 25 Jul 2022, 9:46pm
Paulatic wrote: 25 Jul 2022, 8:27pm Takes a bit of following doesn’t it.
I don't understand it either.

Don't they take each checkpoint in turn? So why are they spread out like a hot air balloon race?!
They have to plan their own route between checkpoints - some will go the shortest route but this will mean the most climbing, others will go flatter but longer. Apparently there’s a biggish risk that sometimes what looks like a good route turns out to be unridable.
ratherbeintobago

Not sure if anyone has made it to the first checkpoint but a number look like they’re getting close.

The daily email bulletin looks quite useful.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

What's the terrain?

Is it road like trans American.

Or is it off road like GB enduro??
ratherbeintobago

I think it’s mixed - mainly roads but there will be some gravel. The racers all set their own routes.
mjr

Post by mjr »

ratherbeintobago wrote: 25 Jul 2022, 7:02pm From the LeJog forum it seems like there's a bit of enthusiasm for dot-watching.

TCR No. 8 started last night. Friend of the forum Mike Broadwith is taking part.

Website basically unusable on my mobile. Goes very sluggish, reloads the map endlessly, then crashes the browser tab. Not great on desktop, thrashing CPU and causing fan to speed up, the details side tab obscures what it's trying to highlight on the map, there's no key so I've no idea what the different flag and track colours signify and the detail pop-ups are half-incomprehensible.

It seems a great event and I like reading about it afterwards, but trying to watch it live is a rather irritating and opaque task despite knowing the basics of the event. Looking for #tcrno8 on social media sites is far better than the event website, which is a very sad state of affairs.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
ratherbeintobago

They also have a podcast if you’ve time/interest in listening to such things.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

mjr wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 11:09am
ratherbeintobago wrote: 25 Jul 2022, 7:02pm From the LeJog forum it seems like there's a bit of enthusiasm for dot-watching.

Website basically unusable on my mobile.
Have you found the tracker site? https://www2.followmychallenge.com/live ... 73172,7.43

Works quite well on my cheap android phone, better on a desktop of course! I look forward to you being sucked into our addictive world ...