IMPORTANT: Crack in on the headtube of and Alu trekking bike

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Jdsk

Re: IMPORTANT: Crack in on the headtube of and Alu trekking bike

Post by Jdsk »

Write it all down now. Then write down everything, even if it's communications by 'phone or in person.

Jonathan
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

How about buying another frame and transfering all the parts over?

They you know the frame is right, the parts have been cleaned / serviced and your good to go?

A frame can be had for less than £50.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

The way that aluminium fails makes me worry that that could fail suddenly and catastrophically if it get a sudden severe shock, a whopper pot-hole at speed, or bumping down a high kerb or something.

I can think of a bodge, get you home, fix, involving jubilee clips, but that would be an “if there really is no other way home” fix.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Nothing that a bit of gorilla tape caint fix!!

Makes you glad to be riding carbon! :lol: :lol: :lol:
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

MsMellie wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 10:15am Not much documentation, just saved messages about the state of the bicycle and arranging to meet to see it. Bought the thing like five days ago :(
You're unlikely to have much, if any, recourse on a private sale, unless the seller has a crisis of conscience. It is literally sold as seen and as you've already stated YOU didn't see it (someone else bought it on your behalf).

You have zero leqal right to get a refund on it - the only possibility is that the seller is genuinely mortified at selling something in that state and refunds you as an act of kindness. There is of course the other possibility that the seller knew full well about the defect, the person buying it on your behalf didn't check it properly and the seller tells you to get stuffed, claims it was fine when sold etc...

Have you got full, side on pics of the whole bike? How much did you pay for it?
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

rareposter wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 10:09am It's unlikely to just fall apart - after all the whole lot is kept in place with the headset, forks and stem.
However it is pretty much terminal, that frame is fit for little more than the scrap heap.
If the headset was an external fitted type (I think they exist) then possibly but that's a standard aheaset. No external clamping to prevent further cracking.
Agreed on the terminal though.
That thing is a death trap. Do not ride.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

rareposter wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 11:47amYou're unlikely to have much, if any, recourse on a private sale, unless the seller has a crisis of conscience. It is literally sold as seen and as you've already stated YOU didn't see it (someone else bought it on your behalf).

You have zero leqal right to get a refund on it - the only possibility is that the seller is genuinely mortified at selling something in that state and refunds you as an act of kindness. There is of course the other possibility that the seller knew full well about the defect, the person buying it on your behalf didn't check it properly and the seller tells you to get stuffed, claims it was fine when sold etc...
Goods must be as described. Document the advertisement and everything else.

As previously: start by asking for a full refund.

If that's refused there may be other remedies.

Jonathan
ditty bopper

Post by ditty bopper »

Weirdly, just last night I dreamed of using jubilee clips to repair a cracked bicycle frame tube. Excuse my lack of knowledge, but why couldn't a clip be used to prevent further cracking?
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Jdsk wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 11:57am Goods must be as described. Document the advertisement and everything else.

Jonathan
That's as maybe but it's still easy to claim that it was fine at point of sale and that the buyer must have crashed it.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

rareposter wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 12:11pm
Jdsk wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 11:57am Goods must be as described. Document the advertisement and everything else.
That's as maybe but it's still easy to claim that it was fine at point of sale and that the buyer must have crashed it.
I'm not sure where "maybe" comes into that: goods must be as described.

Yes, the seller can claim that. Asking for a refund will reveal their position. There's nothing to lose.

Jonathan
531colin

Post by 531colin »

ditty bopper wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 12:11pm Weirdly, just last night I dreamed of using jubilee clips to repair a cracked bicycle frame tube. Excuse my lack of knowledge, but why couldn't a clip be used to prevent further cracking?
I think you could make a pretty permanent repair with a suitable steel ring; it would need to be a shrink fit. (ie get it red hot so it can be tapped into place)
An exhaust type clamp could be a get you home fix, but it would need to be a good fit.....and where the headset cup inserts space is limited by the downtube attachment

Things like cracked chainstays have been bodged with just about whatever comes to hand, for example something like a spanner and a couple of jubilee clips, or a spanner and some fibreglass repair mat......
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Looked under my top tube in my lejog bike and found length of emergency duct tape! Put it there for emergencies and forgot about it. I had a roll of it too. Essential imho.
Barrowman

Post by Barrowman »

Afraid I agree, it's scrap.
I have a Carrera Frame with 1 1/8" head tube that the bits might build onto , assuming you have 1 1/8" head ?
( No Forks) pm me if interested . Have to double check but it's either at the National Cycle Museum ,Wales or in my garage West Midlands.
slowster

Post by slowster »

531colin has suggested one possible method of repair. Another might be to use carbon fibre, as demonstrated in the video linked below. I think the problem however with repairing the frame is that it would probably be too expensive to pay someone skilled and competent to do the repair properly, given that it is probably a relatively cheap frame.

If the components are in generally good condition, a local recycling centre might be a good place to pick up a suitable replacement frame very cheaply, because many of the bikes taken to recycling centres are likely to have badly worn/damaged components but frames that are still serviceable. That said, the components on your bike will not all necessarily be compatible with a given replacement frame, so you would need a good understanding of the different types of components and the relevant different standards in order to anticipate and spot potential compatibility issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjwHq6h-5Fk
jb

Post by jb »

Its an odd place for it to crack' I would have thought the forces were in the opposite direction.
If you want to repair it Id suggest drilling a 3mm hole at the top of the crack to prevent it going further then get a good aluminium welder to grind out the crack and fill it.
Don't think I'd bother though having a tour ruined because of a faulty frame can be expensive.
Cheers
J Bro