Nexus 8 & Alfine 8 Compatibility

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
saudidave

Re: Nexus 8 & Alfine 8 Compatibility

Post by saudidave »

Thanks Sum, however you may note that the post prior to yours from PH is the offer to sell me a new but unused Nexus 8, which I've accepted. I've paid him for it and he is posting it to me today. It will be a straight swap with the Nexus 8 / coaster brake version I currently have and I can pair it with the Nexus 8 belt drive cassette joint that I've also accquired. As soon as it arrives and I'm satisfied all is correct I can return the alfine hub and shifter to Bikester for a refund.
Sum

Post by Sum »

No worries saudidave. In case you might have still been keen on the Alfine at the time, my previous post was merely intended to clarify the situation and reassure you that all was well and there was no cause for concern; The fitments that work with the Alfine cassette joint would have been supplied with the shifter, and you wouldn't have needed to reuse the Nexus fitments. As an illustration, the Bikester website shows what was included with the shifter:-
https://www.bikester.co.uk/shimano-alfi ... 84091.html
Image...Image

In hindsight I could have worded my previous post better; I was in a rush at work at the time and I'd posted a bit hastily to try and clarify the situation as best as I could. That said, buying PH's Nexus 8 is a very good option, and I hope you are making progress with sorting out your bike.

Obviously none of this matters for you now, and I'm only mentioning it here for completeness, in case anyone else is reading this after finding themselves in the same situation. Sometimes it can be a bit confusing as to which 'small parts' are included with the main items, so it pays to double check.
saudidave

Post by saudidave »

Thanks Sum, for the reply and particular thanks for the responses as I was trying to convert to Alfine 8 due to non availability of the Nexus 8/36 hole/Disc version/Black.. The Alfine 8 or 11 aren't that common and I'd never seen one physically, hence my confusion re cassette joint sizes etc. I've now returned the Alfine and shifter to Bikester. The brand new Nexus SG-C6001-8D from PH is on my desk, as is the Nexus 8 belt drive specific cassette joint and I have it booked in to my LBS on Tuesday next for a rear wheel rebuild with the new hub. Wheel building is about the only part of bike building / rebuilding I've avoided as it is such a rare occurence for me that it's not worth the bother. The Nexus 8 Revoshifter which I like and prefer to the rapid fire shifters will obviously continue to work with the new IGH and the the non turn washers fitted to my existing despised coaster brake Nexus 8 hub are exactly the same on the new Nexus 8D version so everything should be a smooth transition and perfect for me. If I ever want electronic changing and a greater gear range the Alfine 11 is a possibility.

Hopefully this is the end of the saga. I'd started out tracking Raleigh Motus Grand tours such as the one that I alreay owned, on ebay, as I wanted more range, Gates belt drive and a step thro retirement bike and was getting around to selling the Motus. I needed to know it's value so that I could plan the retirement bike purchase. Ebay alerted me to my Centros and I bought it for £1800.00 with 13.8 miles on the clock and inditinguishable from new. The gear dillema will probably have cost me £200.00 in the end and so I have an upgrade to exactly the bike spec I wanted saving £1,000.00 on the cost of buying brand new from a shop. It's good when a plan comes together.
Thanks again, Dave
saudidave

Post by saudidave »

To conclude. My L.B.S., Woodsons Cycles of Edgeley, Stockport rebuilt my rear wheel with the Nexus 8 hub and gave me back the hated coaster brake version on Tuesday. I picked it up and have since ridden 50 miles on it. It's fantastic and it feels like a different bike altogether. I'm convinced that the coaster brake IGH is considerably less efficient in operation.
If you live in Greater Manchester and need a new bike or repairs to an existing one, I can highly reccomend Woodsons Cycles. The advice and service is second to none and at very reasonable prices too.