Bike on LNER

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
iandusud

Bike on LNER

Post by iandusud »

We are travelling for the first time with our tandem, split in two, on LNER tomorrow. Can someone who has used these trains tell us if it is necessary to remove panniers when loading and storing the bikes. Many thanks
gbnz

Re: Bike on LNER

Post by gbnz »

Yes, it will be necessary to remove the panniers. The Azuma trains have a narrow cupboard, wide enough for a childs' bike or an adults, if it's got narrow handlebars. I've routinely found the best way to travel on the Azuma trains, is to leave the bike in the corridor and stand near by (Nb. The seats on these trains are so thin, cheap and uncomfortable, standing up for the journey isn't much worse)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

LNER on bikes, with a note on tandems:
https://www.lner.co.uk/the-east-coast-e ... th-cycles/

There's a photo of the space on Azumas somewhere in the archives.

Jonathan
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

gbnz wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 7:51am Yes, it will be necessary to remove the panniers. The Azuma trains have a narrow cupboard, wide enough for a childs' bike or an adults, if it's got narrow handlebars. I've routinely found the best way to travel on the Azuma trains, is to leave the bike in the corridor and stand near by (Nb. The seats on these trains are so thin, cheap and uncomfortable, standing up for the journey isn't much worse)
Thanks for the info. I don't fancy standing all the way from Harrogate to London! :)
Out of interest is it possible to get the bike on the train first and then remove panniers?
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Jdsk wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 7:59am LNER on bikes, with a note on tandems:
https://www.lner.co.uk/the-east-coast-e ... th-cycles/

There's a photo of the space on Azumas somewhere in the archives.

Jonathan
Hi Jonathan,

Thanks. I've already read that. Re tandems they say that then can be carried with the wheels off but I don't fancy that at all when it's loaded up with camping gear. Much easier to split it in two and have smaller, lighter bits to deal with. :)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks.

So wheels left on and both parts stored in the bike space?

Next step is to identify the train type. What's the journey?

Jonathan
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Jdsk wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 8:12am Thanks.

So wheels left on and both parts stored in the bike space?

Next step is to identify the train type. What's the journey?

Jonathan
Hi Jonathan, I booked the seats and 2 bike spaces a couple of weeks ago. Harrogate to London direct service.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

The bike space on Azumas:

Screenshot 2022-07-28 at 08.20.38.png

Jonathan
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Jdsk wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 8:21am The bike space on Azumas:

Jonathan
Thanks. Yes, looking at the seating plan for an Azuma it would appear that we have one of those "cupboards" booked for our "two bikes". Hopefully they'll go without too much difficultly, although I'll definitely need to remove at least the front panniers and maybe turn the stoker bars through 90 degrees.
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

gbnz wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 7:51am I've routinely found the best way to travel on the Azuma trains, is to leave the bike in the corridor and stand near by
This is not good advice.
The corridor is an escape route in the case of an emergency. There's every chance you could be asked to remove your bike from the train. Possibly at a station that doesn't particularly suit.

As for pannier removal. The trains aren't particularly roomy. My recommendation would be to get to the station in plenty of time and explain to the platform staff what you are planning to do. They won't go without you, and it'll make their life easier too.
pal

Post by pal »

Jdsk wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 8:21am The bike space on Azumas:

Jonathan
LNER have now configured their bike spaces slightly differently: the foldable luggage racks have been removed, as well as that black bar in the middle of the cupboard; and (in some Azumas, but not yet all) there's a channel under each hook (to help with lifting bike onto the hooks -- though probably that won't in fact be much help with half a tandem!). Generally, though, there's a bit less clutter in the storage space, which makes things very slightly easier.

I'd second the advice to remove all (except the smallest) luggage; I'd also second the advice to ask the platform staff for help: I haven't been through Harrogate with a bike for a while, but I've had excellent experiences with LNER staff at other stations: they are generally extremely willing to help.

(Edited to add: it wouldn't be impossible to take the bags off once you're on the train -- and in fact that's what I usually do if I just have a couple of small panniers; but there isn't a huge amount of room to manoeuvre in the bike area, so it might be better to at least start the removal process on the platform, esp. if the platform staff can help with loading bags.)
Last edited by pal on 28 Jul 2022, 9:22am, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

pal wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 9:16amLNER have now configured their bike spaces slightly differently: the foldable luggage racks have been removed, as well as that black bar in the middle of the cupboard; and (in some Azumas, but not yet all) there's a channel under each hook (to help with lifting bike onto the hooks -- though probably that won't in fact be much help with half a tandem!). Generally, though, there's a bit less clutter in the storage space, which makes things very slightly easier.
Thanks. That's good to hear.

Photos, anyone?

Jonathan
pal

Post by pal »

There are some in this thread: viewtopic.php?p=1692291#p1692291
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks

(I looked for those but couldn't find them.)

Jonathan
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Thanks again for the helpful replies. I'll get to the station in good time hopefully (I've got a busy last day at work!) and talk to the platform staff. My thought was that it might be easier to get the two halves of the tandem on board with the luggage attached, and then remove the luggage once on board, to avoid having to do multiple trips onto the train. However I'll take advice from the platform staff.