Bike on LNER

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Tiggertoo

Re: Bike on LNER

Post by Tiggertoo »

I've posted on the London taxi thread about bikes and bike boxes and it relates to this thread as well.

Although I have reserved a bike space on both LNER and GWR trains, I wonder if keeping the bike in the bike box used for travelling on the plane might not be a reasonable option. The question then comes to do trains usually have luggage space that can take a bike box?

Here is a picture of he bike box and bike. The bike box will have wheels for easy moving. I'm still in the planning stage for this trip and looking at all the options. Thanks for any advice.
Attachments
20220803_143634.jpg
pal

Post by pal »

LNER and GWR use the same trains (mostly), which don't have any large luggage storage space -- other than the bike cupboards. You could probably fit a boxed bike in the cupboard (in fact, I saw a bagged bike in one the other day...), though it would be easier to get an unboxed bike in there (esp, in the new-style LNER cupboards, with the wheel channels).
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

The LNER baggage allowance is 1 suitcase/big bag, 1 bag that fits in the overhead and 1 that fits under you seat. The big bag allowance is:

Suitcases up to 80x57x30 fit nicely in the racks at the ends of the coaches – if your cases are bigger, you won't be able to bring it onboard.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

st599_uk wrote: 4 Aug 2022, 9:17am The LNER baggage allowance is 1 suitcase/big bag, 1 bag that fits in the overhead and 1 that fits under you seat. The big bag allowance is:

Suitcases up to 80x57x30 fit nicely in the racks at the ends of the coaches – if your cases are bigger, you won't be able to bring it onboard.
Inches or cm's?
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Tiggertoo wrote: 4 Aug 2022, 3:08pm
st599_uk wrote: 4 Aug 2022, 9:17am The LNER baggage allowance is 1 suitcase/big bag, 1 bag that fits in the overhead and 1 that fits under you seat. The big bag allowance is:

Inches or cm's?
cms

I keep forgetting that people even still use inches - Not sure I've ever used them.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

st599_uk wrote: 4 Aug 2022, 3:31pm
Tiggertoo wrote: 4 Aug 2022, 3:08pm

Inches or cm's?
cms

I keep forgetting that people even still use inches - Not sure I've ever used them.
Don't worry, inches are making a comeback. :P

The allowed dimensions puts the kibosh on my plan to take the bike box onto the train. Back to Plan 1. :cry:
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

Conversation just now with a live chatbot on the LNER web site:

Many thanks. I can see you are wondering if you can take a large bag on board?
User Icon
Yes. It is a piece of sporting equipment packed inside a box measuring 109cm x 81cm x 28cm
Agent Icon

Luggage Allowances on Our Trains | LNER
User Icon
I am aware of that but it does say 'very large bags will need assistance, so I am asking.
Agent Icon

If you ask on board staff when you get there they will help you accommodate this.
User Icon
Thanks. I just do not went to arrive at the station and be told I cannot bring it on board
Agent Icon

No problem. Staff will help allocate a space for this.
Agent Icon

Is there anything else I can help with?
User Icon
Thank you so much. :-)
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Doubt they will refuse you but also doubt they will help at all.

I’ve taken a rocking horse on board before (toddler sized) and no one batted an eyelid but it wasn’t ideal. That was cross country where they do actually have some sections for large luggage but inevitably not in my carriage. Problem is there probably isn’t anywhere for it to fit so the risk is you will be blocking the aisle.

I can’t see any advantage to taking it on the train still boxed- the cycle sections are designed for intact bikes (well designed is a generous description- designated might be better). Is there something I’m missing?
rjb

Post by rjb »

Look on the bright side. If the all the seats were taken you had your own and wouldn't need to jockey for position. You weren't going to Cheltenham by chance for the gold cup. :lol:
I can't get the image out of my head now. :evil:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

MrsHJ wrote: 4 Aug 2022, 5:01pm Doubt they will refuse you but also doubt they will help at all.

I’ve taken a rocking horse on board before (toddler sized) and no one batted an eyelid but it wasn’t ideal. That was cross country where they do actually have some sections for large luggage but inevitably not in my carriage. Problem is there probably isn’t anywhere for it to fit so the risk is you will be blocking the aisle.

I can’t see any advantage to taking it on the train still boxed- the cycle sections are designed for intact bikes (well designed is a generous description- designated might be better). Is there something I’m missing?
Mostly forward planning and covering all the options. This on the HE site:

Cyclists are welcome on board the Heathrow Express with their bicycle and do not have to reserve a cycle space.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

rjb wrote: 4 Aug 2022, 6:39pm Look on the bright side. If the all the seats were taken you had your own and wouldn't need to jockey for position. You weren't going to Cheltenham by chance for the gold cup. :lol:
I can't get the image out of my head now. :evil:
LOL. I was heading in that direction but although it was the mainline service it is largely commuters on the morning trains (so plenty of luggage capacity on the upright compartments at the end of the carriage) and I was heading to Bristol for work but wanted to get the family rocking horse to my brother before he headed off - he was always a bit tricky to find in the UK as he was a diplomat for a long time.

Tiggertoo- you are like me with the obsessive forward planning and working out alternatives.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Sweep wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 11:23am good luck ian.
please report back.
As promised:

All went very smoothly. Our tandem which splits into two equal length parts fitted perfectly in the Azuma bike cupboard designed for two bikes, along with our bags.

This is the first time since have our frame with S&S Couplings built that we have travelled with it on trains and it has proven to be great success. On the other train services we used (Southern and South Western) we were able to get the two halves on without having to remove the panniers. This has proved to be everything we wanted it to be when taking the decision to dig deep into our pockets to get the frame built, as it gives us much more mobility as we no longer own a car. I would add that on all the services we used the train staff were very helpful.
Attachments
IMG_20220729_172748.jpg
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

And thanks for that update and the photo.

Jonathan
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Jdsk wrote: 18 Aug 2022, 2:39pm And thanks for that update and the photo.

Jonathan
+1
Sweep
Andrew-l

Post by Andrew-l »

iandusud wrote: 18 Aug 2022, 2:32pm
All went very smoothly. Our tandem which splits into two equal length parts fitted perfectly in the Azuma bike cupboard designed for two bikes, along with our bags.

This is the first time since have our frame with S&S Couplings built that we have travelled with it on trains and it has proven to be great success.
That's great to hear! We're just ordering one now with the s&s couplings and I'm still fretting over how easy/hard it will be to split it for trains. Do you have hydraulic brakes? And do you split behind the pilot, so need to remove timing belt /chain?
Thanks!