Bike on LNER

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Sweep

Re: Bike on LNER

Post by Sweep »

good luck ian.
please report back.
Sweep
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Pendodave wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 8:35am
gbnz wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 7:51am I've routinely found the best way to travel on the Azuma trains, is to leave the bike in the corridor and stand near by
This is not good advice.
The corridor is an escape route in the case of an emergency. There's every chance you could be asked to remove your bike from the train. Possibly at a station that doesn't particularly suit.
Hmm, suppose I've only travelled on an Azuma on 5-6 occasions since April this year. I've not had issues, this year or previous. Though had a station master trying to tell me I wasn't allowed to cycle along the platform, back in May.. Poor man didn't know what to do
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Sweep wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 11:23am good luck ian.
please report back.
Thanks, will do.
toontra

Post by toontra »

gbnz wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 2:48pm Hmm, suppose I've only travelled on an Azuma on 5-6 occasions since April this year. I've not had issues, this year or previous. Though had a station master trying to tell me I wasn't allowed to cycle along the platform, back in May.. Poor man didn't know what to do
I presume you're joking? Of course you're not allowed to cycle on any platforms - for very good reason.

I've also used LNER mainline several times this year as I do every year. I wouldn't leave a bike in the vestibule unless absolutely necessary (e.g. someone had nabbed my reserved space in the bike locker or it was full of luggage), and if I was forced to I would grab the conductor ASAP and ask him politely to resolve the issue. I would stand with the bike in the meantime.

By standing there with a bike you are in the way of the refreshments trolley, people going to and fro with luggage and generally being a nuisance.

BTW on the last 2 trips the bike compartments had been modified as shown above, which does make things slightly easier.
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

I am booked to travel GWR to Penzance the end of August then LNER from Inverness to Kings Cross middle of September and on both trips the the bike is not in the same car as my seat is. I don't know why and I cannot get the booking to get us both in the same car. It's a problem!
mjr

Post by mjr »

toontra wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 3:26pm
gbnz wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 2:48pm Hmm, suppose I've only travelled on an Azuma on 5-6 occasions since April this year. I've not had issues, this year or previous. Though had a station master trying to tell me I wasn't allowed to cycle along the platform, back in May.. Poor man didn't know what to do
I presume you're joking? Of course you're not allowed to cycle on any platforms - for very good reason.
If it's so good, why don't you tell us it? And does it not apply to people walking along the platform? I do comply with the rule, but also think it is rather nannyish, not letting people decide whether the platform is wide enough or busy enough that remaining saddled is better.
I've also used LNER mainline several times this year as I do every year. I wouldn't leave a bike in the vestibule unless absolutely necessary (e.g. someone had nabbed my reserved space in the bike locker or it was full of luggage), and if I was forced to I would grab the conductor ASAP and ask him politely to resolve the issue. I would stand with the bike in the meantime.
How can you both go "grab the conductor ASAP" while you also "stand with the bike"?
By standing there with a bike you are in the way of the refreshments trolley, people going to and fro with luggage and generally being a nuisance.
Well, yes, but it's some train companies' choice not to provide enough bike spaces that are fit for purpose. It would be far better for everyone if they all chose to have at least half a carriage of multifunction space again and avoid all this nonsense.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
toontra

Post by toontra »

mjr wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 4:04pm If it's so good, why don't you tell us it?
Do you really not see why this would be a problem!?

Imagine - a group of kids larking about on BMX's - someone rushing down a crowded platform as their train is about to pull out - someone slipping on the shiny tiles (many mainline platforms) and breaking bones or slipping onto the track.

There aren't enough staff to monitor additional risks - e,g, impose speed limits, tackle anti-social behaviour, etc - so a blanket ban is the only practical solution.
mjr

Post by mjr »

toontra wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 5:17pm
mjr wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 4:04pm If it's so good, why don't you tell us it?
Do you really not see why this would be a problem!?

Imagine - a group of kids larking about on BMX's - someone rushing down a crowded platform as their train is about to pull out - someone slipping on the shiny tiles (many mainline platforms) and breaking bones or slipping onto the track.
I think all of those on foot are about as capable of causing injury or falling onto the track. When will the scourge of walking be banned from stations? If that sounds ridiculous, it's because it is, just like the blanket ban on cycling.
There aren't enough staff to monitor additional risks - e,g, impose speed limits, tackle anti-social behaviour, etc - so a blanket ban is the only practical solution.
It's not practical at all. As usual, a blanket ban means that the already-insufficient staff waste most of their time harassing customers who would do no harm to anyone, when they could be doing something better with their time and delivering a better railway service.

I comply, but it's bonkers, bureaucratic Britain yet again.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

toontra wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 5:17pm

Imagine- boy racers in cars ignoring speed limits, cars obstructing cycle lanes and pavements, jumping red lights etc. etc.
There aren't enough police to monitor all this law breaking, which actually kills and maims regularly. Cycling on platforms, which might just endanger people, but on no evidence, is banned. Why do we not ban motors from our streets?
Of course, everyone knows cycling is dangerous...
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
toontra

Post by toontra »

If you can't see how allowing cycling on train platforms would generate additional risk then I encourage you to stick it to the man/nanny state and ride your bike where you like.
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

I'm genuinely bemused by some of the reactions on here.

Station platforms are often very busy, are full of people who are distracted by many conflicting demands on their attention, and have luggage/station furniture/uneven surfaces dotted about everywhere.
Why anyone would feel the need to demand 'cyclists rights' to pedal around because they want to is beyond me. Save your crusading for a hill worth dying on.

The 'train/platform' interface is the largest source of incidents on the railway. Trains are delayed, people are hurt and sometimes killed.

I feel similarly about the bikes on trains remarks above. Trains are mixed use environments. Let's consider others and be responsible. Failing to do this because we disapprove of the available cycle facilities is not acting as considerate members of a community.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Pendodave wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 6:12pm I'm genuinely bemused by some of the reactions on here.

Station platforms are often very busy, are full of people who are distracted by many conflicting demands on their attention, and have luggage/station furniture/uneven surfaces dotted about everywhere.
Why anyone would feel the need to demand 'cyclists rights' to pedal around because they want to is beyond me. Save your crusading for a hill worth dying on.

The 'train/platform' interface is the largest source of incidents on the railway. Trains are delayed, people are hurt and sometimes killed.

I feel similarly about the bikes on trains remarks above. Trains are mixed use environments. Let's consider others and be responsible. Failing to do this because we disapprove of the available cycle facilities is not acting as considerate members of a community.
I am not crusading, and I obey the rule.
Nevertheless, I am confident of my ability to ride my bike at less than walking place without wobbling, and being able to stop promptly. I imagine the members of this forum are likewise capable of not being a danger.
With my gammy hip riding is less of a strain, but rather than get involved in explanations I, as I said, obey the rule. After all, I can lean on the bike as a crutch, and it is no great difficulty.
I am just bemused, or amused, at this symptom of the bikes are dangerous superstition.
Perhaps you have in your mind a picture of a packed commuter platform. I often find myself on long, empty platforms.
toontra

Post by toontra »

Mike Sales wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 6:23pm Perhaps you have in your mind a picture of a packed commuter platform. I often find myself on long, empty platforms.
So who do you suggest decides when a platform is too crowded to cycle on? I know - let's leave it to the cyclist :roll:

Honestly, like Pendodave, I'm actually quite surprised at some of the attitudes posted here.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Pendodave wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 6:12pm I'm genuinely bemused by some of the reactions on here.

No-one is saying that everyone should be able to ride everywhere on every platform. Just that some common sense is used. If a platform is busy but wide (so no danger anyone ends up on the track), how does forcing cyclists to become wider and wobblier help anyone?

Equally, many station platforms are very quiet, empty and wide. How does getting on the tannoy and berating a paying customer for inconveniencing exactly no-one while getting to the on-platform cycle parking or their train quicker help anyone?

If anyone can't see the absurdity of not being allowed to ride to the old cycle parking on wide and mostly-quiet platforms at Kings Cross, Paddington or Bristol Temple Meads, I'm not sure what else to say. It was not so long ago that people were allowed to drive onto some of those platforms for pick-up/drop-off before it was stopped due to terrorism and pollution, not collisions.
Who's crusading? As I said, I comply with it, but I can also see that a blanket ban is utterly bonkers.
Precisely no-one has suggested riding near the tracks, so it's seems poor form and disrespectful to those hurt in that way to exploit them for this discussion.
That's not why we do it. We do it because it's sometimes the only choice to being stranded. What's your proposed alternative to standing in the vestibule with the bike when it doesn't fit in the inadequate cupboard?

Let's consider others and be responsible, but that includes the train companies towards passengers with bikes. Trains and bikes should be natural associates, with trains covering the long middle at high speed with bikes to do the first/last miles, but recent train designs cause unnecessary conflict and it's really shocking that even some on this forum seem happy to defend those bad designs or suggest the resulting conflict is somehow the cyclists' fault.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

toontra wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 6:46pm
Mike Sales wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 6:23pm Perhaps you have in your mind a picture of a packed commuter platform. I often find myself on long, empty platforms.
So who do you suggest decides when a platform is too crowded to cycle on? I know - let's leave it to the cyclist :roll:

Honestly, like Pendodave, I'm actually quite surprised at some of the attitudes posted here.
Well yes. Leave it to the cyclist. If a platform is too crowded to cycle on, few would try. Those irresponsible cyclists who try to ride are likely to ignore the rule anyway, and can be restrained if they if they are dangerous.
You mentioned platforms as a common place for passenger accidents, which is hardly surprising for obvious reasons. Do you have any examples of accidents to, or caused by, cyclists?
There are quite a few disabled people who find cycling easier than walking.