Wild Camping in UK

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Psamathe

Wild Camping in UK

Post by Psamathe »

Not something I'm looking to do but wild camping has been discussed in several of the cycling podcasts & video blogs I watch/listen to.

So as I've been riding around my locality I've been looking out for wild camping sites and I've not spotted a single site even a possibility for a wild camp. Everywhere is farmed fields. I have spotted a few small areas with trees but normally next to a residential house. Plus, pretty well everywhere you are in sight of a residential house.

So from an academic interest perspective (i.e. I'm not seeking advice), how practical is wild camping in the UK or in different areas of the UK (e.g. East Anglia or outside National Parks)?

Ian
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Wild Camping in UK

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Next to the sea, all you need is a stick and a piece of string........then you are all night fishing :D
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I’m not familiar with your area or indeed the field layout or agriculture you have. I’d ask do those fields you mention have any hedges or any fall in the ground that eyesight looks over.
This time of year I look for recently cut, hay or silage aftermaths with no livestock around.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
PH

Post by PH »

For me, there ought to be a distinction between "Wild Camping" and camping "Off site"
The first is something to do well off the beaten track, on uncultivated land. in the wilderness. Probably easier to do hiking than riding, but still doable with the right bike and kit. I've wild camped about twenty times and half of those were in Scotland where the laws are simpler.
Off site is a lot easier, I do a fair bit of it, it doesn't have to be that wild, just tucked inside a gateway on a country road, or a picnic area alongside a cycle path. I used to be nervous about it, but less so the more I've done, the only time I've had contact with a landowner, I thought I was going to get a hard time but they only wanted to sell me some eggs! I did have some aggro from an early morning dog walker, telling me I shouldn't be there... while their dog was busy digging holes, I pointed out I was going to leave less trace than them and they went off in a huff. And that's it, all the other nights - I haven't counted but well over a hundred - have been fine.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

PH wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 4:24pm For me, there ought to be a distinction between "Wild Camping" and camping "Off site"
I have done a fair bit of each.
The rule is arrive late and leave early.
I was once benighted when travelling by thumb and built a little shelter from straw bales. Very snug.
Another time I crawled into a Welsh farmer's hay barn. I was woken by his dog in the morning. So I crawled out and apologised. He was fine about it, only remarking that he didn't like the dossers who swore at him.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
slowster

Post by slowster »

A few examples of wild camping pitches from a poster in East Anglia on the Bearbones forum:

https://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpB ... 45#p289645

https://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpB ... 97#p291997
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Aborted.
Last edited by Mike Sales on 28 Jul 2022, 4:36pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

PH wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 4:24pm For me, there ought to be a distinction between "Wild Camping" and camping "Off site"
I have done a fair bit of each.
The rule is arrive late and leave early, leaving no trace.
I was once benighted when travelling by thumb and built a little shelter from straw bales. Very snug.
Another time I crawled into a Welsh farmer's hay barn. I was woken by him and his dog in the morning. So I crawled out and apologised. He was fine about it, only remarking that he didn't like the dossers who swore at him.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

We see some wild camping here. Occasionally very random- bear in mind we have almost no police presence so there’s no one really to officially say no.

Strete gate beach is the most common one but not the only location. Doesn’t mean it’s permitted but I haven’t investigated the legitimacy. It used to be the local kids but quite a lots of tourists at the moment too. Please note it’s a nudist beach so you may have unexpected views when you emerge in the morning.

https://beachsearcher.com/en/beach/8262 ... te-beach#=

Other places - around the castle estate and up by the water tower.
You’ve said not national parks but as Dartmoor is our back yard it is relevant here. https://www.dartmoor.gov.uk/about-us/ab ... amping-map
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Perfectly practical I think, even though the UK has very little woodland left.
As said above arrive late - if you do that you can be very close indeed to traffic without anyone seeing you.
I have camped/bivvied in places that are little more than verges.
I would post real examples to show how close you can safely be, but of course wildcamping place tips should never be posted online, just passed to trusted pals and fellow freecampers.
You need to think creatively/look at places with a fresh eye.
Counterintuitively perhaps, near fast roads can be best - drivers will be going too fast to see owt and if they get the odd feeling that something is shining (keep lights low or out anyways) in that patch of shrubbery, they are unlikely to stop for a look and won't be able to anyway if you choose your spot. Stay away from laybys of course.
In fields is OK If there are no crops or livestock.
Gates often unsecured, so you can get through (closing afterwards of course) and then walk up the hedgeline, checking that you are out of sight of any traffic from any direction. You almost certainly will be if up the hedgeline.
There are SMALL bits of woodland everywhere, and very often the fencing is broken in one place at least - no need to destroy anything and of course you shouldn't.
Helps to have a stealth tent.
I have used my Robens Lodge 2 but for real stealth it's the Snugpak Ionosphere.
Don't really understand your point about pretty always being in sight of a house OP. This island isn't as crowded as some folk would have you believe. Slip between the cracks is my motto - for camping and life.
Sweep
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

The first is something to do well off the beaten track, on uncultivated land. in the wilderness. Probably easier to do hiking than riding, but still doable with the right bike and kit. I've wild camped about twenty times and half of those were in Scotland where the laws are simpler.
Off site is a lot easier, I do a fair bit of it, it doesn't have to be that wild, just tucked inside a gateway on a country road, or a picnic area alongside a cycle path. I used to be nervous about it, but less so the more I've done, the only time I've had contact with a landowner, I thought I was going to get a hard time but they only wanted to sell me some eggs! I did have some aggro from an early morning dog walker, telling me I shouldn't be there... while their dog was busy digging holes, I pointed out I was going to leave less trace than them and they went off in a huff. And that's it, all the other nights - I haven't counted but well over a hundred - have been fine.
A good distinction.

A month or so ago, I was off-site camping next to a footpath, somewhere in Cheshire. Pitched after 9 but there were still dog walkers passing well after 10, taking advantage of the long daylight. Not one of them made any objection. I think by and large, as you're not lighting fires, damaging crops, disturbing livestock or pitched somewhere stupid like a village sports ground, you'll have no trouble even if and when people do see you.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 5:07pm or pitched somewhere stupid like a village sports ground, you'll have no trouble even if and when people do see you.
No probs camping near a village sportsground surely as long as you are confident you won't be disturbed and don't damage any tended surfaces? May also be a tap. And a bit of shelter for cooking if the rains come.
I once camped in a freestanding tent on a cinder football pitch (like some Brit tennis courts) in Sardinia.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Must admit am somewhat intrigued by you asking the question psam if you have no intention of indulging.
Where are you by the way? Where is this desert of opportunity and adventure?
Sweep
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Sweep wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 9:22pm Must admit am somewhat intrigued by you asking the question psam if you have no intention of indulging.
I was asking as I said in the 1st post, quite a lot of cycling podcasts & vlogs I listen to/watch have been mentioning it yet when I cycle in my locality I see nowhere secluded enough or not overlooked that I regard as suitable.

Additionally, couple of weeks ago I was looking for a overnight campsite from home and the majority seemed to be glamping/pods or small and booked or concrete slabs - basically little providing a low cost patch of grass. Made me wonder what people do.
Sweep wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 9:22pm Where are you by the way? Where is this desert of opportunity and adventure?
As I mentioned in the 1st post, East Anglia (Norfolk/Suffolk)

Ian
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Psamathe wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 9:41pm
Sweep wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 9:22pm Must admit am somewhat intrigued by you asking the question psam if you have no intention of indulging.
I was asking as I said in the 1st post, quite a lot of cycling podcasts & vlogs I listen to/watch have been mentioning it yet when I cycle in my locality I see nowhere secluded enough or not overlooked that I regard as suitable.

Additionally, couple of weeks ago I was looking for a overnight campsite from home and the majority seemed to be glamping/pods or small and booked or concrete slabs - basically little providing a low cost patch of grass. Made me wonder what people do.
Sweep wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 9:22pm Where are you by the way? Where is this desert of opportunity and adventure?
As I mentioned in the 1st post, East Anglia (Norfolk/Suffolk)

Ian
PM me and I will send you the location of a choice bit of turf near Caister where I bivvied after a non-stop ride from south london via Dunwich. Slept well :)

Norfolk and Suffolk also have quite a few abandoned remote churches which present opportunities.

Just look around you as you cycle

And look at OS and OSm for likely spots.

by the by, you didn't say you were in east anglia in your initial post, you said you were maybe maybe maybe interested in stuff in that area. And from my experience of that area there are plenty plenty of places nowhere near houses. It's not all the sweaty urban jungle slavered over by Alan Partridge (though intensive farming in Suffolk strikes me as an issue to be contended with).
Sweep