Wild Camping in UK

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
maximus meridius

Re: Wild Camping in UK

Post by maximus meridius »

Sometimes when I'm driving I'll go round a big roundabout, with dense trees/bushes, and think to myself - "if I wanted to hide away, that would be the perfect spot".

A junction of a motorway and an A road, where the motorway goes over the top of the A road, for instance, will often be like the one I described. There won't be anybody walking over the roundabout, nobody will park up on the roundabout, and nobody will be paying too much attention to an anonymous clump of trees in the middle of the roundabout. That might make a perfect spot, if a bit noisy, if busy.

Just an idea.
DanZac

Post by DanZac »

maximus meridius wrote: 18 Feb 2023, 9:37pm Sometimes when I'm driving I'll go round a big roundabout, with dense trees/bushes, and think to myself - "if I wanted to hide away, that would be the perfect spot".

A junction of a motorway and an A road, where the motorway goes over the top of the A road, for instance, will often be like the one I described. There won't be anybody walking over the roundabout, nobody will park up on the roundabout, and nobody will be paying too much attention to an anonymous clump of trees in the middle of the roundabout. That might make a perfect spot, if a bit noisy, if busy.

Just an idea.
I often use the clumps of trees beside roads when I'm out and about (mainly smaller roads as they tend to be quieter) but there's loads of good little spots if you look for them.

I will admit though that most scrub ground is better suited to a hammock (which is my choice of accommodation) than a tent, due to the rough surfaces, limited clear space and often overgrown underbrush.

It's surprising how well hidden you are just off the road, especially in the summer when the trees are in leaf. I suspect that the average driver isn't paying enough attention to the roadsides to see you, and even if they do they're not going to stop. I've been using similar spots for years and never been disturbed or asked to move.
A dull read for a rainy day - https://pperratt.weebly.com/
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

maximus meridius wrote: 18 Feb 2023, 9:37pm Sometimes when I'm driving I'll go round a big roundabout, with dense trees/bushes, and think to myself - "if I wanted to hide away, that would be the perfect spot".
That sort of stealthy camping generates a lot of interest, with a fair amount of YouTubers making a living from a large audience watching their many overnight camps on roundabouts and whatever other unlikely pitches they can find:

These YouTubers tend to inject a bit of false jeopardy into them (acting like a hunted fugitive when a jogger goes past) which clearly does the trick in terms of generating viewing figures. However, in reality, what they're doing is the same as many homeless people find themselves doing every night - i.e. the real 'jeopardy' isn't being 'discovered' but the fact that society looks the other way.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

DanZac wrote: 21 Feb 2023, 10:56am

Just an idea.
I often use the clumps of trees beside roads when I'm out and about (mainly smaller roads as they tend to be quieter) but there's loads of good little spots if you look for them.

I will admit though that most scrub ground is better suited to a hammock (which is my choice of accommodation) than a tent, due to the rough surfaces, limited clear space and often overgrown underbrush.

It's surprising how well hidden you are just off the road, especially in the summer when the trees are in leaf. I suspect that the average driver isn't paying enough attention to the roadsides to see you, and even if they do they're not going to stop. I've been using similar spots for years and never been disturbed or asked to move.
agree with what i take to be your point about freecamping bivvying almost in plain sight, by roads, but with regard to drivers being unlikely to bother stop if they kind of think they have seen you/something, I actually find faster roads better. I once bivvied near a norfolk dual carriageway. Not near a layby of course. Felt perfectly safe/very unlikely to be disturbed.

edit - apols if already posted in this thread - I did read somewhere once that if hoping to remain unspotted almost in plain view very close to a road, it's a good idea to be upwards of driver's view rather than below - makes sense I suppose - hopefully they are looking at the road, not to the sky.
Chances of someone stopping for a look at you on a fast road near zilch I would have thought - on my norfolk verge bivi any driver hoping to have a natter with me would have had to drive on a mile or two, go round a roundabout and then come back.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

On the Dartmoor situation, Countryfile yesterday had a fair bit on the wildcamping on dartmoor issue.
Will be available on iplayer for a while.

My take on it was that if you are the best-traditional leave-no-trace camper a fair distance from a road you will have no great trouble/carry on as before.

there is apparently a map though with the new "permissable" areas for leave no trace campers.

Without further research I don't know how far in these areas are or how easy to get to with a bike, pushing if necessary, but I tend to think that with a 26inch wheeled loaded beast and non-cleated shoes you won't have too much trouble.

Many car-borne visitors to these areas are of course not prepared to walk much more than 100m from a road, 1km would be a major unthinkable expedition for them. So good news for the rest of us.

There were of course some shocking tales of terrible carborne campere leaving trash and I wouldn't dismiss these as landowner propaganda. There are some real ***s about.
Sweep
6.5_lives_left

Post by 6.5_lives_left »

Sweep wrote: 21 Feb 2023, 7:47pm edit - apols if already posted in this thread - I did read somewhere once that if hoping to remain unspotted almost in plain view very close to a road, it's a good idea to be upwards of driver's view rather than below - makes sense I suppose - hopefully they are looking at the road, not to the sky.
I once tried to use that technique of being above the drivers eye line on a sunken single track road going through woodland with steep earth banks either side of the road. However I had forgotten that the driver of an off-road 4x4 vehicle had a high viewing position and could see above and beyond the earth banks... I wasn't a well hidden as I thought I was :roll:
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"Dartmoor wild camping hopes rise as park wins right to appeal against ban":
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... appeal-ban

Jonathan
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »

Sweep wrote: 13 Mar 2023, 12:06pm On the Dartmoor situation, Countryfile yesterday had a fair bit on the wildcamping on dartmoor issue.

there is apparently a map though with the new "permissable" areas for leave no trace campers.

Without further research I don't know how far in these areas are or how easy to get to with a bike, pushing if necessary, but I tend to think that with a 26inch wheeled loaded beast and non-cleated shoes you won't have too much trouble.

Map of 'permitted' wild camping areas:
https://www.dartmoor.gov.uk/about-us/ab ... amping-map

You're optimistic in thinking that much of this can easily be reached with a bike. Some parts at the edge, certainly, but much of this area involves crossing a mixture of deep, tussocky vegetation, bog and rock clitter.
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

Interesting to see the map there, some little pockets of 'permitted' areas dotted about towards the eastern fringes, some near bridleways and lanes.
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »

The Dartmoor National Park Authority has now decided to proceed with an appeal. £50,000 so far raised from the public for the appeal costs.
Quite extraordinary attack on the DNPA by the landlord's agent, which can only inflame the situation.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... ampaigners
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Not an unusual sight if you live near roundabouts like I do!
https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news ... ver-560847
2023-04-27_115721.jpg
Being hit by a falling cow or lightening is much less likely.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
On camping on dartmoor.
Having started camping on dartmoor in 74, our trainer said leave no trace, and if you cannot be seen from the road or a dwelling and not in a water catchment area....................................quite simply no one knows you are there!

Dont be intimidated by any one approaching you unless its Police (very unlikely, better chance your number will come up) And wardens who go home for tea at 5-O/clock.
Military have no jurisdiction unless its firing times and only on the ranges clearly marked with red flags on the tors and fixed signs.

Tea time on, its very unusual to see people on the open moors, unless they are also camping / coming back to their car.

Keep out of sight and take your rubbish home.............

The map is basic but if you cannot be seen and of course NO OPEN fires :twisted: ...........Have a good time.
Even the farmers are too busy on their mobiles to even notice you are there..
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Camping on Dartmoor allowed again after appeal.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... urt-appeal
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks

Jonathan
pwa

Post by pwa »