Legal lights?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Albrecht

Re: Legal lights?

Post by Albrecht »

mjr wrote: 29 Jul 2022, 2:23pmAs posted in the past, I also don't like drivers to identify me as a cyclist too early. I'd rather they thought my big steady bright-but-shaped/dipped lights could be a motorbike that could seriously dent their car, rather than an insubstantial cyclist.
Two such lights separated by a broomstick handle taped across your handle bars? Or you could go high tech and have extending car aerial-type extensions sticking out of the ends of flat handlebars?

I'm a cyclist & I find that "blast 'em" type lights on oncoming bikes really quite dangerous for me riding towards them. Strobing lights against dark backgrounds, versus old eyes. They're pretty selfish really. I think I'll crash into one of them next time, and claim "disorientation", just to make a point.
LancsGirl wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 8:25pmI quite like to be compliant.
Call me old fashioned but I quite like compliant ladies too (Imagine a Leslie Phillips type accent).

PH

Post by PH »

gaz wrote: 29 Jul 2022, 11:38pm
PH wrote: 29 Jul 2022, 10:08pmThat's the one mentioned in the CUK article, though it isn't named, it's only the reflector which is BS6102/3.
The light on the TL-AU100BS complies with BS6102/3 in steady mode. The same light complies with RVLR in flashing mode. The reflector complies with BS6102/2 (subject to the caveat of using an approved bracket).
That's another long held belief blown out of the water, you'll be telling me there's no Santa next.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

LancsGirl wrote: 29 Jul 2022, 2:12pm...
So my takeaway is:

1. Not to worry about being strictly legal. As it might not be that easy. Presumably if I've got some sort of reasonably useful lights on after lighting up time, it would need a particularly pedantic police officer to actually attempt to prosecute me for non-BS marked lights. Unless the offence was combined with other far worse breaches.
Current summary from Cycling UK:
https://www.cyclinguk.org/lighting-regulations

I think that's a fair assessment about prosecution. But I use a steady light in addition to a flashing light.

LancsGirl wrote: 29 Jul 2022, 2:12pm...
2. High quality hub driven lights are jolly good. I can't really afford a new front wheel right now, but it's been at the back of my mind for a while, as much as anything to have a source of USB power for gadgets.
Yes, they are. NB many of us have found that's it works better to charge a USB battery pack from the dynamo and gadgets from that.

But If you're not buying a dynamo and lights would you rather have lights that charge from USB or lights where you swap the batteries? And how much would you like to pay?

Jonathan
LancsGirl

Post by LancsGirl »

Jdsk wrote: 30 Jul 2022, 8:24am But If you're not buying a dynamo and lights would you rather have lights that charge from USB or lights where you swap the batteries? And how much would you like to pay?

Jonathan
Lights that charge from USB. I already have umpteen things that I charge from USB, including things I use on the bike (iPhone, Polar M400). And I have two power packs, a smallish one that I can attach to the handlebars, and a huge heavy thing that would have to live in a saddle bag. I've sometimes gone out with the small one, but to be honest my rides aren't long enough to need it. But I've got it if needed. So in the case of lights, if I found myself riding longer than I expected after dark, I could recharge the lights.

Question then - can USB chargeable lights be used, as in emitting light, while they are being charged from an external battery pack? When that external battery pack isn't itself being charged (from a dynamo, for instance).

So suggestions for USB chargeable lights, especially chargeable from a battery pack as well as mains, gratefully accepted.

EDIT. Sorry, you asked how much I would be willing to pay. I like well made things that will work as intended, made by a company which can support them and supply spares (if needed), and that will last. Generally I think that "buy cheap, buy twice" (or more) is true. So I don't mind spending towards the top end if they'll last. Though in my current situation, lights are more for getting me home if it gets dark earlier than I expect. I don't commute (though I hope that will change) so I'm not obliged to cycle in the dark.

My approach to buying stuff is binary:

1. Buy the best in its class, something that is completely the thing I need, regardless of price. Focus on value not cost.

or

2. Dirt cheap that will probably be OK, and if it fails after a year no great loss.

What I don't do is find something that is, say £100, but the better thing that I really want is £110. In that situation I go for the better thing, even if it's a bit more expensive. If I'm already committed to a substantial outlay, I may has well have the right thing.
Last edited by LancsGirl on 30 Jul 2022, 10:44am, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

LancsGirl wrote: 30 Jul 2022, 10:35amQuestion then - can USB chargeable lights be used, as in emitting light, while they are being charged from an external battery pack? When that external battery pack isn't itself being charged (from a dynamo, for instance).
Yes.

But I don't know what would happen with any particular light if its internal battery was very flat and you tried this.

Jonathan

PS: There's a different issue... about types of USB battery packs that can be used to power other devices while they're being charged. It's known as passthrough.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

LancsGirl wrote: 30 Jul 2022, 10:35am
Jdsk wrote: 30 Jul 2022, 8:24am But If you're not buying a dynamo and lights would you rather have lights that charge from USB or lights where you swap the batteries? And how much would you like to pay?
Lights that charge from USB. I already have umpteen things that I charge from USB, including things I use on the bike (iPhone, Polar M400). And I have two power packs, a smallish one that I can attach to the handlebars, and a huge heavy thing that would have to live in a saddle bag. I've sometimes gone out with the small one, but to be honest my rides aren't long enough to need it. But I've got it if needed. So in the case of lights, if I found myself riding longer than I expected after dark, I could recharge the lights.

Question then - can USB chargeable lights be used, as in emitting light, while they are being charged from an external battery pack? When that external battery pack isn't itself being charged (from a dynamo, for instance).

So suggestions for USB chargeable lights, especially chargeable from a battery pack as well as mains, gratefully accepted.

EDIT. Sorry, you asked how much I would be willing to pay. I like well made things that will work as intended, made by a company which can support them and supply spares (if needed), and that will last. Generally I think that "buy cheap, buy twice" (or more) is true. So I don't mind spending towards the top end if they'll last. Though in my current situation, lights are more for getting me home if it gets dark earlier than I expect. I don't commute (though I hope that will change) so I'm not obliged to cycle in the dark.

My approach to buying stuff is binary:

1. Buy the best in its class, something that is completely the thing I need, regardless of price. Focus on value not cost.

or

2. Dirt cheap that will probably be OK, and if it fails after a year no great loss.

What I don't do is find something that is, say £100, but the better thing that I really want is £110. In that situation I go for the better thing, even if it's a bit more expensive. If I'm already committed to a substantial outlay, I may has well have the right thing.
Thanks.

USB chargeable. No explicit price limit. Reputable company. And road use rather than forest adventures. : - )

Jonathan
LancsGirl

Post by LancsGirl »

Jdsk wrote: 30 Jul 2022, 10:43am
LancsGirl wrote: 30 Jul 2022, 10:35amQuestion then - can USB chargeable lights be used, as in emitting light, while they are being charged from an external battery pack? When that external battery pack isn't itself being charged (from a dynamo, for instance).
Yes.

But I don't know what would happen with any particular light if its internal battery was very flat and you tried this.

Jonathan

PS: There's a different issue... about types of USB battery packs that can be used to power other devices while they're being charged. It's known as passthrough.
Ah yes, "passthrough", that's the word, thanks. I'm fairly sure the huge thing I've got does that. I didn't buy it as a power pack for cycling. It would have to be in a bar bag or similar. The small one (it's a handy cylinder shape) I'm not sure. I'll test it out, see if it will charge my M400 while being charged itself.

Thanks.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

PH wrote: 30 Jul 2022, 7:26am
gaz wrote: 29 Jul 2022, 11:38pm The light on the TL-AU100BS complies with BS6102/3 in steady mode. The same light complies with RVLR in flashing mode. The reflector complies with BS6102/2 (subject to the caveat of using an approved bracket).
That's another long held belief blown out of the water, you'll be telling me there's no Santa next.
Unfortunately, the TL-AU100 is no longer available.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Yes.

Hmmm... I've just tested a non-light USB device and it switched mode and stopped working when I plugged it into a USB power supply. So I'm not now sure.

Please could people try the experiment and report back.

Thanks

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 30 Jul 2022, 10:47amUSB chargeable. No explicit price limit. Reputable company. And road use rather than forest adventures.
Cycling Weekly group test, March 2022:
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/group-tes ... ide-141811

Jonathan
LancsGirl

Post by LancsGirl »

Jdsk wrote: 30 Jul 2022, 10:55am
Yes.

Hmmm... I've just tested a non-light USB device and it switched mode and stopped working when I plugged it into a USB power supply. So I'm not now sure.

Please could people try the experiment and report back.

Thanks

Jonathan
I've just run the same test, using an iPhone as a dummy light.

My cheap and cheerful small battery pack stopped charging the iPhone once the battery pack itself was being charged.

The big heavy expensive battery pack continued charging the iPhone when the battery pack itself was being charged.

The battery packs were being charged from a 13amp outlet, rather than a bicycle dynamo. Also worth noting that not all lightning leads are equal. My phone sometimes complains if I use a cheap one. So using the iPhone as a light replacement may not be 100% reliable, as a test.

Though this is probably a little academic to me, at the moment, as I'm not thinking of getting a dynamo hub right now.
LancsGirl

Post by LancsGirl »

Jdsk wrote: 30 Jul 2022, 11:08am
Jdsk wrote: 30 Jul 2022, 10:47amUSB chargeable. No explicit price limit. Reputable company. And road use rather than forest adventures.
Cycling Weekly group test, March 2022:
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/group-tes ... ide-141811

Jonathan
Thanks. I quite like the look of the Lezyne lights, as there seems to be a mount that incorporates into the stem faceplate, and my bars are a bit crowded (I have crosstop levers).
Albrecht

Post by Albrecht »

How much resistance to riding do modern hub dynamos produce?

Funnily enough, I've found so many fallen off clip on lights on the road, both USB and battery, that I'll not need to buy any for life.

Could probably say the same for hub dynamos during the various hire bike company manias. The kids round here were/are stealing, trashing, and dumping so many. It's hard to get the companies to pick them up.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Albrecht wrote: 30 Jul 2022, 12:28pm How much resistance to riding do modern hub dynamos produce?
Typically 1 to 8 W at 30 kph when on.

Recent discussions:
viewtopic.php?t=143332
viewtopic.php?t=152071

Jonathan
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I'll shove my two pennies worth in here.
From what I've read of your posts on this thread so far you're not exactly a millionaire but don't want something from the pound shop. Buy cheap buy twice ends up costing more in the long run in my experience as you have as
also discovered so, with that in mind, may I suggest that a dynamo set up is the way to go.
Lots of folk will have lots of different opinions on this but my own personal experience is that prior to going self powered, my lights typically lasted about a year before either the switches gave up, the electrics gave up, the batteries gave up or the mounts for the lights gave up. The last light i bought gave up in 2014 and thats when I went dynamo. Technology may have moved on since then and better quality lights available as a result.
However, the light I bought back then (September 2014) was a B&M Cyo 80 lux Premium T plus (I think that's right) along with a B&M Topline rear light and both those lights are still running perfectly. 8 years. The Cyo I think was £80 back then and the Topline I think about £30. Had my wheel built by Spa for around £!20. Had I not swapped bike frames needing smaller wheels and then swapping to disc brakes the cost's would've been £29 per year. A half decent battery/usb powered light costs that. Then you have the inconvenience of changing/charging batteries and replacement units when it goes bang.
The front light bolts to the fork crown saving handlebar space and I made an alloy bracket to attach the rear light permanently to the rear mudguard. Drag from the hub is barely noticeable and the whole set up is 100% legal. A little dinky flashing LED could be mounted on the handlebar if you wanted one.
One other thing I love about my setup is that there is no issue with leaving it running during daylight. There are different views on this subject everywhere but in my experience, I'll see a vehicle with DRL's as more noticeable than one without. No driver can ever claim, "Well he didn't have lights on".
As any dynamo powered cyclist knows, the initial outlay is somewhat pricey. However, I and many others have all said, once you go dynamo powered, you'll never go back. They're that good.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.