Stuck seatpost!

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
niloc

Stuck seatpost!

Post by niloc »

While trying to identify the cause of an annoying click I have regreased my saddle clamp and was about to check the seatpost. It is an alloy seatpost in a steel MTB frame. Unfortunately, despite being greased, I have found that it is stuck in the seat tube. I have slightly prized the frame coupling apart to apply some penetrating oil and am hoping! and assume that it not the cause of the annoying click.. But does anyone have any useful suggestions how to loosen the seatpost, which are likely to work?
Jdsk

Re: Stuck seatpost!

Post by Jdsk »

"14 Ways to Unstick a Seatpost":
https://sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html

Keep it soaked in penetrating fluid while you're reading that!

Jonathan
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

Been there, ammonia worked for me.
Beauty will save the world.
rjb

Post by rjb »

I had a frame given to me after an annoying click which the previous owner thought was the bottom bracket. After changing it and not curing it he passed it to me completely frustrated. Turned out to be a stuck seat post which I managed to free off by soaking with penetrating oil. Alloy pin in a steel frame. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
JohnMorgan

Post by JohnMorgan »

On the subject of ‘annoying clicks’, you might want to check any cable ends hitting rotating cranks . . .
niloc

Post by niloc »

Been there, ammonia worked for me
What strength ammonia? and did you just drip it in from the seat lugs?
Did you have to dis-assemble the bike?
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

niloc wrote: 31 Jul 2022, 6:10pm
Bought the ammonia from boots, the stuff we used for soaking nappies in in the olden days.
Here’s what I did…
Remove bottom bracket, turn the bike upside down and pour the ammonia in the seat tube.
Leave for as long as your patience will allow, I left mine for a week, drain off the ammonia and use something to turn the stuck seatpost with, I used a friends vice. A word of warning this stuff stinks so do it somewhere where it won’t be a nuisance.
As stuck seatpost go mine was very stuck, I tried many different ways to free it. If it’s an aluminium seatpost in a steel frame penetrating oil won’t look at it.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

niloc wrote: 31 Jul 2022, 6:10pm
I'd avoid the chemical options for as long as possible to be honest. Partly because the "ammonia" you can buy in the public domain is pitifully weak but it's still very messy and smelly. And yes, the bike will need a complete total strip down, you don't want to ammonia on any other alloy parts.

Clamp the seatpost tightly then twist the frame around it. You could also take the saddle off and give it a smack down with a large hammer to try and break the corrosion bond.

Note that the seatpost will be a write off after doing all this!
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

I would say using ammonia is the when all else fails option.
gaz

Post by gaz »

High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

I tried nearly all of those methods (including ammonia), and got nowhere. What finally worked was pouring a hot, strong solution of caustic soda (handle with extreme caution!) into the seat post every day for about a fortnight, which ate enough of the aluminium that it was fairly easy to hacksaw the rest of it out. The frame was due for a respray anyway!
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

I don't think enough can be said about the dangers of using strong solutions of caustic soda, a very small splash which catches an eye can mean the end of sight. Full protective gear should be worn, together with a good supply of vinegar or other acidic solution to hand should things go wrong. When a strong solution hits the alloy there is the likelihood there'll be more exothermic activity, meaning the caustic can be propelled back out of the tube.

It's not necesary to use so strong a solution that it reacts excessively vigorously on contact with the alloy, instead a little patience is the best approach in my experience - up to a week before examining the result. In cold weather it will take longer.

If penetrating oil (ATF with a small amount of acetone can work very well, or 50-50 paraffin and oil) doesn't shift things, a bottle of Coke can work surprisingly well, it's well known to free off seized engine pistons.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Biospace wrote: 2 Aug 2022, 1:06pm I don't think enough can be said about the dangers of using strong solutions of caustic soda, a very small splash which catches an eye can mean the end of sight. Full protective gear should be worn, together with a good supply of vinegar or other acidic solution to hand should things go wrong. When a strong solution hits the alloy there is the likelihood there'll be more exothermic activity, meaning the caustic can be propelled back out of the tube.
If you get caustic soda or similar on your or anyone else's body I recommend washing it off with large amounts of water for at least 15 minutes, and not using an acidic solution.

"Sodium hydroxide: health effects and incident management"
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... management

Jonathan
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

Jdsk wrote: 2 Aug 2022, 1:32pm
Biospace wrote: 2 Aug 2022, 1:06pm I don't think enough can be said about the dangers of using strong solutions of caustic soda, a very small splash which catches an eye can mean the end of sight. Full protective gear should be worn, together with a good supply of vinegar or other acidic solution to hand should things go wrong. When a strong solution hits the alloy there is the likelihood there'll be more exothermic activity, meaning the caustic can be propelled back out of the tube.
If you get caustic soda or similar on your or anyone else's body I recommend washing it off with large amounts of water for at least 15 minutes, and not using an acidic solution.

Jonathan
What is the reason for not advising using a mild acidic solution on a spill of caustic?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Biospace wrote: 2 Aug 2022, 1:49pm
Jdsk wrote: 2 Aug 2022, 1:32pm

What is the reason for not advising using a mild acidic solution on a spill of caustic?
My comment above was about bodies. it's similar for inanimate objects but less important.

Water is more available and cheaper. There's no heat of reaction. There's no risk of harmful effects from the acid. It doesn't matter if you apply it for too long.

It's what's recommended by Public Health England (as was).

Jonathan