Women's football

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
jimlews

Re: Women's football

Post by jimlews »

Astonishing !

The title of the thread is WOMENS FOOTBALL

So why is everyone wittering on about the men's game from forty odd years ago?

Clearly, we need some women posting here.

Viva la difference ! !
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

jimlews wrote: 5 Aug 2022, 5:21pm Astonishing !

The title of the thread is WOMENS FOOTBALL

So why is everyone wittering on about the men's game from forty odd years ago?

Clearly, we need some women posting here.
Agreed,predictable thread drift happens no matter how much you ask for it not to :roll:
Viva la difference ! !
Indeed!
And a better class of sport from the women's games I've watched.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mumbojumbo wrote: 4 Aug 2022, 8:14pm Billy Bremner was giving away 40lb to Mackay. In a boxing match that would make DM an oppressive bully, and BB a victim.
According to Football stats they weighed respectively 70 and 68kg. Both were quite short men.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
reohn2

Re: Women's hockey

Post by reohn2 »

Apologies for the thread drift.
I watched the C/wealth women's hockey final between England and Australia yesterday and what an entertaining hour's sport it was,the skill and athleticism was top notch brilliant TV viewing!
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

reohn2 wrote: 8 Aug 2022, 8:21am Apologies for the thread drift.
I watched the C/wealth women's hockey final between England and Australia yesterday and what an entertaining hour's sport it was,the skill and athleticism was top notch brilliant TV viewing!
Agree. I felt very sorry for Australia.

Said nobody...
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

I was impressed like most other people with the womens euro championship, it was good to watch. But after watching the Newcastle game this weekend in the premiership, there is no comparison to be made, light years of difference. Newcastle were impressive, I think we will be top 3 this season.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Pebble wrote: 8 Aug 2022, 8:44am I was impressed like most other people with the womens euro championship, it was good to watch. But after watching the Newcastle game this weekend in the premiership, there is no comparison to be made, light years of difference. Newcastle were impressive, I think we will be top 3 this season.
Quoted for that there posterior :D
pete75

Post by pete75 »

I think the women's football success and attendant publicity will be to the detriment of women's hockey. Hockey is, or was, the main winter sport played by schoolgirls. It's likley there will be a move away from it towards football.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pete75 wrote: 8 Aug 2022, 1:00pm
I think the women's football success and attendant publicity will be to the detriment of women's hockey. Hockey is, or was, the main winter sport played by schoolgirls. It's likley there will be a move away from it towards football.
Possibly,though it's always been a minority sport and I doubt anyone is a professional hockey player woman or man,and a "safer" sport than football,I'll propably get sleighted for posting this,but there's also a class element to hockey,as there is between the two Rugby codes.Certain schools play certain sports.
W H Auden
Maillot Rouge

Post by Maillot Rouge »

Terrible tournament.
Terrible football.
Why did this only seem to be popular in the UK?
No one else cares!It is a minority sport that will always be as such!
This is typical and stereotypical of the current agenda in the UK.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Maillot Rouge wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 9:08pm Terrible tournament.
Terrible football.
I think you'll find you're part of a small minority there.
W H Auden
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

reohn2 wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 11:43pm
Maillot Rouge wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 9:08pm Terrible tournament.
Terrible football.
I think you'll find you're part of a small minority there.
I wouldn't agree that it's a small minority at all.
Now that all the Faux-euphoria has died down I agree to an extent.Yes it was a breath of fresh air but the standard of womens football is miles behind the mens.To use an Americanism it's not in the same ballpark.
I have played and watched football all my life and the basic fact of the matter is the women's game is on par with our 4th or 5th tier.So why all of a sudden did this tournament get so much support?The media that's why.Women's football has been around for years but it is flavour of the month.Let's see if the 'support' is still there in a few months.I doubt it.
There does seem to be an agenda in the British media to push womens football and now it seems anyone who dares to say anything other than what is seen to be the right thing is called a sexist or misogynist :roll:
It's not sexist to say that the standard in general is simply not that good.I certainly would not pay to watch womens football until the standard gets better.I can watch local teams for free on a Sunday morning which are about the same standard!

If we take it for what it was,then yes,it was enjoyable to watch as a football fan.Let's not kid ourselves it was anywhere near the level seen in the mens game.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Mens game or womens game its all totally boring to me....truly cant understand anyone finding any pleasure in watching it. Glad I encouraged my kids to partake in something more constructive and satisfying that they are now able to partake and enjoy into their 50's.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

al_yrpal wrote: 11 Aug 2022, 11:12am Mens game or womens game its all totally boring to me....truly cant understand anyone finding any pleasure in watching it. Glad I encouraged my kids to partake in something more constructive and satisfying that they are now able to partake and enjoy into their 50's.

Al
Not too late for you to take it up Al:

https://thewfa.co.uk/
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

:D :D :lol:
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......