Women's football

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
PedallingSquares

Re: Women's football

Post by PedallingSquares »

mumbojumbo wrote: 1 Aug 2022, 7:48pm Why not sing Jerusalem, or Pennies from Heaven. I would not ask for Neil Diamond who got his best song from the Monkeys i e,I am a Believer-very confessional!
Neil Diamond wrote I'm a believer :roll:

@MickF
Lot's of songs over the years have become football anthems.There's no particular logic nor pattern to it but fans usually adopt/adapt a catchy tune.Sweet Caroline was most recently adopted by Aston Villa,then England when Jack Grielish played for Villa.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

mattheus wrote: 2 Aug 2022, 4:38pm
reohn2 wrote: 2 Aug 2022, 4:05pm
Mick F wrote: 2 Aug 2022, 3:05pm :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry R2.

I have been wondering what a Neil Diamond song has to do with the women's England football team, that's all.
You could've taken the advice given by the OP and started your own thread.
Should we report his posts as Spam?
Do so if you wish.
I could consign my own post into oblivion. :D

The thing is, and I'm not defending myself at all in this, but this a tea shop.
As such, it's like an open forum, a pub garden, a chat on the street corner, or in a cafe.
The subjects change and modify in a sociable way. So long as no-one gets aggressive or upset, we are all happy ...............
Yes?
No?

If No, I'll drop the subject.
Mick F. Cornwall
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

Now children, do stop squabbling.

Back on topic;

I don't like football.
I'd rather watch paint dry!

But with the advent of women's football,
I might change my mind.

Perhaps at last, it deserves to be called the beautiful game.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

PedallingSquares wrote: 2 Aug 2022, 6:28pm
mumbojumbo wrote: 1 Aug 2022, 7:48pm Why not sing Jerusalem, or Pennies from Heaven. I would not ask for Neil Diamond who got his best song from the Monkeys i e,I am a Believer-very confessional!
Neil Diamond wrote I'm a believer :roll:
Mrs Slam and Mr Dunk right there
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Well Done the Women/females whatever. :)

Men pull you socks up :P
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Mick F wrote: 2 Aug 2022, 7:47pm
mattheus wrote: 2 Aug 2022, 4:38pm
reohn2 wrote: 2 Aug 2022, 4:05pm

You could've taken the advice given by the OP and started your own thread.
Should we report his posts as Spam?
Do so if you wish.
I could consign my own post into oblivion. :D

The thing is, and I'm not defending myself at all in this, but this a tea shop.
As such, it's like an open forum, a pub garden, a chat on the street corner, or in a cafe.
The subjects change and modify in a sociable way. So long as no-one gets aggressive or upset, we are all happy ...............
Yes?
No?

If No, I'll drop the subject.
Fascinating. So do you know why we have Topics? And Topic Titles?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

reohn2 wrote: 2 Aug 2022, 5:07pm
NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 2 Aug 2022, 11:29am Hi,

I think the women play a better game of football.
But unfortunately bad habits are creeping in or maybe they were always there?
Fouling in football is the norm due to the nature of the game,it's a contact sport and so fouls do happen at whatever level.
The difference is between an accidental foul and an intentional one,further complicated whether a foul is intentional and or dangerous that's why the card system exists.

Football used to be very much a contact sport but the rules have changed and been reintepreted over the years to reduce it. Think how good Georgie Best would be now - he spent his career when proper, hard tackling was allowed.
Then there's this famous incident, when hardman Billy Bremner turned out not to be so hard after all. Dave Mackay wasn't even sent off. George Best described Dave as 'the hardest man I ever played against, and the bravest,'

'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Billy Bremner was giving away 40lb to Mackay. In a boxing match that would make DM an oppressive bully, and BB a victim.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

None so hard as Alf Tupper... he could have a fish&chip supper, loads of beer and smoke a pack of ciggies and still beat all comers with a horrid hangover - now that's being a real man!!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

mumbojumbo wrote: 4 Aug 2022, 8:14pm Billy Bremner was giving away 40lb to Mackay. In a boxing match that would make DM an oppressive bully, and BB a victim.
Fair point, but it wasn't a boxing match. and BB hadn't been playing by the rules of the match they were actually in. This is worth reading:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football ... to-1511206
“I get asked to autograph that photo all the time,” he said a few years ago. “But I don’t like it, because it portrays me as a bully – he’s smaller than me and I’m picking him up. I’m not a bully and don’t like bullies.

“He was a brilliant little player but a dirty little b******. He kicked me in the leg I’d just come back from breaking twice. If he’d kicked the other one I could have accepted that. But he kicked the broken one and that really annoyed me. I could’ve killed him that day.”
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

In the town, where I was born,
There lived a man, who played for Leeds.
Billy Bremner was his name,
He's the best right half, you've ever seen.

We all live in the white scratching shed,
The white scratching shed, the white scratching shed
And our friends are all aboard,
There's many more of them, in Lowfields Road.

And our team, begins to play ...
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

To the tune of Sweet Caroline?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The tune is "White Scratching Shed" plagiarised by Ringo Starr for Yellow Submarine
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

simonineaston wrote: 4 Aug 2022, 8:18pm None so hard as Alf Tupper... he could have a fish&chip supper, loads of beer and smoke a pack of ciggies and still beat all comers with a horrid hangover - now that's being a real man!!
I can remember the fish & chips but not the beer and fags - I don't think they went with the ethos of what was a children's magazine.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

ANTONISH wrote: 5 Aug 2022, 3:17pm
simonineaston wrote: 4 Aug 2022, 8:18pm None so hard as Alf Tupper... he could have a fish&chip supper, loads of beer and smoke a pack of ciggies and still beat all comers with a horrid hangover - now that's being a real man!!
I can remember the fish & chips but not the beer and fags - I don't think they went with the ethos of what was a children's magazine.
Same here. And you've forgotten the 20mile bike ride to the track, arriving with seconds to spare!