Women's football

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: Women's football

Post by reohn2 »

Squares
I've got to say I disagree at the international level the level of women's football is at higher standard than 3rd or 4th div and most certainly far far higher than the amateur game.
Yes it's not at the same level as the int men's or premiership game but the men's game has somewhat of head start due to people paying to watch it for far longe,as a result the pro game has developed over a much longer time period and with much better pay and facilities.
The men's game is faster and stronger without doubt for obvious reasons..
None of that means the women's game isn't entertaining or without great skill,grace and speed,it most certainly is IMHO.

FWIW I can rarely get through 90 mins of a men's prem game without getting bored it's become so cynical.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote: 11 Aug 2022, 11:12am Mens game or womens game its all totally boring to me....truly cant understand anyone finding any pleasure in watching it. Glad I encouraged my kids to partake in something more constructive and satisfying that they are now able to partake and enjoy into their 50's.

Al
My bold
It may be boring to you but it's country's most popular game at all levels both watching and playing.
Claiming some sort of moral high ground about your children not playing a game of football doesn't stand up as an argument IMO,playing football isn't an either or to some other pastime/hobby/pursuit,one can do both/many if one chooses.

EDITED for clarity.
W H Auden
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

reohn2 wrote: 11 Aug 2022, 2:21pm Squares
I've got to say I disagree at the international level the level of women's football is at higher standard than 3rd or 4th div and most certainly far far higher than the amateur game.
Yes it's not at the same level as the int men's or premiership game but the men's game has somewhat of head start due to people paying to watch it for far longe,as a result the pro game has developed over a much longer time period and with much better pay and facilities.
The men's game is faster and stronger without doubt for obvious reasons..
None of that means the women's game isn't entertaining or without great skill,grace and speed,it most certainly is IMHO.

FWIW I can rarely get through 90 mins of a men's prem game without getting bored it's become so cynical.
Yes, sort of agree, some of the the international level the level of women's football (esp the lionesses) is at higher standard than 2nd or 3rd div (although I suspect a 2nd /3rd div team would beat the lionesses) although if you made it a non contact support the lionesses could very well win?

I think it is very difficult to compare, but non the less I really did genuinely enjoy the womens euros, it was good entertaining football. Although some of the high scoring games seemed quite amateur. Football often seems to be more about defending than scoring, good teams concede very few goals, and high scoring games is usual a sign of very poor team work - think of schoolboy games and 15-0 nonsense.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Pebble wrote: 11 Aug 2022, 3:42pm
Yes, sort of agree, some of the the international level the level of women's football (esp the lionesses) is at higher standard than 2nd or 3rd div (although I suspect a 2nd /3rd div team would beat the lionesses) although if you made it a non contact support the lionesses could very well win?
A direct comparison cannot be made between the the men's and women's game at the higher level for the reasons given,the men's game is more developed and the strength is also a huge factor too.
I think it is very difficult to compare, but non the less I really did genuinely enjoy the womens euros, it was good entertaining football. Although some of the high scoring games seemed quite amateur. Football often seems to be more about defending than scoring, good teams concede very few goals, and high scoring games is usual a sign of very poor team work - think of schoolboy games and 15-0 nonsense.
I thoroughly enjoyed the women's euros,it was very competitive,where teams were well matched,which is difficult because not all nations are as developed as others due to a lack of investment meaning a few teams were semi pro or even in a couple of cases mostly amateurs,that's the reason for high scoring in some games,similarly so in some school level teams.
But no one can honestly say that the last four teams weren't skillful accomplished athletes(I'm not saying you are BTW)they most definitely are!
W H Auden
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

reohn2 wrote: 11 Aug 2022, 2:27pm My bold
It may be boring to you but it's country's most popular game at all levels both watching and playing.
Claiming some sort of moral high ground about your children not playing a game of football doesn't stand up as an argument IMO,playing football isn't an either or to some other pastime/hobby/pursuit,one can do both/many if one chooses.

EDITED for clarity.
So what? I made no claim to moral high ground and it isnt an argument. Football is boring as far as I am concerned, as are the antics of footballers and WAGs which the media seem to love writing about. Far too much of it on the box too.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I wouldn't know what's "on the box" or if there's too much of it, but football - men's or women's is boring.

My dad took me to watch Wigan Athletic (amateur in those days) to play Manchester City at Main Road. Mid 1960's?
"Latics" were in the 3rd or maybe the 4th round of the FA Cup, and they lost. Dunno the score.

I think that was the first and last football game I watched.
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote: 11 Aug 2022, 5:35pm
reohn2 wrote: 11 Aug 2022, 2:27pm My bold

EDITED for clarity.
So what? I made no claim to moral high ground and it isnt an argument.
You claimed:-
Glad I encouraged my kids to partake in something more constructive and satisfying
that appeared as taking some sort of moral highground stance to me at least,claiming football is less constructive and satisfing than whatever your kids were encouraged to play seems a bit snobby .
Football is boring as far as I am concerned, as are the antics of footballers and WAGs which the media seem to love writing about. Far too much of it on the box too.

Al
I can fully understand you to find football boring in the same way anyone may find any sport boring,that's OK by me just don't judge the game by your own outlook of it.
As for the antics of some top pro players,you're right,there are some "jack the lad" types that set a poor example which we could do without hearing about IMO,but that could be said of any sport,it's just that we hear more about footballers because they have such a high profile due to the game being so popular and their ridiculous pay rates at the top level.
I never read anything about football so wouldn't know about the WAGs and commentators on the game,but I do enjoy watching a good game of which the woman's Euros had quite a few and acouple of duds that I watched.
The subject matter of the thread is women's football,which I and many others watched and enjoyed and would've enjoyed it just as much whoever won the final.
As for there being too much football on the box,well I'd agree that there's too much time given over to it on news programs,but it is the national sport after all.
Actual games on the box not so many AFAICS,and little to none women's games other than the Euros just gone.
If you want to watch boring sport watch golf and cricket,both of which I understand the technicalities of,but find them utterly boring in the extreme,though that's just my opinion,it wouldn't do for us all to be the same would it?

BTW from the OP,I asked:-
if you're going to post negativity about football or the women's game in general start your own thread please.
:roll:
W H Auden
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

What I noticed watching the England womens team was, I was never sat there saying things like "Pass it then" or "I could have scored that" or "Why aren't you defending" or "Make a run then" or any of it. What I'm saying is, I saw practically no mistakes being made. Compare that to watching my "male" team Man United these days. :roll:
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

My Dad used to take me to see Leytonstone play on Saturdays when he was on a shift that allowed it and I played football at school, we all had to. Its my opinion that far too many Dads assume that the game they like is what their kids should like instead of listening to their kids and encouraging them to follow their own interests.
I find watching almost any sport boring, so to me football isnt an exception.
If you watch any tv news you cant have missed the recent WAG fest. I cant understand why BBC ITV etc give it any air time?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote: 12 Aug 2022, 7:39am My Dad used to take me to see Leytonstone play on Saturdays when he was on a shift that allowed it and I played football at school, we all had to. Its my opinion that far too many Dads assume that the game they like is what their kids should like instead of listening to their kids and encouraging them to follow their own interests.
That can be said of some Fathers,or even mothers WRT any sport,pastime or hobby the parent is interested in not just football,in fact of schools too.
I've never been to a football stadium to watch a game of football,as I don't like crowds.

If you watch any tv news you cant have missed the recent WAG fest. I cant understand why BBC ITV etc give it any air time?

Al
I can,coz when the news is on I usually go and do something else :wink:
W H Auden
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

al_yrpal wrote: 12 Aug 2022, 7:39am
I find watching almost any sport boring, so to me football isnt an exception.

Al
Maybe try seeing things as others see them - sport is INCReDIBLY popular, here as in most other countries.
Find another thread to moan - sorry - contribute to.

It should be no surprise that the news gives time to sport and football matters - see first point above.
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

Paint is drying really nicely, now.
Almost touch dry.
Fascinating !