recovery drink shakes

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
jawaka

recovery drink shakes

Post by jawaka »

For Goodness Shakes used to come in single one drink sachets but it doesn't look like they are available. I used them when on holiday or touring in the mountains as they are small to carry
High Five seem to be similar, does anyone have feedback on this or other recovery sachet drinks?
Sweep

Re: recovery drink shakes

Post by Sweep »

jawaka wrote: 31 Jul 2022, 10:11pm For Goodness Shakes used to come in single one drink sachets but it doesn't look like they are available. I used them when on holiday or touring in the mountains as they are small to carry
High Five seem to be similar, does anyone have feedback on this or other recovery sachet drinks?
but what's in them?
why not eat real food with similar nutrients etc?
Not as if you you need to quickly gulp down stuff mid-ride.
These folks, or one of their sister companies, will probably have some stuff:
https://www.bulk.com/uk/

(I use their maltodextrin during rides)
Sweep
TheBomber

Post by TheBomber »

Pint of milk is an easily available low fat high protein alternative. Add some drinking chocolate powder for a different flavour.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Saw last year on GCN that the best recovery drink is the same stuff as you have in your bottle - after all, that's why you drink it on the road. Since then, I've been having a pint of Isostar grapefruit made up with Badoit (think Perrier without the little finger lifted) straight out of the fridge. This weather it disappears PDQ. Since I've been using that I haven't had any post-ride cramps.

Bananas are pretty good too, so you could have one alongside the drink - or better yet a banana & chocolate sandwich.

And keep your legs moving for a while, e.g. a gentle stroll after dinner.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Eyebrox

Post by Eyebrox »

I bought tablets from Wiggle thinking they were one of the usual SIS, High Five or similar brands. I see from the small print on the tube that they're from "For Goodness Shakes". I bought them, without checking, to make up an order and earn free postage.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

As you can't access the inside of bottle nozzles for cleaning, I always eat solid food, and drink only tap water. Having seen the black sludge inside someone else's bottle nozzle after it fell apart, I think I made the right decision.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

axel_knutt wrote: 1 Aug 2022, 11:04am As you can't access the inside of bottle nozzles for cleaning, I always eat solid food, and drink only tap water. Having seen the black sludge inside someone else's bottle nozzle after it fell apart, I think I made the right decision.
When I get home I fill the bottle with hot water at 70°C straight out of the tap, then pull out the nozzle and invert it into the hot water. I then fill the cap with hot water and leave the bottle to soak until my next ride. Black sludge doesn't lke 70°.

I've also tried putting bottles through the dishwasher but it's not as good as the hot soak.

And now, back to the thread.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Audax67 wrote: 1 Aug 2022, 11:30am When I get home I fill the bottle with hot water at 70°C straight out of the tap,
😲 Having your hot tap at 70˚C is a scalding hazard (unless it is one of those heater taps with a push for higher temperatures) but it's your skin (and your cohabitants and visitors...)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
DurableAce

Post by DurableAce »

Going back to the OP, I also miss the FGS sachets. For all the whys and wherefores, I found FGS very beneficial to my recovery, but only used the sachets following the hardest/longest of rides when I am also riding on consecutive days and away from home.

I fall back on two options. (1) Simple protein drink in a big tub, such as from Holland and Barrett, and forego the carbs from this source. As it's much cheaper, I use it more often than FGS. (2) FGS in a big tub, decanted into small bags or reusable small plastic container.

Don't get me started on the strawberry FGS disappearing :lol:
JohnMorgan

Post by JohnMorgan »

Sorry, know nothing about sachet shakes. If it gets too hot when I’m finished, my go to is fresh orange and soda water.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

mjr wrote: 1 Aug 2022, 11:47am
Audax67 wrote: 1 Aug 2022, 11:30am When I get home I fill the bottle with hot water at 70°C straight out of the tap,
😲 Having your hot tap at 70˚C is a scalding hazard (unless it is one of those heater taps with a push for higher temperatures) but it's your skin (and your cohabitants and visitors...)
Might be 60° these days, I haven't checked since we swapped out the heater in 2019. In any case, folk don't make the same mistake twice.

"Better drowned than duffers, if not duffers won't drown."