Why do we use identical (paired) tyres?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
tenbikes

Re: Why do we use identical (paired) tyres?

Post by tenbikes »

Probably doesn't matter that much on tarmac, but the benefits off road using dedicated f / r tyres is significant.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

I now run different tyres front/back on my bent trike.
With the same, fronts lasted 8k miles but the back only lasted 4k miles.
That was a problem on +5k mile tours as I needed to find good 20" tyre while on the road.
So I now run a heavier tyre on the back, which gives me around 8k miles before it's worn out.
Plus the added puncture protection is a good bonus.

Luck .......... :D
audaxjk

Post by audaxjk »

I run different tyres on my mtb - 1.5 inch on front and 2.1 inch on the rear, different brands too.

My single speed has a more robust puncture proof tyre on the rear as removing/repairing/realigning the wheel is more hassle at the roadside compared with a quick release axle.

Even my road bikes often have different tyres front & back as the front is rotated to replace a worn rear & then my replacement pair are often some other brand (I tend to stock up on spare/replacement tyres when something is on offer so not always loyal to a particular make).
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

GideonReade wrote: 31 Jul 2022, 10:46pm
In general, why do we habitually have identical tyres front and rear? Modern MTBs don't.
Is back in the nineties modern?
Back then on my MtB I used 'scratch and sniff' tyres. You can guess which way on they fitted.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

andrew_s wrote: 31 Jul 2022, 11:38pm The reason I use identical tyres is that the rear tyre wears 2 or 3 times as fast as the front.
When the rear wears out, I put the front tyre on the rear, and a new tyre on the front. I do that because the consequences of any tyre failure are potentially a lot worse if it's the front tyre that fails than the rear, so I want my best and least knackered tyre on the front.
+1
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
hoogerbooger

Post by hoogerbooger »

I've run with a bigger tyre on the back of my Raleigh Randonneur tourer for 20 years or so. My thinking is that there's always more weight on the back and with the larger back I have more flexibility with tyre pressure/surfaces.

I had 37mm on the back the last time I toured on it & IIRC a 32 on the front( the trip had some off road tracks) Currently it's only being used for day rides and I've got 28 on the front and 32mm on the back, which seems fine with road and gravel tracks.

Have used same model/tread pattern usually ( not currently) but that was probably just unnecessary aesthetic considerations.
old fangled
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I use a lighter front tyre on my exped bike.

Important for me that if I do run different tyfres they will both take the same tubes though. I always carry two new tubes - don't want to be carrying four (and in any case would probably forget tubes for one of tyres)
Sweep
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't...

Right now I have almost new (about a year and a half old matching tyres) that I swap over once a year...

Before then I had a marathon plus on the rear and something lighter on the front, both the same width..

In the mid 90s I had a 2 inch slick on the front and a 1.75 inch multi use on the back.. (bigger tyre on the front for suspension duties)..

..building up another bike now, 1.75 mixed use on the front and another 1.75 marathon plus on the rear.. although I am tempted to swap the front tyre for a 2 inch wide tyre I've found in the shed...

fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

tim-b wrote: 1 Aug 2022, 5:52am Hi
I don't. I have a 25mm at the front and a 30mm with additional puncture protection at the rear. The rear takes the majority of my weight, 30mm gives extra volume for comfort and the majority of punctures seem to happen at the rear so it's logically better protected
They do look very similar though :)
I have a spare 25mm tyre which can go on either end
Because your rear tyre is wider now, is it more likely to get a puncture (maybe 20% more likely)?? :lol:
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I generally run matched pairs so (if i remember) i can rotate them for better wear. OTOH my 'hack' bike rarely sees two matching tyres as it gets whats cheap/available when it needs them but generally they will be the same width.

Its interesting that several people have stated that they use a wider tyre on the rear 'for comfort', i know its counter intuitive but for comfort you actually want the fatter tyre on the front.

But i'm hardly one to preach, i usually ride 23's or 25's, my 'fat' tyres on the touring bike are 28's! Okay i'll admit to a pair of 32's but they are snow studs.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

My wife runs a larger tyre R as compared to F. Same brand different models
Barrowman

Post by Barrowman »

I am sure I have seen tyres that are intended to be fitted in opposing tread patterns on front or back.
(Or forward on the front and backwards in the back)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Barrowman wrote: 1 Aug 2022, 10:23pm I am sure I have seen tyres that are intended to be fitted in opposing tread patterns on front or back.
(Or forward on the front and backwards in the back)
That's consistent with one driving and the other being driven.

What effect it has in practice is a different question...

Jonathan

PS: Other numbers of wheels are also available! : -)
mig

Post by mig »

continental produced an unmatched 'pair' of tyres called 'attack' and 'force' some years ago. IIRC the rear was slightly wider and they had specific tread patterns on each.
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Because your rear tyre is wider now, is it more likely to get a puncture (maybe 20% more likely)?? :lol:
Hi
I don't know about that, but I can tell you that the narrower, lighter rear was about 100% more likely to get a puncture than the same tyre on the front :)
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~