Linking to Twitter

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
ratherbeintobago

Re: Linking to Twitter

Post by ratherbeintobago »

Paulatic wrote: 3 Aug 2022, 10:52amHence a screenshot, with link, would, for me, be more useful.
Unless I'm missing something that needs image hosting?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

ratherbeintobago wrote: 3 Aug 2022, 10:53am
Paulatic wrote: 3 Aug 2022, 10:52amHence a screenshot, with link, would, for me, be more useful.
Unless I'm missing something that needs image hosting?
I don’t think so but maybe I don’t know everyone’s systems.
I just take the shot post on forum then go back into my photos and delete it.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
ratherbeintobago

Screenshot 2022-08-03 at 11.12.02.png
Apparently it does.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

ratherbeintobago wrote: 3 Aug 2022, 11:13am Screenshot 2022-08-03 at 11.12.02.png

Apparently it does.
<snore>
Already seen that ...

;-)
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Paulatic wrote: 3 Aug 2022, 10:52am ...
Hence a screenshot, with link, would, for me, be more useful. I can then immediately identify if I’ve seen it earlier or if I’m interested enough to go explore the thread
Ah yes, I agree with that point (or even relevant text quoted from the source).

But that applies to all links posted in forums - especially to newspaper articles (which can be loaded with annoying adverts, cookies etc) and videos. I rarely click on them without relevant info being supplied!
-------------
Twitter worked a lot better when it was text only. <sigh... >
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

ratherbeintobago wrote: 3 Aug 2022, 11:13am Screenshot 2022-08-03 at 11.12.02.png

Apparently it does.
What does?

E2E info
mjr

Post by mjr »

Jdsk wrote: 2 Aug 2022, 9:29am The Guardian does this very well. A large number of the elements in their images from Twitter are active.
The Guardian seems to paste (either manually or more likely automatically) texts of Tweets into their feeds now, after loads of problems embedding for non-logged-in-to-Twitter or non-users.
slowster wrote: 3 Aug 2022, 9:58am There is no need to sign up or log in to Twitter to view a tweet or a Twitter thread containing a series of tweets. In that respect therefore I do not see any functional difference between between posting a link to a tweet vs. a link to a BBC news article.
Well, one big difference is that the BBC doesn't pop up a login-required box if you scroll too far down a page. Twitter does. Maybe not if it knows your browser or IP address, but it certainly does for some. I will try to remember to take a picture the next time I see it, if you want.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
slowster

Post by slowster »

mjr wrote: 3 Aug 2022, 1:50pm
slowster wrote: 3 Aug 2022, 9:58am There is no need to sign up or log in to Twitter to view a tweet or a Twitter thread containing a series of tweets. In that respect therefore I do not see any functional difference between between posting a link to a tweet vs. a link to a BBC news article.
Well, one big difference is that the BBC doesn't pop up a login-required box if you scroll too far down a page. Twitter does. Maybe not if it knows your browser or IP address, but it certainly does for some. I will try to remember to take a picture the next time I see it, if you want.
The Sign Up/Log In pop up does not appear in a thread of tweets, so a link to any of the following should be fine:
- an isolated single tweet
- the first tweet in a thread
- any other tweet in a thread

The Sign Up/Log In pop up does appear on a user's 'home page' if you scroll below the last half a dozen tweets they posted. Even then it is not necessary to sign up or log in: if you click on the sign up button, another pop up box appears which can just be closed by clicking on 'X' in the top left of the pop up, which takes you back to the user's 'home page' and then you can continue scrolling through their past tweets.
slowster

Post by slowster »

This thread was started in the Test Board, in which posts are auto-deleted after an unknown time period. I think this thread should be moved to the 'Using the forum board' before it gets auto-deleted, and have therefore reported this post.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thankyou

I didn't know about autodeletion.

Jonathan
ratherbeintobago

What's the auto-deletion time cutoff?
gaz

Post by gaz »

ratherbeintobago wrote: 3 Aug 2022, 7:13pm What's the auto-deletion time cutoff?
The clock resets with each reply posted, I don't recall the time a thread on the Test Board needs to be dormant before it is lost.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I had noticed this thread was on the test board. Not only does it auto delete but it doesn’t show under active topics.
My default use of the forum is using 'active topics' and wondered why I could never see/ find this thread.

E2E info
ratherbeintobago

It’s been moved to ‘Does anyone know?’ which probably isn’t the best place for it as it’s a technical question about the forum, but at least it’s now more visible.
ratherbeintobago

Bump for the mods/tech support - anyone more thoughts on this?