Linking to Twitter

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Jdsk

Linking to Twitter

Post by Jdsk »

From another thread:
Jdsk wrote: 2 Aug 2022, 8:16am
Edit - as a total aside is there an easy way to embed Tweets on here?
Not that I know. I put a screen shot and an outlink.
Is there a neater method?

Thanks

Jonathan
ratherbeintobago

Re: Linking to Twitter

Post by ratherbeintobago »

Thanks for starting this thread.

There’s a suggestion that the latest version of BBCode supports [tweet] tags but this forum doesn’t having tested it - I don’t know whether that’s due to software version or whether this is optional and needs enabling.

I know some other forums eg. STW auto detect linked tweets and embed them but I don’t know what software that runs on.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

The Guardian does this very well. A large number of the elements in their images from Twitter are active.

Jonathan

PS: The inline YouTube facility on this site is excellent.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

For some Twitter images it's possible to modify the size at which they are displayed inline.

For example:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FZHp_4aXgAA ... name=large

Jonathan
ratherbeintobago

I can work out how to link directly to Twitter images from desktop but not iOS.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

ratherbeintobago wrote: 2 Aug 2022, 6:49pm I can work out how to link directly to Twitter images from desktop but not iOS.
Viewing in Safari... press and hold on the image until a menu pops up... then Share the URL.

Jonathan
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Looking at the thread that triggered this one I’d say posting a pic of the Tweet is the better option. Those who don’t use Twitter can then see/read it.
Posting a link to the Tweet is pointless for a) those who don’t visit Twitter and b) those of us on Twitter groan because we’ve seen the tweet already.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
ratherbeintobago

Difficulty there is that you need some sort of photo hosting?

Embedding tweets in-line is much better if there’s a technical means of doing that; currently there isn’t.
slowster

Post by slowster »

Paulatic wrote: 2 Aug 2022, 9:28pm Looking at the thread that triggered this one I’d say posting a pic of the Tweet is the better option. Those who don’t use Twitter can then see/read it.
Posting a link to the Tweet is pointless for a) those who don’t visit Twitter and b) those of us on Twitter groan because we’ve seen the tweet already.
There is no need to sign up or log in to Twitter to view a tweet or a Twitter thread containing a series of tweets. In that respect therefore I do not see any functional difference between between posting a link to a tweet vs. a link to a BBC news article.

Being able to display a photograph from a tweet is useful, but from the comments above it seems that is already possible. If tweets were embedded that would presumably give the benefit of also embedding the videos in some tweets, but I an unconvinced that it is worth the bother of providing that functionality for the type of videos typically posted to Twitter.

Given that a tweet is limited to 270 characters, and the embedding I have seen on other websites appears to be limited to two or three tweets, there does not appear to be much value in embedding tweets in order to be able to read the text.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Paulatic wrote: 2 Aug 2022, 9:28pm Looking at the thread that triggered this one I’d say posting a pic of the Tweet is the better option. Those who don’t use Twitter can then see/read it.
You've read the whole of twitter? Chapeau!
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Last time I looked into this, twitter made it very difficult to copy text to the clipboard.
(I know much of this thread is focused on tweeted images.)
Is that still the case? I'm guessing so, as I never see tweet text pasted into other forums.

(I suppose you could use OCR software, bit of a chore though!)
ratherbeintobago

Here is an example from another forum of what an embedded tweet should look like: https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topi ... t-12484565
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Another prioblem with linking to twitter/facebook for those of us who are not members, we often can't view the content, just get a pop-up saying would we like to join.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

mattheus wrote: 3 Aug 2022, 10:13am
You've read the whole of twitter? Chapeau!
I can use bold as well. :D
The cycling world on Twitter isn’t that large. My experience is I’ve stopped clicking on any Twitter links on this forum because whenever I have I’ve already seen it.
Hence a screenshot, with link, would, for me, be more useful. I can then immediately identify if I’ve seen it earlier or if I’m interested enough to go explore the thread
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
ratherbeintobago

Pebble wrote: 3 Aug 2022, 10:45am Another prioblem with linking to twitter/facebook for those of us who are not members, we often can't view the content, just get a pop-up saying would we like to join.
Isn't that more of a problem with Facebook than Twitter?