Low blood count

ANTONISH

Low blood count

Post by ANTONISH »

Some months ago I had a "ramp test" and the ECG detected a dropped beat. Apparently quite common and not considered particularly serious
However since it was detected it was referred to my GP practice.
A cardiologist looked at the read out and decided that in the absence of other symptoms there was no need for further action.

In the meantime the GP arranged a blood test which came back as satisfactory except for a low blood count (123).
The GP decided this needed further investigation and arranged for stool test and a further blood test.
All has come back satisfactory including iron and B12 except for the low blood count for which there appears to be no reason.

My blood count has gradually got lower over the years - I used to give blood regularly but when my levels dropped consistently below 135, I could no longer do so.
I wonder if anyone on this forum has had a similar experience. I feel OK and I rode 106k on Saturday - not fast - but I'm 81 - definitely slower on hills.
Jdsk

Re: Low blood count

Post by Jdsk »

This is a haemoglobin concentration of 123 g/L?

Jonathan

PS: Others may have had they same test but with the result expressed in g/dL, where this would be 12.3 g/dL. Similarly both units are used in advice and guidance.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Jdsk wrote: 2 Aug 2022, 9:20am This is a haemoglobin concentration of 123 g/L?

Jonathan

PS: Others may have had they same test but with the result expressed in g/dL, where this would be 12.6 g/dL. Similarly Both units are used in advice and guidance.
Yes - I couldn't remember the units - the blood service always gives it in g/l
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks.

What and when was the most recent result before these two?

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

ANTONISH wrote: 2 Aug 2022, 9:11am Some months ago I had a "ramp test" and the ECG detected a dropped beat. Apparently quite common and not considered particularly serious
However since it was detected it was referred to my GP practice.
A cardiologist looked at the read out and decided that in the absence of other symptoms there was no need for further action.

In the meantime the GP arranged a blood test which came back as satisfactory except for a low blood count (123).
The GP decided this needed further investigation and arranged for stool test and a further blood test.
All has come back satisfactory including iron and B12 except for the low blood count for which there appears to be no reason.

My blood count has gradually got lower over the years - I used to give blood regularly but when my levels dropped consistently below 135, I could no longer do so.
I wonder if anyone on this forum has had a similar experience. I feel OK and I rode 106k on Saturday - not fast - but I'm 81 - definitely slower on hills.
The blood donor bit applied to me but it was while I was still working so it must be 25 - 30 years ago. I didn't really understand the letter but it was written in the in the standard arrogant "we're doing you a favour deigning to allow you to contribute" NBTS style so I just stopped donating.

Although I was diagnosed with angina , perhaps a decade later, the "blood count" has never again been mentioned as a problem.

FWIW, I'm 77 and I feel as though I've aged two decades in the two years of covid. Good luck with this
531colin

Post by 531colin »

I'm 75, I get monitored annually because I'm on blood pressure medication.
I occasionally get a "low" for haemoglobin, but its only slightly low and I'm always symptom free, so I don't take it too seriously.

However, its worth doing; a friend was recently diagnosed with bowel cancer, and the alerting symptom was low haemoglobin....properly low, not marginal.
After the age of 75 you have to request a poo test every 2 years, they don't send one automatically; I'm going to try to remember to request my poo test kit. (Its not "poo sticks" any more.....shame really, I'm a bit of a Winnie the Pooh fan!)

EDIT....the covid business with all the associated reduced contacts, etc, has dented my confidence, and that of other people my sort of age who I have talked to. I find giving myself a stern talking to gets me out, and then I enjoy being out.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

531colin wrote: 2 Aug 2022, 1:09pm ...
After the age of 75 you have to request a poo test every 2 years, they don't send one automatically; I'm going to try to remember to request my poo test kit. (Its not "poo sticks" any more.....shame really, I'm a bit of a Winnie the Pooh fan!)
How the bowel cancer screening programme works:
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/bowel-cancer-screening/

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

ANTONISH wrote: 2 Aug 2022, 9:11am ...In the meantime the GP arranged a blood test which came back as satisfactory except for a low blood count (123).
Since <<complex medical issues>> starting 2018 I've had numerous FBC tests as GP has no clue as to what to do. Worrying is that my Red Blood Cell count has been dropping from lower normal limit to significantly below normal, getting worse each test. At the same time my MCH has been climbing from marginal normal (upper limit) getting further and further outside normal limits (deteriorating). When I raise this with GP he just dismisses it as "your RBC is always low" - except it has never been low prior to my current condition. He then looks at the estimated haemoglobin which is in range because low RBC but big Red Blood Cells work together to give normal haemoglobin estimate.

So be reassured that at least your GP is investigating whereas mine is just ignoring (and no point in pursuing it as he's already decided to do nothing).

(All my iron, B12, etc. tests show normal).

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Psamathe wrote: 2 Aug 2022, 2:09pmHe then looks at the estimated haemoglobin which is in range because low RBC but big Red Blood Cells work together to give normal haemoglobin estimate.
That's not how the analyser works. The haemoglobin concentration is measured directly.

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Jdsk wrote: 2 Aug 2022, 2:13pm
Psamathe wrote: 2 Aug 2022, 2:09pmHe then looks at the estimated haemoglobin which is in range because low RBC but big Red Blood Cells work together to give normal haemoglobin estimate.
That's not how the analyser works. The haemoglobin concentration is measured directly.

Jonathan
When I het a copy of my blood test results from GP (as I keep copies in case consultants question ...) the Haemoglobin row says
Screenshot 2022-08-02 at 14.58.05.png
So I'd assumed the "estimation" row was the amount of haemoglobin. But I'm not a medic.

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I think that's the rubric of a SNOMED-CT code. I don't know why estimation is used, and I suspect that it's carried over from the previous Read code. I'll check.

Haemoglobin concentration is measured directly:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complete_blood_count

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Jdsk wrote: 2 Aug 2022, 3:04pm I think that's the rubric of a SNOMED-CT code. I don't know why estimation is used, and I suspect that it's carried over from the previous Read code. I'll check.

Haemoglobin concentration is measured directly:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complete_blood_count

Jonathan
Thanks but don't spend your time on it for me as my GP has decided to do nothing so not much I can do about that (he is "opinionated" e.g. has not done tests consultants have written asking him to do ... on several occasions).

Ian
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Psamathe wrote: 2 Aug 2022, 2:09pm
ANTONISH wrote: 2 Aug 2022, 9:11am ...In the meantime the GP arranged a blood test which came back as satisfactory except for a low blood count (123).
Since <<complex medical issues>> starting 2018 I've had numerous FBC tests as GP has no clue as to what to do. Worrying is that my Red Blood Cell count has been dropping from lower normal limit to significantly below normal, getting worse each test. At the same time my MCH has been climbing from marginal normal (upper limit) getting further and further outside normal limits (deteriorating). When I raise this with GP he just dismisses it as "your RBC is always low" - except it has never been low prior to my current condition. He then looks at the estimated haemoglobin which is in range because low RBC but big Red Blood Cells work together to give normal haemoglobin estimate.

So be reassured that at least your GP is investigating whereas mine is just ignoring (and no point in pursuing it as he's already decided to do nothing).

(All my iron, B12, etc. tests show normal).

Ian
Well after the last test the GP decided that it's just the way I am so has stopped investigating. ( Actually I don't seem to have A GP although I've been registered with the same practice for over thirty years so the two blood tests were arranged by two different GPs - they come and go - as for a lot of people a face to face consultation is a vanishingly rare event)
Still things are looking up - some years ago when I last went to give blood my level had dropped to 112 - the GP who phoned me on that occasion said it wasn't clinically significant.
I'm not worried but curious to know the reason for my low blood count - I'd always thought it was associated with iron levels - perhaps I need some altitude training.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks

Trend over time is very important in this sort of situation. And I did wonder if your current doctor had access to the previous results.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

ANTONISH wrote: 2 Aug 2022, 4:02pmI'm not worried but curious to know the reason for my low blood count - I'd always thought it was associated with iron levels - perhaps I need some altitude training.
Anaemia caused by iron deficiency is very common, but there's a vast list of other causes.

Jonathan