Fuel prices

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: Fuel prices

Post by reohn2 »

Biospace wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 5:28pm
reohn2 wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 4:54pm Here's one business that will not be staying in the Uk because they can't afford to thanks to the sheer lack of support from government on energy costs on top of the cost of Brexit export costs and hoops that need jumping through as a result.
A thousand redundancies,thanks a total lack of help or any promise of it from PM Johnson(currently on holiday in Greece),Sunak and Truss:- https://youtu.be/xXzQ9g2qwsw

The lockdowns had a devastating effect on many smaller businesses, as well as people's health.

We're in a different sort of mess from Germany, energy-wise, because there's been a quarter century of little or no long term energy policy. Both Labour and Conservative parties share the blame for this.
I can't argue with that.

I'm still wondering why forecourt prices are so high when
August 2022 crude $89
June 2008 crude $187 - £1.04 at the pump.
https://fullfact.org/economy/petrol-crude-oil-prices/
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

Ah, I had wondered if part of the reason was the £ had depreciated so much against the $. Didn't expect to hear it's by so much, doubtless uncertainties over trade/Brexit, a rudderless govt and our huge Covid-related borrowing have made things worse.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

reohn2 wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 8:28pm You're dead right I'm angry and unhappy,at the way my country of birth is being run into the ground by people only interested in self and the rich who finance their evil party,and who's raison d'etre is to favour themselves and their financiers over the people who make this country rich and great!

Edited for clarity
I'm British but don't suffer the daily hardships brought on by the 12 years of Tory government as I live in the EU.
Do I get angry? You bet!
People mistakenly think (some friends included) is that stating facts about how my once great country is continually failing its people is somehow unpatriotic.
Every day I hear another item on the news that makes me cringe. Today its the discharge of raw sewage contaminating beaches after the heavy rain.
No wonder the EU don't want our fish. :(
I hope when Starmer gets elected things may start to get better.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

francovendee wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 8:02am
I'm British but don't suffer the daily hardships brought on by the 12 years of Tory government as I live in the EU.
Do I get angry? You bet!
People mistakenly think (some friends included) is that stating facts about how my once great country is continually failing its people is somehow unpatriotic.
Every day I hear another item on the news that makes me cringe. Today its the discharge of raw sewage contaminating beaches after the heavy rain.
they're still taking 700,000 tonne of fish out of our waters every year - which is more than we catch ourselves.

and now of that does not mean I think leaving the EU was a good idea or that this country is not going down the pan, although apparently out of the G20 there is one other nation with smaller economic growth ! Russia lol
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Pebble wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 8:22am
francovendee wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 8:02am
Do I get angry? You bet!
they're still taking 700,000 tonne of fish out of our waters every year - which is more than we catch ourselves.

and now of that does not mean I think leaving the EU was a good idea or that this country is not going down the pan, although apparently out of the G20 there is one other nation with smaller economic growth ! Russia lol
Sorry, :oops: I should have said shellfish.
It really is a confusing thing when I hear we're one of the 6 or 7th richest nations yet services of all sorts are stretched to breaking point.
I have a daughter and two grandchildren and I get regular updates of how they are struggling to manage.
As an example she's not had a face to face consultation with her doctor for nearly a year. So her skin condition worsens every week.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Biospace wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 11:16pm Ah, I had wondered if part of the reason was the £ had depreciated so much against the $. Didn't expect to hear it's by so much, doubtless uncertainties over trade/Brexit, a rudderless govt and our huge Covid-related borrowing have made things worse.
When there's a slump the people making money out of it are those who caused it!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Shouldn't fuel and food prices really be lower than in 2016? We were told they would be.

facebook_1660727192279_6965594705487030680.jpg
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Debs

Post by Debs »

The weird thing about energy costs is that the traffic one pays has changed to become completely dependent upon ability to pay or how much money is in your bank account. Most energy payments are Direct Debit.

This is change from the contract with the energy company tariff system to implicate a kind of energy tax on people who are able to pay. It would seem the disaster capitalist economists and scam masters in the Tory Cabal are focused on looking at where the money is and letting the robber barrens of the energy companies gleefully grab it. If your are too poor to pay you won't be able to, if you are wealthy enough to afford a roof of solar panels then you can make big bucks money selling power back to the grid, but the mostly peoples in-between, those who have some hard earned money float in the bank account are exempt from cost helping packages or money making solar panels, and are going to get their bank accounts siphoned out on Direct Debit to pay for everyone including those who can't or won't be paying a dine.

This diabolical dilemma is a perfect example of why energy should be re-nationalised and stay that way.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

https://en.tripadvisor.com.hk/ShowUserR ... mandy.html

https://www.thelocal.fr/20220618/swimmi ... amination/

I have visited 45 countries and have had food poisoning 4 times. Once in Calais, once in Honfleur, once in Locquirec and once in Sancerre. Dont tell me France is a hygenic place, it isnt in my experience.

Every country has these problems now and again when drainage systems get overwhelmed. Its in no way acceptable.

If we want to see a doctor face to face we can. And since moving to the West Country we find the NHS fantastic in contrast to Oxfordshire where it was crap. It obviously varies particularly where NHS staff cant afford or dont want to live.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Certainly not the experience of people I know in the UK. Long waits to get an appointment with the doctor or a consultant
I don't think the hygiene of the British was mentioned. You've mentioned food poisoning before and I've said I've never had it in over 25 years visiting and living in France. I've known many French who have and it's usually after eating shellfish.
Yes, I'm sure France has an occasional sewage discharge but the system here is different. Rainwater gets separated from the sewage and you're in trouble if you are found to be running your down pipes from the gutters into the sewage drains.
It doesn't take much googling to see how many sewage discharges the UK water companies are putting into the rivers each month
Not an occasional problem at all. Just another example of companies hoping to get away with it, almost the norm for many UK businesses.
Online gambling being the one in today's news.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

What does food poisoning have to do with fuel prices?
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

Debs wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 11:39am
This is change from the contract with the energy company tariff system to implicate a kind of energy tax on people who are able to pay. It would seem the disaster capitalist economists and scam masters in the Tory Cabal are focused on looking at where the money is and letting the robber barrens of the energy companies gleefully grab it. If your are too poor to pay you won't be able to, if you are wealthy enough to afford a roof of solar panels then you can make big bucks money selling power back to the grid, but the mostly peoples in-between, those who have some hard earned money float in the bank account are exempt from cost helping packages or money making solar panels, and are going to get their bank accounts siphoned out on Direct Debit to pay for everyone including those who can't or won't be paying a dine.

This diabolical dilemma is a perfect example of why energy should be re-nationalised and stay that way.

I agree and the way the standing charges doubled a little while ago should not have been allowed to happen, it simply skews the situation more in favour of heavier consumers.

The 'big bucks' are paid to those who invested very early on, when solar panels were so expensive that it made no financial sense to buy them. There was a very short window of opportunity when their price fell and feed in tariffs were still high, now the amount paid is negligible for domestic supplies.

Good money existed for a long time (think it has recently ended) for people living off the gas grid who wanted to heat their homes using 'renewable' fuel, I know of someone who expects their payments to form a significant part of their pension, when they get there. The more they consume, the more they are paid. We're all paying for those who took up the "Renewable Heat Incentive", whether or not there continues to be a 'green' levy on our fuel bills.

While government should be helping incentivise technologies which benefit us all, burning processed wood pellets is open to all sorts of questions as is the fact that the scheme favoured those living in relative isolation in larger properties.

None of this should put off people with practical abilities from doing their own thing and running appliances from a solar PV circuit, heating water with solar and there are plenty who have plumbed toilets to flush with rainwater, not because it saves loads of money but because it pleases them. I don't know how close the return on investment in PV comes to today's grid prices for solar heating and PV, it certainly hasn't made economic sense before now. I could be very tempted to leave the electricity grid if prices continue to go up, but purchase of an EV could likely mean a return unless an old diesel generator, soundproof shed and a supply of used veg oil were sorted.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

The pandemic tested the NHS but the adverse comment I hear most is the lack of NHS dentists. Few GPs seem to work full time which leads one to think they are being overpaid. One useless GP we encountered in Oxfordshire took a 6 month sabatical during the height of the pandemic...unbelievable.

Yes, my house mixes surface water with sewerage, its not an ideal system and its very common

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

al_yrpal wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 1:57pm The pandemic tested the NHS but the adverse comment I hear most is the lack of NHS dentists. Few GPs seem to work full time which leads one to think they are being overpaid. One useless GP we encountered in Oxfordshire took a 6 month sabatical during the height of the pandemic...unbelievable.

Yes, my house mixes surface water with sewerage, its not an ideal system and its very common

Al
There is a severe shortage of GPs and many are leaving the profession.

Your conclusion that they should be paid less seems somewhat quixotic.

What this has to do with fuel is of course also mysterious.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 1:32pm What does food poisoning have to do with fuel prices?
Al likes to whatabout, to distract from the subject matter under discussion when it gives him the squirms. If the subject is composed largely of dismay concerning the awful condition of many British services, institutions and infrastructures, especially those now privatised, he will try to distract with a tale of "bad foreigners who are worse".

For one who feels that old-fashioned patriotism containing large elements of nationalism along with a bit of the jingo, the current parlous state of The State must strike at the very core of identity. Habitually thinking of Britain as Great will set off an enormous BONG! of cognitive dissonance when the patriot observes the many & various destructive antics of our current not-government.

In truth I often have a feeling of dismay, embarrassment, loss, guilt and all the rest myself when I observe how far this country of "ours" (well, theirs) has fallen. And then there's the constant revelations of evil deeds committed in "our" name throughout our history, doubly hurtful for we Boomers who were raised post WWII with the notion that we were the righteous ones, squashing the evil ones all on our ownsome, to make a better world.

But no amount of whataboutery, especially of the "a bad thing happened to me at the hands of Johnny Foreigner", can cover over the rot that's got into the very fabric and framework of Britain. Al knows this, really.

Cugel, another disappointed British subject (we're not really citizens anymore, eh).
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes