Fuel prices

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cugel

Re: Fuel prices

Post by Cugel »

al_yrpal wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 4:01pm (snip)
Some of us arent rotting we live in the hope that efforts are being made to make things better.
(snip)

Al..in Al's world, bathed in optimism!
What are the "efforts ...being made to make things better"? Many are now desperate for such efforts and even more so for resultant "things better".

There are so many "things" very obviously - objectively - a lot, lot worse today than they were just a couple of years ago ... and getting increasingly worse by the day. Can you give a list of things that are getting better, particularly those things that have been bettered by the current "government", by Brexit or by any other of your favoured policies or parties?

I'm quite serious in asking as if such better things are in fact evolving it would be a genuine relief to know about them.

Hopefully you'll avoid regurgitating suspect newspap nonsense, whether from the Groaniad, The Hate Mail or any of the other PR organs for various vested interests.

Cugel, suspicious of Dr Pangloss for good reasons.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Told you, "living in hope". One thing, new Moderna vaccine for us oldsters. Bringing those temporary Nightingale hospitals back into use to help tackle the NHS backlog.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

One small good thing about high petrol prices.Trains are empty and need passengers.Just like the Americans moved from their beautiful large gas guzzlers like the Ionic old Jeep Wagoneer .In the 70's they were forced to change to small cars.Cause high fuel prices.
We have to many super sized big SUV'S
I ride Brompton and a 100% British Vintage
rjb

Post by rjb »

briansnail wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 7:48pm One small good thing about high petrol prices.Trains are empty and need passengers.Just like the Americans moved from their beautiful large gas guzzlers like the Ionic old Jeep Wagoneer .In the 70's they were forced to change to small cars.Cause high fuel prices.
We have to many super sized big SUV'S
I ride Brompton and a 100% British Vintage
And they imposed a 50 mph speed limit in the states. Pity they haven't done that here now.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 7:14pm Told you, "living in hope". One thing, new Moderna vaccine for us oldsters. Bringing those temporary Nightingale hospitals back into use to help tackle the NHS backlog.

Al
Whilst I agree with you about vaccines,those nightingale hospitals are useless,as they were duringnthe first wave of Covid,without doctors,nurses and auxiliary staff,a shortage due to poor pay and conditions.

Earlier this week I read that 34 hospitals are in danger of their roofs collapsing in on patients due to 1980's poor building practices and needing temporary proping in wards where people are being treated,two of which IIRC are in Liz Truss' constituency.

I don't think people are aware of just how bad the situation is in the NHS,it's hanging on with it's finger nails with burned out staff due to over work due to short staffing,people are leaving in their droves because they simply can't live on NHS salary or stand the pressure they're being forced to work under due initially to Covid and 12 years of an austerity regeme designed to run the NHS down to the ground and usher in private health care,which will cost us all dearly in the long run.
As for health care of the old,infirm and mentally ill,it's appalling.

EDITED for clarity
Last edited by reohn2 on 18 Aug 2022, 8:22am, edited 3 times in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I'd missed the news about Nightingale hospitals. Presumably they have found the doctors and nurses to staff them.
Of course it could be another example of gesture politics, we've had rather a lot of this.
What happened to the AZ vaccine. After heralding the launch it's not mentioned? Were the side effects too difficult to change?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Another word on healthcare,£40 billion was wasted on a track and trace system that never worked and contracts for Tory party donors for PPE that were useless and so had to be disposed of!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Apparently they are not devoloping the AZ vaccine further. Moderna and Pfizer are.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

That's a shame, the more companies that are developing new vaccines against Covid can only be a good thing.
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

reohn2 wrote: 18 Aug 2022, 8:16am
al_yrpal wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 7:14pm Told you, "living in hope". One thing, new Moderna vaccine for us oldsters. Bringing those temporary Nightingale hospitals back into use to help tackle the NHS backlog.

Al
Whilst I agree with you about vaccines,those nightingale hospitals are useless,as they were duringnthe first wave of Covid,without doctors,nurses and auxiliary staff,a shortage due to poor pay and conditions.

I don't think people are aware of just how bad the situation is in the NHS,it's hanging on with it's finger nails with burned out staff due to over work due to short staffing,people are leaving in their droves

This is so true, the general public do not realise quite how bad a state our healthcare is in. From personal observations and chatting with nurses and paramedics, plus one or two doctors, things are really bad. Too much poor management, too few people on the shop floor and relations between the two sound to be less than good. The lowish pay is clearly a factor, hugely so where housing is excessively expensive, but for many I suspect the poor working conditions are at least as much of the problem.

Recent Secretaries of State have proved poor also, threatening to sack tens of thousands over compliance then rowing back on this at the last minute for some but not others. Wasn't Javid a City banker? Germany has almost four times as many beds as we do, it costs around one third more. I do wonder if the NHS isn't like a supertanker which has lost its rudder, no matter how many tugs are connected up, its course can barely be changed without another huge vessel pulling it around.

Regaring the pop-up hospitals, the data from the Diamond Princess cruise ship (March 2020, suggesting the case mortality risk of the original Wuhan strain to be just under 2% in its generally older/elderly First World passengers) gave an insight into what could be expected as the disease spread around the country. So that even with only limited isolation (the Diamond Princess had air recirculating between cabins, staff continued to come into contact with passengers even after people were isolated to their cabins) I'd be surprised if the Government was being advised there was much of a chance they'd be needed for dying patients spilling over from existing hospitals, to be tended by emergency (vets, military) nursing.

Given this and the lack of trained staff, why build them at all? Firstly it was likely to be judged good for public morale and Government popularity, secondly a useful exercise to see how quickly and effectively such things could be built. After all, we're being warned there's another pandemic on its way.
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

al_yrpal wrote: 18 Aug 2022, 9:11am Apparently they are not devoloping the AZ vaccine further. Moderna and Pfizer are.

Al
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... id-vaccine
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

al_yrpal wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 5:44pm I thought better of our neighbours. I am glad we arent being as petty as them.
Blame,blame ,blame,deny,deny,deny.
By being petty do you mean actually treating us as a third country.....as championed by a previous Tory PM?
You really need to take the blinkers off.Typical Tory who refuses to accept that we have brought all this on ourselves,well those of us who didn't understand what it actually meant(project fear ring any bells Al?),and we have to deal with this massive mistake.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Biospace wrote: 18 Aug 2022, 12:12pm
Regaring the pop-up hospitals, the data from the Diamond Princess cruise ship (March 2020, suggesting the case mortality risk of the original Wuhan strain to be just under 2% in its generally older/elderly First World passengers) gave an insight into what could be expected as the disease spread around the country. So that even with only limited isolation (the Diamond Princess had air recirculating between cabins, staff continued to come into contact with passengers even after people were isolated to their cabins) I'd be surprised if the Government was being advised there was much of a chance they'd be needed for dying patients spilling over from existing hospitals, to be tended by emergency (vets, military) nursing.

Never heard that at the time. I suppose it makes sense but were they seriously considering getting vets to treat people.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

pete75 wrote: 18 Aug 2022, 4:37pm
Biospace wrote: 18 Aug 2022, 12:12pm

Never heard that at the time. I suppose it makes sense but were they seriously considering getting vets to treat people.

It would be the logical choice. You'd need to google to see if this was a proposal which became public knowledge.
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

Further to the above, see https://www.vettimes.co.uk/news/thousan ... -nhs-duty/ and https://www.itv.com/news/2021-01-19/cov ... volunteers

More on topic, the long wait for forecourt prices to fall continues - the rocket and feather effect is working well for the oil businesses. Will road fuel ever go below £7 a gallon (£1.54/l) again?

WTI crude.png
WTI crude.png (31.84 KiB) Viewed 316 times