Fuel prices

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Biospace

Re: Fuel prices

Post by Biospace »

reohn2 wrote: 14 Aug 2022, 8:49pm
al_yrpal wrote: 14 Aug 2022, 5:43pm Man with a hardware shop on The News said his sales of fans gas gone down from 10 a day to 3 a day. He says its because of people worried about electricity costs! Looked at our vertical tangential fan that keeps our bedroom comfy at night.....45w ...360w for a nightimes comfort = 10p!

Al
Yeah but,if you're struggling to make ends meet due to this government's total and complete mismangement of the country you won't be in a position to buy and run one and there's a lot of working people in that position.
First there's the initial outlay for the fan itself,£30+, a big chunk of a weekly budget,then the cost of running it with elec costs rising almost daily and,logically,the hot weather won't last forever(check the forecast).It doesn't surprise me people struggling to balance the books ever week are unable to buy a fan to use at most for a week or two a year.

I bought a pair of USB powered fans last year for less than £8 each. They're very effective even ignoring the <3W power consumption, it's made me question whether any fan for personal use consuming more than 15W is really necessary.

Here's something similar, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334007533081
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

They're very effective even ignoring the <3W power consumption, it's made me question whether any fan for personal use consuming more than 15W is really necessary.
I think it revolves (hoho) around how hard they have to work. My west-facing flat gets v. hot although the rooms are smallish. Small, low energy fans just don't move enough air around to make a difference, whereas if close by and adjusted so that the air stream is topical, they do have a positive effect.
The fans that have enough ooomph to site towards the edge of the room are more in the 30-50w region.
Countries traditionally hotter than we have been used to, like India, middle-east, southern states of US, seem to have always used ceiling fans... at least up until ac came available - I wonder if they'll become popular over here.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

A very small fan can be very effective directed at your face. They are very common in India for drivers I noticed, also small handheld battery driven fans too. Lets face it cooling fans are hardly ever needed in our climate. Lets hope we have seen the back of roasting weather for a bit.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

While we're on the subject of trumpets, can I just mention my half-day a week sessions at the local food share project? ;-)
I only mention it 'cos after 20 years of sitting behind a desk, pushing a mouse around, I'm finding quite taxing... last week I loaded three quarters of a ton of food onto the van and then unloaded it all over again to pass on to the customers. Gosh - watch my muscles grow!! At my age !!!
And while I'm moaning, I can tell you innocent folk what have never pushed a dolly of food crates down a stony path before, that the size of stone that it takes to jam one wheel and threaten to tip the whole lot over its centre of gravity is surprisingly small... !! :lol:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

You're dead right I'm angry and unhappy,at the way my country of birth is being run into the ground by people only interested in self and the rich who finance their evil party,and who's raison d'etre is to favour themselves and their financiers over the people who make this country rich and great!

Edited for clarity
Last edited by reohn2 on 15 Aug 2022, 10:44pm, edited 2 times in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pete75

Post by pete75 »

reohn2 wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 8:28pm
you're dead right I'm angry,at the way the country is being run by people only interested in self and the rich who finance their evil party and who's raison d'etre is to favour them over the people that make this country rich and great!
And so should anyone be who has concerns about the plight of poorer people here. Inflation may be an overall 13% in a few months time but the stuff less well off people must spend much of their income on will have inflated by a lot more than 13%.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pete75 wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 9:37pm
reohn2 wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 8:28pm

As for being angry,you're dead right I'm angry,at the way the country is being run by people only interested in self and the rich who finance their evil party and who's raison d'etre is to favour them over the people that make this country rich and great!
And so should anyone be who has concerns about the plight of poorer people here. Inflation may be an overall 13% in a few months time but the stuff less well off people must spend much of their income on will have inflated by a lot more than 13%.
Quite right,though the better off seem content in having the gap between rich and poor widen to an ever deeping chasm and an(ever growing) element of ordinary working people needing to rely on charity to put food on the table,whilst energy company profits quadruple in a financial quarter as their shareholders get fat of those profits.
There couldn't be a more graphic illustration of an unequal society run and created by and a rag bag government of self interested people financed by millionaires,billionaires and those same companies,along with Russian oligarchs and media moguls who don't even live here let alone pay their fair share of taxes here or anwhere else FTM.

The country's situation is dire as a result of the above,add to that the abject lunacy of a type of Brexit financed and promoted by those same disgusting people,that's strangling the country slowly to death as companies find it every harder to export to their nearest markets made even worse by the worst bumbling idiotic UK PM in history,shortly to be followed by a mad idiotic woman,or a multimillionaire ex hedge fund manager and banker,both of who's claims to fame were to be part of the clown of Downing St's disasterous government and to dance to his discordant illegal tune,only to stab him in the back when the time was right!
And the likes of Al_yrpal wonder why I and millions more like me are angry and unhappy,sheesh how can anyone with a beating heart be happy at the state of the country and who's running it?
I wonder where their investments are?..........

EDIT:- and whilst all that luncay,lying and cheating of the UK public continues there'll be those breathing a sigh of relief that petrol prices are down to £1.67ish a litre.
They'll be the fools who don't realise they've been robbed by government and energy companies alike and will continue to be robbed as long they now think fuel prices are lower........
W H Auden
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Bickering and mudslinging removed. Please argue nicely.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Vorpal wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 10:27am Bickering and mudslinging removed. Please argue nicely.
Thanks,I for one will.
W H Auden
rjb

Post by rjb »

simonineaston wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 4:55pm While we're on the subject of trumpets, can I just mention my half-day a week sessions at the local food share project? ;-)
I only mention it 'cos after 20 years of sitting behind a desk, pushing a mouse around, I'm finding quite taxing... last week I loaded three quarters of a ton of food onto the van and then unloaded it all over again to pass on to the customers. Gosh - watch my muscles grow!! At my age !!!
And while I'm moaning, I can tell you innocent folk what have never pushed a dolly of food crates down a stony path before, that the size of stone that it takes to jam one wheel and threaten to tip the whole lot over its centre of gravity is surprisingly small... !! :lol:
First job at 16 during the school hols was at Bowyer's pie factory in Plymouth. After mincing up several pallets of pork I was pushing the loaded dolly back to the pie processing line when a wheel caught in a drain cover and the whole lot tipped over. The manager sent the whole batch to be reprocessed into tinned pies so they would be cooked at a higher temp. I expected to be sacked but they took me on again for the next 2 summers. Nice little earner at the time, and having seen what went in em I've never eaten a pork pie again. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

When I was a butchers delivery boy they overloaded my basket on the bike. When I got off on a hill the bike tipped forward tipping all the sunday joints on the road. Many of the labels on the meat came off so I reloaded the basket and stuck them back on....evidently in the wrong places. When I got back to the shop there had been several telephone complaints because instead of beef some had pork or lamb, or a chicken. It remained a mystery to my boss who had stuck the labels on without a pin to hold them in place. I did get the road grit off though and no one died as far as I know :lol:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
mjr

Post by mjr »

al_yrpal wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 1:27pm I am not! We are well aware of how people are struggling and we are trying our best to help.

Alfies problem for some years has been the arrival in the town of Home Bargains. He does undercut Aldi though. Anyway, he's a trader and I believe he wont stop til he drops.
Does he sell fuel? I'm struggling to see the topicality of Alfie here.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

the whole lot tipped over. / tipping all the sunday joints on the road.
I feel your pain! Bad enough at sixteen, but at my age I feel I should have known better... :lol:
S
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Here's one business that will not be staying in the Uk because they can't afford to thanks to the sheer lack of support from government on energy costs on top of the cost of Brexit export costs and hoops that need jumping through as a result.
A thousand redundancies,thanks a total lack of help or any promise of it from PM Johnson(currently on holiday in Greece),Sunak and Truss:- https://youtu.be/xXzQ9g2qwsw
W H Auden
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

reohn2 wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 4:54pm Here's one business that will not be staying in the Uk because they can't afford to thanks to the sheer lack of support from government on energy costs on top of the cost of Brexit export costs and hoops that need jumping through as a result.
A thousand redundancies,thanks a total lack of help or any promise of it from PM Johnson(currently on holiday in Greece),Sunak and Truss:- https://youtu.be/xXzQ9g2qwsw

The lockdowns had a devastating effect on many smaller businesses, as well as people's health.

We're in a different sort of mess from Germany, energy-wise, because there's been a quarter century of little or no long term energy policy. Both Labour and Conservative parties share the blame for this.

I'm still wondering why forecourt prices are so high when

August 2022 crude $89
June 2008 crude $187 - £1.04 at the pump.