Fuel prices

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Pebble

Re: Fuel prices

Post by Pebble »

pete75 wrote: 9 Aug 2022, 4:16pm
Pebble wrote: 9 Aug 2022, 4:06pm
pete75 wrote: 8 Aug 2022, 6:31pm

Well a friend of mine uses a Ford Dexter bought new by his grandfather in 1962 for light jobs on the farm. He likes it because no enclosed cab so delightful to use in half decent weather.
modern day farming is incredibly intensive and massive machines, the bigger the better is the order of the day. Modern combines can be producing 70 to 120 ton of grain per hour, you need three tractors and trailers the size of articulated lorries to keep up. There's a lot of people to feed
Not all jobs on the farm need a 300HP tractor.
I would imagine the barley barons in these parts would disagree.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Mick F wrote: 8 Aug 2022, 4:10pm Off topic eh? :lol: :lol:

Sheep - livestock in general - produce methane etc which is bad?

Herds of cows are major contributors to greenhouse effect as is our desire for meat.
Not that I'm a latent veggie, far from it at all.
This makes sense to me.
You can’t say the same for burning fossil fuels.
methane doesn’t hang around for a century; it’s a short-lived GHG. In about a decade’s time, it’s converted to water vapor and carbon dioxide, which is part of the cycle whereby plants take CO2 out of the atmosphere and convert it into feed via photosynthesis. Animals eat the non-human edible vegetation and upcycle it to meat and dairy products that provide efficient sources of protein and other essential nutrients to humans. It’s a cyclical process, also referred to as the biogenic carbon cycle, that’s been around as long as life itself.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Pebble wrote: 9 Aug 2022, 4:27pm
Pebble wrote: 9 Aug 2022, 4:06pm
modern day farming is incredibly intensive and massive machines, the bigger the better is the order of the day. Modern combines can be producing 70 to 120 ton of grain per hour, you need three tractors and trailers the size of articulated lorries to keep up. There's a lot of people to feed
Somehow I doubt that.
Anyhow if they're growing Barley it ain't for that lot of people to feed you mention. Some will go for malting but most for animal feed and very little for people food.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

pete75 wrote: 9 Aug 2022, 5:03pm

Somehow I doubt that.
Anyhow if they're growing Barley it ain't for that lot of people to feed you mention. Some will go for malting but most for animal feed and very little for people food.
on what grounds ?

Barley baron is a phrase used, but more accurately i'm in the midst of a massive cereal and rape growing area, some potatoes and Peas and some intensive grass production for dairy, but mainly its wheat country. Probably the richest farming area in scotland, the-merse is equal to the fens for deep rich soils. I havn't seen a working tractor much smaller than a house any where in this parish, for a long time.
hemo

Post by hemo »

Last time I filled my car was back in Feb when the diesel price was god no's what, £1.30 ? I filled it and a 10ltr fuel can as I made a 400mile round journey to pick up a cargo bike. SInce then the last time I noticed fuel prices, it was about £1.90 ish (I drive P/T for a supermarket and yet despite drivng a 3.5t van three nights a week, I never look at the fuel prices).
My car I filled up in Feb, I used nearly 1/2 the tank for my 400 mile journey and it still has 3/8 tank of fuel and the 10ltrs in standby.
Since that journey it has done two trips to the tip and four to the vets, mainly my 16 y/o car sits on the driveway, for me living on the outer skirts of a large town means nearly everything is within easy walk or better still a cycle ride to get to. So for townies it is more then feasible to go carless, my wife will never let the car go so I can cadge off her in the future if push comes to a shove.

For all my other trips I cycle every where, to work I use my gravle bike or my Roadrat, for shopping I use tthe Roadrat with two 27ltr panniers ample for a bout £50 of groceries. For big shops I hook up the modified Y large CF trailer with a large container on the back, for my beekeeping all my kit transporation goes on the CF which I have loaded up to about 200lbs in weight and use the Kona Ute for towing the 5.5 miles each way along the old rail way route. Locally I use the Roadrat with the CF.

I'm all fairly well prepared for going carless and that day will come when my car is no longer viable.due to cost or repairs.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Seeing as there's been a bit of thread drift hereabouts,have a listen(3minutes)and weep :- https://youtu.be/IUiJxH2pclM
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

No weeping from me about leaving, other than weeping about joining them in the first place.
............ but all I'm doing is repeating myself. :wink:

What did I hear on the news this afternoon?
Energy bills for the "average household" going up to £4,000 a year?
Defined as gas and electricity.

Don't make me laugh.

Who are these "average household" people and where do they live?
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 9 Aug 2022, 7:25pmWhat did I hear on the news this afternoon?

Don't make me laugh.

That isn't what average means. There isn't an average household so they don't live anywhere. There's an average expenditure across all households.

The official figures are calculated by the Office for National Statistics. Here's the most recent set:
"Family spending in the UK: April 2020 to March 2021":
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... omarch2021

Of course the expenditure has gone up dramatically since that set was published.

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just surfed the BBC website.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62475171
Energy bills forecast to hit over £4,200 a year

Energy bills for a typical household could hit £4,266 next year, consultancy Cornwall Insight has warned.
The higher estimate means the average household would be paying £355 a month, instead of £164 a month currently.
Four Grand a year for gas and lecky, and where do they live? :shock:
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 9 Aug 2022, 7:58pm Just surfed the BBC website.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62475171
Energy bills forecast to hit over £4,200 a year

Energy bills for a typical household could hit £4,266 next year, consultancy Cornwall Insight has warned.
The higher estimate means the average household would be paying £355 a month, instead of £164 a month currently.
Four Grand a year for gas and lecky, and where do they live?
The primary source for that reporting is probably Cornwall Insight:
"Price cap forecasts for January rise to over £4,200 as wholesale prices surge again and Ofgem revises cap methodology"
https://www.cornwall-insight.com/price- ... thodology/

That includes their method of calculation.

Jonathan
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Barley baron is a phrase used, but more accurately i'm in the midst of a massive cereal and rape growing area, some potatoes and Peas and some intensive grass production for dairy, but mainly its wheat country. Probably the richest farming area in scotland, the-merse is equal to the fens for deep rich soils. I havn't seen a working tractor much smaller than a house any where in this parish, for a long time.
I live in Lincolnshire near the most intensively farmed arable areas in the UK but I've never seen a tractor anywhere near the size of a house. What the hell are they running up there?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Profound changes are afoot.
What's different this time is that up 'till now, the planet has always been on our side...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

pete75 wrote: 9 Aug 2022, 8:05pm

I live in Lincolnshire near the most intensively farmed arable areas in the UK but I've never seen a tractor anywhere near the size of a house. What the hell are they running up there?
may be we just have little houses up ere in the north.

anyway, just for you, some tractors from toights ride captured on the dashcam

the middle one was unusual, it appeared to be driven by a 14 year old schoolgirl, not that is in anyway unusual, but she wasn't playing with a mobile phone, not often you see a teenager driving a tractor and trailer withot a mobile phone in hand!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote: 9 Aug 2022, 7:25pm No weeping from me about leaving, other than weeping about joining them in the first place.
............ but all I'm doing is repeating myself. :wink: ......
You didn't want to join,but we did.You did want to leave and we did.
Now the country is in deep dodah,mainly due to leaving,or more precisely the way in which we left thanks to Johnson's deal.

As for the gas and electric costs,myself and MrsR2 live in a 2 bedroom house,our gas and elec is currently £170 per month( moved to Shell,due to our energy company going bust),£170 x 12 = £2040 if it doubles as predicted that's £4080,I know I'm being ripped off but there's very little,short of revolution,I can do about it!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

Mick F wrote: 9 Aug 2022, 7:25pm No weeping from me about leaving, other than weeping about joining them in the first place.
............ but all I'm doing is repeating myself. :wink:

What did I hear on the news this afternoon?

Don't make me laugh.

The message I take from it, Mick, is that whatever you are used to paying, it will be triple or more.