Fuel prices

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
rjb

Re: Fuel prices

Post by rjb »

Lots of "fuel" in these monsters if you can cope with the smell. Clothes pegs to hand. it's rural smelly time again. :lol:
Last edited by rjb on 10 Aug 2022, 7:33pm, edited 3 times in total.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

pwa wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 6:07am The message I take from it, Mick, is that whatever you are used to paying, it will be triple or more.
I did a bit of arithmetic regarding the cost of our lecky this year.
We have a key-meter for it, and looking up what we've paid so far since Jan 1st, and I find out that we pay £660 a year.
No gas, but we do most of our cooking and hot water from coal. Not lit at the mo, so it's the lecky cooker being used.

I have to work out how much per bag and how many we get through in the year and find an annual cost.

Also, the cost of petrol and my efforts in cutting trees and logging them up. We can offset quite a bit of lecky use by lighting the woodburner (back boiler) for hot water rather than the lecky immersion heater.

There is no way that our bills will come anywhere near £4,200 pa.
I can only assume that it's GAS that's going to sky-rocket.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 8:58amI can only assume that it's GAS that's going to sky-rocket.
The revised price cap and the predicted price increases are for both gas and electricity.

Jonathan

PS: About 35% of the UK's electricity is generated using gas.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrici ... Generation

pete75

Post by pete75 »

Pebble wrote: 9 Aug 2022, 11:27pm
the middle one was unusual, it appeared to be driven by a 14 year old schoolgirl, not that is in anyway unusual, but she wasn't playing with a mobile phone, not often you see a teenager driving a tractor and trailer withot a mobile phone in hand!
The tractor in the first picture is nowhere near as big as any of the houses. It just looks like it because of foreshortening.

A 16 year old can drive a tractor if they pass a tractor test. It takes about 20 minutes. A 17 year old with a provisional licence can, unserpervised, drive any tractor on the road as long as it's not a crawler. Nobody used to bother about that either. I can remember driving a TD18 like this on the road when I was 17. I say on the road but you'd try and keep them on the verge as much as possible. The tracks don't do the road surface a lot of good.

'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Half the French nukes are out of action with cracked pipes, they are importing electricity from all neighbours including us and EDF is tottering.

We are working out our fuel budget, ordering logs and smokeless fuel early because we guess they will go up substantially as winter progresses.

Topped up petrol this morning £1.67.5 per ltr.

I have a couple of old friends with modern eco homes and they both say that they paid up front for the low energy costs they enjoy. They both face problems finding a cool place in their houses because although the houses warm up slowly they also cool down very slowly. No such problems here with 11 foot ceilings and sliding sashes.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
peetee

Post by peetee »

al_yrpal wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 11:38am They both face problems finding a cool place in their houses because although the houses warm up slowly they also cool down very slowly. No such problems here with 11 foot ceilings and sliding sashes.

Al
My whitewashed place has granite and limestone walls nearly 2ft thick so in the main part of the house it’s nicely cool. The extension on the back, however, is modern block with a flat roof so the bathroom and 3rd bedroom are rather difficult to occupy when the sun comes round in the afternoon.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Maybe the UK should buy Norwegian electricity from Sweden? :lol: :lol:
https://thedailyreformer.com/europenews ... to-norway/
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

pete75 wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 10:52am
Pebble wrote: 9 Aug 2022, 11:27pm
the middle one was unusual, it appeared to be driven by a 14 year old schoolgirl, not that is in anyway unusual, but she wasn't playing with a mobile phone, not often you see a teenager driving a tractor and trailer withot a mobile phone in hand!
The tractor in the first picture is nowhere near as big as any of the houses. It just looks like it because of foreshortening.
you do seem to have a bee in your bonnet on this don't you! My original comment of tractors being nearly as big as houses was a tongue in cheek comment and I woud imagine most woud have understood my exageration

However, and just playing here (so please don't take it too seriously)
Fast Tracs (that yellow tractor) about 5m in lenghth
it was pulling a full size tri axle flat bed (ex haulage) trailer so 13.5m
and it was pulling it on a dolly (add at least another 1.5m)

overall Length approx 20 meters (would be totally illegal for a haulier but rules for farmers is in a parallel universe)
and width 2.55m ?

giving a footprint of 51 sq meters

average house built in UK since 2010 = 67.8 sq meters
so if the average is 67.8 there will be plenty not much bigger than an agric tractor and trailer on harvest duties
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I get a lot of fictitious malware warnings at that address.

Jonathan
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Mick F wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 8:58am
There is no way that our bills will come anywhere near £4,200 pa.
I
+ 1. I only put the heating on for two ten minute spells around Christmas last year and a few 1 minute bursts January - February to make sure the pipes didn't freeze. It's possible the bill may triple this year and who know's, perhaps it'll be £90 over the winter :shock:.

It's rather like my petrol and/or diesel bills, they've totalled £0.00 per annum for a few years now.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

gbnz wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 4:18pm , perhaps it'll be £90 over the winter :shock:.
Well, it's shocking, with the increase in gas costs my energy supplier have advised me are likely to apply this autumn, I could be spending £16.01 each month on gas :shock: . That means my heating costs this winter, could total an astonishing £96.06 over a six month period.

It's astonishing that a Tory Government are expecting us to find sums of that size, to pay for heating our own homes :shock: :
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

pete75 wrote: 8 Aug 2022, 6:31pm Well a friend of mine uses a Ford Dexter bought new by his grandfather in 1962 for light jobs on the farm. He likes it because no enclosed cab so delightful to use in half decent weather.
Pebble wrote: 9 Aug 2022, 4:06pm modern day farming is incredibly intensive and massive machines, the bigger the better is the order of the day. Modern combines can be producing 70 to 120 ton of grain per hour, you need three tractors and trailers the size of articulated lorries to keep up. There's a lot of people to feed

Modern agriculture is incredibly energy intensive but Is this current approach sustainable? The indications are that it is not.

I can't find the link for this little snippet which has stayed in my mind, that in the 1950s ~3 units of energy in were required for 1 unit of food energy out of the agricultural system. Today it's over 10:1.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Heard on R4 earlier ............... PM, or was it the 6 o'clock news?
Lady on, saying that she is paying £150 a month just on gas.

What the heck does she do with it?
Mick F. Cornwall
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

Mick F wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 6:44pm Heard on R4 earlier ............... PM, or was it the 6 o'clock news?
That's probably what our dual costs break down to,currently £240pm.I would assume Gas is more than half that.
We heat water and cook with it.The heating hasn't been on for at least a month.Our shower is heated directly from the boiler and my son is in there for about 20 mins twice a day :lol:
rjb

Post by rjb »

Mick F wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 6:44pm Heard on R4 earlier ............... PM, or was it the 6 o'clock news?

It's probably averaged over the year so she possibly spends just the standing charge now and builds up a credit to offset her winter use. It's possibly not enough with the predicted increase. :(

Joe public just goes along with what their provider suggests. Most don't have a clue of how to measure their consumption so don't understand how to reduce it or prioritise it's use. :(

And like most parents know the biggest saving can be made by chucking the kids out. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D