Fuel prices

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
simonineaston

Re: Fuel prices

Post by simonineaston »

You can't look at the abbatoir, food safety regs mean they won't let you in.
I just watched a b&w French documentary film from the '40s, called Le Sange des Betes, which gives a very clear view of the killing and dismembering of horses, cows, calves and sheep.
Back then, it appears that the smaller animals at least were killed by slicing through their throats and at the same time, the rest of whatever's in the neck - no stunning. But it's evident that loss of consciousness is almost instantaneous, due in main to a complete and sudden drop in blood pressure, I imagine. Given a skilled and experienced worker, I can't really see any 'benefit' in stunning first... The bigger animals seemed to have got 'the luxury' of a captive bolt or pole axe, due I imagine to their size making a swift decapitation near impossible.
As the director points out, "If it were in colour, it'd be repulsive... the sensation people get would be physical one."
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

simonineaston wrote: 8 Aug 2022, 10:04am What you need, Mick, is goats !
Sheep?

IMG_0287.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonineaston wrote: 8 Aug 2022, 3:18pm
You can't look at the abbatoir, food safety regs mean they won't let you in.
I just watched a b&w French documentary film from the '40s, called Le Sange des Betes, which gives a very clear view of the killing and dismembering of horses, cows, calves and sheep.
New Scientist review of Cow:
https://zephr.newscientist.com/article/ ... f-farming/

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Sheep?
That'll do it!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

rjb wrote: 8 Aug 2022, 12:42pm Fit some PV solar panels and divert the excess electric into the immersion tank. I have read that heating to a higher temp is more efficient than a lower temp as it reduces the lag time when the boiler is firing up and burning gas before it starts heating. :wink:

If we're thinking about water heating efficiencies, the higher the temperature of a DHW tank, the greater the storage losses and the more often a boiler will fire up to maintain the temperature. Water stored at a lower temperature will trigger the boiler less often, but require a shorter heating cycle. An over-specced boiler may run for a very short time in this situation, which may or may not be a problem.

Modern (condensing) boilers run most efficiently when the central heating temperature is set below 60C.

Excessive boiler cycling can be a problem supplying a low temperature system like underfloor heating, which means less boiler efficiency, especially with oil. But raising the ufh temperature reduces the efficiency of that.

A good boiler (eg Viessmann) will have a high modulation ratio which allows it to cope well with lower temperature demands and reduce excessive cycling problems.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

simonineaston wrote: 8 Aug 2022, 3:45pm
Sheep?
That'll do it!
Off topic eh? :lol: :lol:

Sheep - livestock in general - produce methane etc which is bad?

Herds of cows are major contributors to greenhouse effect as is our desire for meat.
Not that I'm a latent veggie, far from it at all.
Mick F. Cornwall
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

pete75 wrote: 8 Aug 2022, 2:20pm
I hope your mate is taking account of the extra hours he'll have to pay one of his farm labourers to look after the nag.
He says he's worked out the costs and reckons they're similar or less to using an existing large, modern tractor (or purchasing a small new one just for this purpose) idling about in a farmyard moving things around, lifiting bales etc - this was before fuel prices went up.

As I said, I've suggested a 60s tractor would work better than either.
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

Mick F wrote: 8 Aug 2022, 4:10pm
simonineaston wrote: 8 Aug 2022, 3:45pm
Sheep?
That'll do it!
Off topic eh? :lol: :lol:

Sheep - livestock in general - produce methane etc which is bad?

Herds of cows are major contributors to greenhouse effect as is our desire for meat.
Not that I'm a latent veggie, far from it at all.

Makes you wonder how killing the estimated 30-60 million bison roaming North America through the 1800s didn't cause a lasting cooling event, if animals per se are so dangerous to our climate?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Biospace wrote: 8 Aug 2022, 4:23pm
I hope your mate is taking account of the extra hours he'll have to pay one of his farm labourers to look after the nag.
He says he's worked out the costs and reckons they're similar or less to using an existing large, modern tractor (or purchasing a small new one just for this purpose) idling about in a farmyard moving things around, lifiting bales etc - this was before fuel prices went up.

Well a friend of mine uses a Ford Dexter bought new by his grandfather in 1962 for light jobs on the farm. He likes it because no enclosed cab so delightful to use in half decent weather.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
rjb

Post by rjb »

Dropped to £166.9 for e10 petrol at Thornfalcon on the A358 between the M5 and A303. :wink:
And the road beyond to our village has been closed due to a crop fire. :(
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

So, this is what the end of the world looks like - I always wondered...
S
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Listening to R4 this morning, and they were quoting Martin Lewis, and saying how he has said that he's run out of advice.

Fuel costs are rising and costs for food and goods and water and electricity, together with inflation, are going to put many people and families into poverty, and more of them as the years go by.

The "government" that we are lumbered with, and the governmental system we are lumbered with are doing NOTHING.
The share-holders are raking it in by the million, and the man in the street is having to grin(?) and bear it.

Revolution is on the cards IMHO.
Sad to say.
Mick F. Cornwall
rjb

Post by rjb »

simonineaston wrote: 9 Aug 2022, 3:07pm So, this is what the end of the world looks like - I always wondered...
i wonder if the 2 events are related. :shock: The garage is only 1/4 mile from the fire.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

pete75 wrote: 8 Aug 2022, 6:31pm

Well a friend of mine uses a Ford Dexter bought new by his grandfather in 1962 for light jobs on the farm. He likes it because no enclosed cab so delightful to use in half decent weather.
modern day farming is incredibly intensive and massive machines, the bigger the better is the order of the day. Modern combines can be producing 70 to 120 ton of grain per hour, you need three tractors and trailers the size of articulated lorries to keep up. There's a lot of people to feed
simonineaston wrote: 9 Aug 2022, 3:07pm So, this is what the end of the world looks like - I always wondered...
May be not the end of the world but the end of the peace and normality we have been so lucky to have enjoyed within our lifetimes. Profound changes are afoot.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Pebble wrote: 9 Aug 2022, 4:06pm
pete75 wrote: 8 Aug 2022, 6:31pm

modern day farming is incredibly intensive and massive machines, the bigger the better is the order of the day. Modern combines can be producing 70 to 120 ton of grain per hour, you need three tractors and trailers the size of articulated lorries to keep up. There's a lot of people to feed
Not all jobs on the farm need a 300HP tractor.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker