Fuel prices

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: Fuel prices

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote: 13 Aug 2022, 9:42am
reohn2 wrote: 12 Aug 2022, 7:14pm I paid £1.68 for E10 in Caton Lancs today.
Remind me. What is E10? Regular unleaded?
:lol: Yes,E10 is 10% Ethanol based 95 octane unleaded petrol.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

pwa wrote: 13 Aug 2022, 9:40am
You joke, but already there are people going to food banks and asking for food that doesn't need cooking, because they are concerned about the cost of cooking. And I think using the oven may become a luxury thing. Sadly, I think there may be a move away from fresh veg because of this.
True, though you can actually cook veg in very little water for quite a short time.
Sweep
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Saudi Oil Giant pockets 48 billion in quarterly profits.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62539480

Newcastle should get a decent strike out of the loose change.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

And I think using the oven may become a luxury thing.
I've switched to my electronically-controlled pressure cooker which is pretty much the most economical way I know of dealing stuff that needs long cooking. As for carb.s I always did cook pasta & rice in sufficient portions that there'd be lots left over to go in the fridge. I'm now cooking pots whole, so that I can use them as & when, either riced for mash or diced and fried later.
This method is partic. successful for mash because the whole spud (cut in half) goes through the ricer, leaving the skin behind, then whatever is added to the riced potato - milk, butter, s&p, cream maybe or cheese, and then the whole is heated up in the microwave. Same goes for sweet pot.s. A week's worth of pot.s is cooked in one go. The timing needed fairly careful investigation as the pressure cooker can over-cook pots fairly readily...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Newcastle should get a decent strike out of the loose change.
Excellent typo!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

Forecourt prices 172/182 p/d here at the moment, down from a £2 max last month.

August 2022 crude $89 - £1.70 and more at the pump
June 2008 crude $187 - £1.04 at the pump.

Is there a reasonable explanation for this?

fuel price img.jpg
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Man with a hardware shop on The News said his sales of fans gas gone down from 10 a day to 3 a day. He says its because of people worried about electricity costs! Looked at our vertical tangential fan that keeps our bedroom comfy at night.....45w ...360w for a nightimes comfort = 10p!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote: 14 Aug 2022, 5:43pm Man with a hardware shop on The News said his sales of fans gas gone down from 10 a day to 3 a day. He says its because of people worried about electricity costs! Looked at our vertical tangential fan that keeps our bedroom comfy at night.....45w ...360w for a nightimes comfort = 10p!

Al
Yeah but,if you're struggling to make ends meet due to this government's total and complete mismangement of the country you won't be in a position to buy and run one and there's a lot of working people in that position.
First there's the initial outlay for the fan itself,£30+, a big chunk of a weekly budget,then the cost of running it with elec costs rising almost daily and,logically,the hot weather won't last forever(check the forecast).It doesn't surprise me people struggling to balance the books ever week are unable to buy a fan to use at most for a week or two a year.
W H Auden
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I see Starmer has now said what Labour would do about the fuel price.
Let's see how Truss responds as previously she has been against handouts, that is if you ignore money to the already wealthy.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

francovendee wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 8:54am I see Starmer has now said what Labour would do about the fuel price.
Let's see how Truss responds as previously she has been against handouts, that is if you ignore money to the already wealthy.
Truss,last week claimed Sturgeon was "an attention seeker" the opposite is true IMHO.
W H Auden
pete75

Post by pete75 »

francovendee wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 8:54am I see Starmer has now said what Labour would do about the fuel price.
Truss is appealing to the Conservative party membership, most of whom are quite well off and most of whom don't give a damn about poorer folk. She needs to advocate policies that will make them better off not the sort of people very unlikely to be Tory party members.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

reohn2 wrote: 14 Aug 2022, 8:49pm
al_yrpal wrote: 14 Aug 2022, 5:43pm Man with a hardware shop on The News said his sales of fans gas gone down from 10 a day to 3 a day. He says its because of people worried about electricity costs! Looked at our vertical tangential fan that keeps our bedroom comfy at night.....45w ...360w for a nightimes comfort = 10p!

Al
Yeah but,if you're struggling to make ends meet due to this government's total and complete mismangement of the country you won't be in a position to buy and run one and there's a lot of working people in that position.
First there's the initial outlay for the fan itself,£30+, a big chunk of a weekly budget,then the cost of running it with elec costs rising almost daily and,logically,the hot weather won't last forever(check the forecast).It doesn't surprise me people struggling to balance the books ever week are unable to buy a fan to use at most for a week or two a year.
People were buying them though so that theory wont wash. Bourne out by our local Devon Del Boy Alfie who sells fans amongst other things. He is closing his shop and when he announced he was closing his takings went from £150 a day to £1000 a day as folk stocked up on his cheap stuff. Seemingly no shortage of readies!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Back when I saw the serious effects of climate change rear their nasty head over the horizon, I moved to a more energy efficient property and stocked up on suitable fans... lucky me. I gotta say those little cuboid personal 'air conditioning' jobbies work well for me. They are available at stupid prices if you fall for the blurb, but there are also inexpensive alternatives, especially if you curb your enthusiasm and wait 'till winter to buy.
Hype aside, they're just small evaporative coolers, based on a water-tank feeding a large, square filter, with the air passed through the filter by a PC fan. I imagine that they are quite within the capability of a competant DIYer.
Used overnight on the lowest setting, mine is both quiet and effective enough to result in a patch of cooler air directed at head & shoulders. According to the small info. screen, the air temp typically drops from 28° in, by about 8 degrees, to 20 out. It's not like real ac of course, but it's definitely contributed to more comfortable nights...
S
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 12:13pm
reohn2 wrote: 14 Aug 2022, 8:49pm

Al
People were buying them though so that theory wont wash. Bourne out by our local Devon Del Boy Alfie who sells fans amongst other things. He is closing his shop and when he announced he was closing his takings went from £150 a day to £1000 a day as folk stocked up on his cheap stuff. Seemingly no shortage of readies!

Al
Originally you drew attention to a retailer who's fan sales had reduced by 70% despite the heatwave,I gave you what I suspected was a very good reason why ie;runaway inflation ergo lack of disposable income.
Now your claim for that not being the case is a retailer close to you closing down who's sales have gone up,could that be due to him discounting everything to shift his stock so he won't have it left on his hands after he closes down?
Also it begs the question as to why he's closing down?
Could it also be that the people who are buying his stock are the people in society looking for a bargain who can afford it and not the those struggling,a section of working people rapidl on the increase by all accounts.
Do you have a link to your story?
Your claim of "no shortage of readies" is only correct for certain elements of society,I like you aren't struggling financially,however there's a whole swathe of ordinary working people who two or three years ago would've been managing quite well but are now,due to runaway inflation,are finding life a real struggle financially.
We shouldn't judge everyone by our own standards IMHO.
W H Auden
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I am not! We are well aware of how people are struggling and we are trying our best to help.

Alfies problem for some years has been the arrival in the town of Home Bargains. He does undercut Aldi though. Anyway, he's a trader and I believe he wont stop til he drops.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mirror ... 625039.amp

Al