Close Pass of the Day .....

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
PM999

Close Pass of the Day .....

Post by PM999 »

.... goes to a little [snip]:

[snip]

Trigger warning for a sweary reaction just picked up by the camera mic.

Edited for reasons made clear below.
Last edited by PM999 on 6 Aug 2022, 3:30pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tiggertoo

Re: Close Pass of the Day .....

Post by Tiggertoo »

It looked very deliberate. Needs to be reported immediately.
hemo

Post by hemo »

Why post it here, surley one should be posting it on the local plod website of that area.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Bad!

I noticed that it was an Openreach van that gave good space, and I’ve noticed that they now seem particularly good at it - I wonder if BT may have briefed/trained all their drivers since the new version of the HC came out.
PM999

Post by PM999 »

Update: I had reported it prior to posting here. Police Scotland don't have online submission (due live 2023), so I attended the local police station armed with memory stick containing video clips (front camera much higher resolution and better for vehicle ID). Nice admin. lady on the front desk took everything and advised that someone would be in touch.

9:30pm that evening, phone call from a sympathetic young traffic officer. He cycles, his kids cycle, local to the area & knows the road - very supportive. Could he call in tomorrow to take a statement & return the memory stick?

He called round this afternoon. Statement taken and huge effort made to get everything right. He actually measured the width of the bike handlebars and then drove out to the road in question to measure up there and attempt an accurate assessment of the actual passing distance.

NIP due in the post to registered keeper this evening, case notes etc. to Procurator Fiscal to decide fixed penalty offer. The officer had in mind likely careless driving, 3 points, £100 fine.

Efficient beyond my expectations.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Give that man a promotion!
hemo

Post by hemo »

Good job sadly not all police forces act accordingly.
awavey

Post by awavey »

Nearholmer wrote: 3 Aug 2022, 8:53pm Bad!

I noticed that it was an Openreach van that gave good space, and I’ve noticed that they now seem particularly good at it - I wonder if BT may have briefed/trained all their drivers since the new version of the HC came out.
given I got passed somewhat more closely than I wanted from an Openreach van last week, though not bad enough to warrant submitting it to anyone, Id say not, or the very least training maybe heavily area dependent.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

A young person tried to overtake me on a left hand bend a couple of days ago on a B road -- she had to stop when she came along side me as another car was meeting us blaring the horn and braking -- I was tucked well into the gutter. The attempted pass was a lot closer than the op's as the doll was trying to keep to her side of the road while trying to pass me at the same time. What we call a duncey move. Only time I've ever held my hand out in a palm up to the driver ? gesture. Only sorry I it was the one time I didn't have the camera on.
Last edited by Cowsham on 11 Aug 2022, 9:19am, edited 1 time in total.
I am here. Where are you?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

PM999

Scotland has a different legal system to England so I have to depend on others such as irc for explanations of the detail but AIUI up there they are even stricter than we are about the publication of potentially prejudicial material. I'm surprised that the officer investigating your complaint didn't ask you not to post it online.
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

thirdcrank wrote: 6 Aug 2022, 2:20pm PM999

Scotland has a different legal system to England so I have to depend on others such as irc for explanations of the detail but AIUI up there they are even stricter than we are about the publication of potentially prejudicial material. I'm surprised that the officer investigating your complaint didn't ask you not to post it online.
I submitted some footage to our local, South Wales, police sometime ago. I was told not to publish it anywhere, or delete the original, until the case concluded.
I had an email a week or so ago telling me that the case had concluded and action has been taken (although they didn't say what action) and I can delete the footage.
I might put it on YouTube and post a link soon.
Richard M
Cardiff
PM999

Post by PM999 »

thirdcrank wrote: 6 Aug 2022, 2:20pm PM999

Nothing mentioned at all by the officer, and we did have quite a long conversation.

Point taken, so I'll delete the link just in case.
hoogerbooger

Post by hoogerbooger »

(Cowsham: I realise your experience was scary and likely to generate fruity language in the moment....but could you consider editing your post)

I've had several close passes recently on roads with continuous white lines on my side, where the driver behind has waited and waited until they can see nothing is coming the other way.......then crept pass slowly staying within the lines and v close to me. They were obviously trying to be careful.....but I wish they had just crossed the white line and given me good room.

Now I presume the lack of space given will probably make it an offence .....but does anyone know if they could legally cross the no overtaking lines if it is clearly safe to do so ? I think I should prep for the conversation when I manage to catch up.
old fangled
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

hoogerbooger wrote: 9 Aug 2022, 9:35pm...
I've had several close passes recently on roads with continuous white lines on my side, where the driver behind has waited and waited until they can see nothing is coming the other way.......then crept pass slowly staying within the lines and v close to me. They were obviously trying to be careful.....but I wish they had just crossed the white line and given me good room.

Now I presume the lack of space given will probably make it an offence .....but does anyone know if they could legally cross the no overtaking lines if it is clearly safe to do so ? I think I should prep for the conversation when I manage to catch up.
Yes.
Jdsk wrote: 21 Aug 2020, 10:03am Rule 129?
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway ... 58#rule129

Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.
Jdsk wrote: 2 Jul 2022, 7:00pm Rule 129:

Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.
Jonathan
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

hoogerbooger wrote: 9 Aug 2022, 9:35pm (Cowsham: I realise your experience was scary and likely to generate fruity language in the moment....but could you consider editing your post)

If you are doing less than 10mph it is quite legal to cross a solid white to overtake if it is safe to do so.

In theory the following vehicle should wait until their speed has dropped to 10mph before attempting said manouver but in the real world 99% don't abide by that or the if it is safe to do so bit.

Maybe its time the government spent some money on 'public information' media like wot we used to get with for example mixing tyres, green cross code and so on instead of relying on biased media to dispense a message after people have been killed/injured.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!