For bicycle mirror users.

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
Cugel

For bicycle mirror users.

Post by Cugel »

For some years now I've had Sprintech handlebar-end mirrors on all my drop-bar bikes. I be an ole scrote so can no longer easily twizzle on the saddle to look behind; and looking behind can be a distraction from looking frontward, where most accidents lurk!

Anyway, I couldn't get the SJS Cycles website purchasing screen to work properly when trying to buy another mirror set so went hunting on Amazon, finding these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09 ... UTF8&psc=1

They seem to be sold under many trade names at varying prices - probably all made in one factory somewhere in the far east. They were £15.95 in the guise I bought them.

I wasn't expecting much, to be honest. I've been pleasantly surprised.

Whilst the Sprintech are quite good they can suffer droop when the road vibrations get really rough. Also, the mirror is plastic and scratches quite easily, even when one takes a lot of care to avoid rubbing with a gritty mit or piece of "cleaning" cloth.

The Far Eastern round versions from Amazon use glass, which seems to give a much clearer view than the plastic mirrors of the Sprintechs. Their articulation is also better than the Sprintechs, in that they can be made to stick out from the bars a bit more (less view of your own leg) and stay in position much better than do the Sprintechs when going over very rough surfaces.

So, I recommend them. If you do fancy a pair, I'd watch out for the really cheap versions (ten quid or less) which seem to either be copies made of lesser materials or have mirrors with plastic or polished metal surfaces rather than glass.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
De Sisti

Re: For bicycle mirror users.

Post by De Sisti »

I've just bought the mirror(s). Two for the price of what you'd normally pay for one. What's not to like?
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

Just ordered a pair, the children have made do with plastic ones up to now, they've gone milky round the edges of the mirror. Hope you're on commission!
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

De Sisti wrote: 12 Aug 2022, 8:06am I've just bought the mirror(s). Two for the price of what you'd normally pay for one. What's not to like?
Edit: However, I do think the Cateye BM45 has a better lens quality (images are larger than that of the BriskMore mirror), so I'll use the Cateye on the off-side barend and the BriskMore on the near-side (as the BriskMore has more manoeuvrability).