Pump, compact, that actually works.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Brucey

Re: pumps for road bikes

Post by Brucey »

Size 1 goes to ~14" frame size. IIRC for any given barrel length, a Zefal HP pump is slightly shorter than an HPX, because the handle is shorter on an HP.

Zefal HP and HPX pumps can be polished up and can look pretty classy; this is an HP that has been given the treatment

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Re spare parts for Zefal HP/HPX chucks

This is the best image I can find from a 1980's Zefal catalogue

[edit; image can no longer be found anywhere....]

which shows the original parts required for a conversion between Schrader and Presta fitting

Basically you use parts 1,2,3 for Schrader, and parts 1,4,5,6 for Presta. Parts 2 and 4 may be interchangeable.

The lever follower (not shown) is thick-walled (~13.7mm OD, 10.6mm bore) and takes a hefty load on the end face. Nothing much goes within the lever follower.

Later versions of the HPX use these parts (current rebuild kit)

The current HPX lever follower is a different part and is thinner walled (~13.7mm OD, 12.0mm bore, with a longer air admission slot in it). The plastic valve insert (~11.7mm OD) fits inside it and takes most of the load from the lever. I do not think this kit will fit in an older pump unless the valve insert is made narrower or the lever follower is modified.

cheers
Last edited by Brucey on 12 Sep 2018, 2:15pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

I converted from frame-fit about a year ago - I discovered the "GIANT CONTROL MINI ROAD +" and I now have one in each rackpack. It is ¾" diameter and 8½" long (i.e. very small) - light-weight aluminium - has a hose with Presta/Schraeder convertible adapter and I've tested it to a fraction over 100psi. It came with a bracket to facilitate frame-fitting, but it tucks away in my rackpack or saddlebag. It was about £20-£25. It does take longer to get up to pressure that a frame-fitting pump, but that's understandable and (for me) an acceptable compromise considering the small size.

I have three - two silver and one black. One in each saddlebag/rackpack so that I don't ride off without one. I bought one, copped a puncture, used the pump and bought the other two on the strength of what I deemed to be the success of the first.

Another advantage is that I can have two bottle cages now - one on the down-tube (as usual) and the other on the seat-tube - the latter liberated by the change from frame-fit pump.
sjs

Post by sjs »

Vorpal wrote:I used to carry a mini pump on a down tube bracket on my road bike, but it failed me a couple of times, so I now carry my 'normal' portable pump, the Topeak road morph.

Another vote for the Road Morph. Very nearly as good as a full-size track pump. It does have a bottle mount bracket, but I usually keep it in a bag, because it rattles when on the bracket.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

sjs wrote:
Vorpal wrote:I used to carry a mini pump on a down tube bracket on my road bike, but it failed me a couple of times, so I now carry my 'normal' portable pump, the Topeak road morph.

Another vote for the Road Morph. Very nearly as good as a full-size track pump. It does have a bottle mount bracket, but I usually keep it in a bag, because it rattles when on the bracket.

Did someone up thread (sorry lazy/in a rush) say that they couldn't get too high with it? I can easily get ul to 120psi with it. That's on a 20 inch tube if that makes any difference.
Sweep
chris_suffolk

Recommendations for Travel Track pump

Post by chris_suffolk »

I'm doing the C2C later in the year on a road bike, and need to get all my stuff into a bag to be moved from one over-night stop to the next. My normal track pump won't fit in, so I'm looking for something portable (say 50cm long or less), that will get to 100psi (so my 'get me home' pump as carried on the bike is out) and has a pressure gauge. Any recommendations? Or even anybody got one that they no longer need?

Thanks
thirdcrank

Re: Recommendations for Travel Track pump

Post by thirdcrank »

Have a look at the Topeak Road Morph

https://www.topeak.com/global/en/produc ... d-morph--g
531colin

Post by 531colin »

thirdcrank wrote: 29 Apr 2022, 6:50pm Have a look at the Topeak Road Morph

https://www.topeak.com/global/en/produc ... d-morph--g
^^THIS! ...and carry it on the bike anyway! If nothing else, you will be popular whoever punctures!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I use a Lezyne Micro Floor Drive HP with gauge. Excellent Bought them for all the family.

Lots of discussion of these in the archives:
search.php?keywords=lezyne+micro

Jonathan
audaxjk

Post by audaxjk »

An possible alternative option is to pop into bike shops en route and ask nicely if they can top you up with their pumps. There are quite a few on or close to the route. I did this when I punctured (twice) and also used them to buy inner tubes to keep my spares topped up.
drossall

Post by drossall »

I'd carry a decent portable pump in case of punctures, with the aim of getting back to a rideable pressure. Then, as others suggest, if I got a puncture, I'd pop into the next bike shop, ask to borrow their pump, and perhaps compensate them by buying another spare tube. I wouldn't expect to have to top up tyres, except for punctures, during a C2C ride.

So I wouldn't be worrying about a track-style pump beyond whatever I chose to carry on the bike.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

+1 to a Topeak Morph.
Spares can also be had.
Sweep
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Why do you need a pump to be transported to your overnight stop?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Re borrowing a pump at the next bike shop, is this a realistic plan on this route? I've done a bit of googling and found only one place advertising itself and they do offer what looks like a very comprehensive service to C2C riders (but no mention of loan of track pumps.)

http://havencycles-c2cservices.co.uk/

Speaking more generally, I've visited loads of bike shops over the years - in the way others may visit cathedrals etc - but going purely from memory, I don't remember any where I'd be confident of turning up as a stranger and being loaned a track pump. I used to be a fairly regular customer at the old Ellis Briggs shop in Shipley (the one by the canal - not the very old shop before that) and they used to have a sign in the window along the lines of "The man who used to lend out tools has left, never to return." There was another sign banning bikes from being brought into the shop and offering the loan of a D lock to fasten bikes to their sheffield stands.

Any port in a storm, but I'm not sure this would be a sensible plan riding across northern England.
audaxjk

Post by audaxjk »

I don’t think it’s tricky to borrow use of a track pump from shops on the route. They are used to a succession of C2Cers going past their doors especially in the Summer. Keswick (Mountain) Bikes had no problem topping me up, I did purchase a tube from them as well. I think the other shop was near Consett.

Returning to the OPs query once again, I forgot to mention my current tactic - I carry a mini-pump and CO2 cartridge nowadays. Once a new tube has been fitted at the roadside, I’ll hand pump to 2-3ish bar then use the cartridge to boost up to full pressure. Unused gas in the cartridge can still be used at a later day depending upon the quality of your inflator (I have a Jet Valve which will doesn’t seem to leak any co2 out of an opened cartridge). I usually carry 2 cartridges in my saddle bag for most rides nowadays, although you can get kits with pumps which bolt on to your bottle cage mounts too.