Pump, compact, that actually works.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
chris_suffolk

Re: Recommendations for Travel Track pump

Post by chris_suffolk »

Thanks for the replies.

Will look into Topeak and Lezyne options.
freeflow wrote: 30 Apr 2022, 7:21am Why do you need a pump to be transported to your overnight stop?
Bags are being moved between overnight stops, so pump will be in the bag, as most track pumps are too big to carry on a bike - well a road bike at least.
drossall wrote: 29 Apr 2022, 11:27pm I wouldn't expect to have to top up tyres, except for punctures, during a C2C ride.
Maybe, but I habitually check and adjust the pressures on my tyres every day I ride. They usually lose some over a 24hr period.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Wow. I do mine maybe once a month.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Any of the micro floor pumps. Lezyne, Topeak or whatever. Much easier on the arms than a hand-held pump. The Lezyne looks the nicest but I have used several brands and they have all worked well.
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Maybe I wasn't clear. What is the reason for needing a pump when you are at your overnight stop. My thoughts were that if this is an organised ride, the organiser should be providing a pump. I don't understand why you need a pump at the overnight stop when it's most likely you'll need one during the day in case of p***s
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

This is crazy-try a pump at a bike shop or seek help from local riders.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

mumbojumbo wrote: 20 May 2022, 5:25pm This is crazy-try a pump at a bike shop or seek help from local riders.
you don't carry your own pump when you ride?
Sweep
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

I have puncture proof tyres so often have no pump.I certainly would carry not a track pump-ridiculous.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

mumbojumbo wrote: 21 May 2022, 7:37pm I have puncture proof tyres so often have no pump.I certainly would carry not a track pump-ridiculous.
puncture PROOF :)

there are also valve issues you know.

I thought we were talking about TRAVEL, ie mini, track pumps.
No probs to carry.
Sweep
RickH

Post by RickH »

Jdsk wrote: 29 Apr 2022, 6:54pm I use a Lezyne Micro Floor Drive HP with gauge. Excellent Bought them for all the family.

Lots of discussion of these in the archives:
search.php?keywords=lezyne+micro

Jonathan
Another vote here for this pump. :D
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I suppose a decent frame pump is out of the question? - my Zefal HPX will do 130 psi - it was always in demand on club runs when we ran out of patience with the latest toy.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

+1 for Road Morph. Even with my thready muscles I can get tyre pressure up to 7 bar before my blood pressure hits 25/7.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Another +1 for the Road Morph.

If you want to allow carrying it on the bike, given that on the road is where it's most likely to be needed, the Topeak Peak DX bracket fits it, and leaves the bottle cage mounts usable for a bottle.

In terms of pumps, the basic rule is that the bigger they are, the better they work.
This is why everybody sensible has a full size track pump at home, and is why the size 4 Zefal HPX under the top tube of my touring bike works better than the size 2 HPX down the seatstay of my audax bike. Unfortunately, many modern bikes don't allow for the fitting of a frame fit pump, what with sloping top tubes and rounded joints on carbon or hydroformed aluminium frames.

The Road Morph is similar to the HPX2 in terms of function, gaining on track-pumpness what it loses on size
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

andrew_s wrote: 28 May 2022, 12:31pm Another one for the Zefal HPX

If you want to allow carrying it on the bike, given that on the road is where it's most likely to be needed, the Topeak Peak DX bracket fits it, and leaves the bottle cage mounts usable for a bottle.

Unfortunately, many modern bikes don't allow for the fitting of a frame fit pump, what with sloping top tubes and rounded joints on carbon or hydroformed aluminium frames.

The Road Morph is similar to the HPX2 in terms of function, gaining on track-pumpness what it loses on size
I have solved that problem by making a pump-peg with a zip-tie around the headtube
(cutting off the excess that faces the inside of the frame-triangle)
:idea:
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

andrew_s wrote: 28 May 2022, 12:31pmThis is why everybody sensible has a full size track pump at home...
For people with a bike but not much space or money or interest I'd suggest only having a small light transportable pump such as the Lezyne Micro Floor Drive. (Others may be as good or better but I wouldn't know.)

Jonathan
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

mumbojumbo wrote: 21 May 2022, 7:37pm I have puncture proof tyres so often have no pump.I certainly would carry not a track pump-ridiculous.
What are these puncture proof tyres?!

If you have have normal tyre you really need a pump and tube / patches...