Pump, compact, that actually works.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mumbojumbo

Re: Recommendations for Travel Track pump

Post by mumbojumbo »

Available in all bike shops
fixer

Post by fixer »

If you can fit a Zefal HPX to your bike or put it in a bag, then that is as good as any track pump, for presta valves at least
freiston

Post by freiston »

mumbojumbo wrote: 21 May 2022, 7:37pm I have puncture proof tyres . . .
mumbojumbo wrote: 1 Jun 2022, 9:19pm Available in all bike shops
Two very bold and astounding claims. At least tell us what the make/model is. My first thought was Tannus until you said available in all bike shops.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

freiston wrote: 1 Jun 2022, 10:38pm
mumbojumbo wrote: 21 May 2022, 7:37pm I have puncture proof tyres . . .
mumbojumbo wrote: 1 Jun 2022, 9:19pm Available in all bike shops
Two very bold and astounding claims. At least tell us what the make/model is. My first thought was Tannus until you said available in all bike shops.
I think you'll find them next to the everlasting legs.
Sweep
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Re Zéfal hpX pump. I' have one and it must surely be one of the best - perhaps the best - frame-fitting pumps ever produced. However, IMO it has shortcomings inherent in the push-on design which are avoided with a flexible hose connector.

This seems academic because the hpX seems to have be discontinued. It's no longer listed on the Zéfal www and the 2-3 advertisers I've checked say "Out of stock."

https://www.zefal.com/en/search?search_query=pump
freiston

Post by freiston »

thirdcrank wrote: 2 Jun 2022, 7:55am Re Zéfal hpX pump. I' have one and it must surely be one of the best - perhaps the best - frame-fitting pumps ever produced. However, IMO it has shortcomings inherent in the push-on design which are avoided with a flexible hose connector.

This seems academic because the hpX seems to have be discontinued. It's no longer listed on the Zéfal www and the 2-3 advertisers I've checked say "Out of stock."

The Zefal Rev 88 still appears to be available and is a good and cheap alternative to the HPX imho (can be found for less than a fiver). It comes in different lengths for different sizes of frame too. I have one but, like you, prefer a hose connector and so I now use a Lezyne Micro Floor HV with gauge, which I think is a very good track style travel pump.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
fixer

Post by fixer »

thirdcrank wrote: 2 Jun 2022, 7:55am Re Zéfal hpX pump. I' have one and it must surely be one of the best - perhaps the best - frame-fitting pumps ever produced. However, IMO it has shortcomings inherent in the push-on design which are avoided with a flexible hose connector.

I've never had a problem with the push-on design, I actually prefer it as it's quicker to use than a track pump with a hose.

The pure push on adapter without a lever to compress the rubber washer as on the SKS Rencompressor is the one I don't like because eventually it gets worn and does not stay on the valve. Which is what happened to mine and I don't bother to use it anymore.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I'd also recommend the Lezyne Micro Floor Drive (whatever variant you need for your tyre pressure range). I've had one for years and it's small, light, well built and reliable.

Ian
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

For ordinary use, a few seconds here or there fitting the pump to the valve is, well, neither here nor there. However, a connecting hose prevents any waggling of the valve that is likely with an adaptor built into the pump as with the hpX. It may be that there are people whose grip on the pump is so strong that they can avoid waggling the valve and among those there must be some who can also inflate the tyre to the desired pressure. I'd fail on both criteria.

I think it's also worth remembering that the OP is talking about being on tour. ie Not limping home one way or another and sorting everything out there, but rather getting tyre pressure just so for the rest of a tour.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

thirdcrank wrote: 2 Jun 2022, 7:55amThis seems academic because the hpX seems to have be discontinued. It's no longer listed on the Zéfal www and the 2-3 advertisers I've checked say "Out of stock."
It would seem that a few places still have the size 3 version (e.g. Spa), but other sizes do seem to be no longer available.

Never mind - the Topeak Road Master Blaster is very similar, and just about as good
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

In terms of pumps, the basic rule is that the bigger they are, the better they work.
This is why everybody sensible has a full size track pump at home, and is why the size 4 Zefal HPX under the top tube of my touring bike works better than the size 2 HPX down the seatstay of my audax bike. Unfortunately, many modern bikes don't allow for the fitting of a frame fit pump, what with sloping top tubes and rounded joints on carbon or hydroformed aluminium frames.
Frame-fitting pumps can often be made to fit those frames thanks to straps: Voile, velcro, ratchet, etc.

In terms of Zefal HPX versus Topeak Road Master Blaster, I have one of each and there's really nothing between them in terms of performance. I think one of them has a reversible head for presta/schrader but I can't remember which because I only have presta valves. :? If forced to recommend one over the over, I'd say make your choice based on colour or whether you feel the Topeak's rather ridiculous name is a chance for a giggle or something to cringe at.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 4 Jun 2022, 8:14pm In terms of Zefal HPX versus Topeak Road Master Blaster, I have one of each and there's really nothing between them in terms of performance. I think one of them has a reversible head for presta/schrader but I can't remember which because I only have presta valves. :?
Both have reversible heads for presta/schraeder.

I prefer the HPX, but the only thing I can really point at to justify my stance is that the spring lockout on my RMB got jammed one time. Having said which, taking it apart for a de-crud was simple enough, and fixed it fine.
evag72

Post by evag72 »

Hi
It's decent for what it is--an emergency pump.

I have a mini floor pump from Pro Bike Tool that I already use with 20-inch folding bikes.
The mini floor pump is considerably better at getting tires up to 100 psi since it sits vertically on the ground and you've got gravity helping you each time you push down.
If you need to have a pump that you can rely on to get back up to 100 psi I would say get a proper mini pump like the Topeak Road Morph which is similar.
I also have the Xiaomi portable tire inflator that I can bring to top up to 100 psi or more.
The Xiaomi is small enough that it can fit into a bag but it will not mount onto the bike anywhere so keep that in mind.
Nearholmer

Pump, compact, that actually works.

Post by Nearholmer »

I can’t find a topic covering this, which seems surprising, but ……

Is there a ‘gold standard’ compact portable tyre pump, one that actually pumps tyres up?

I’ve got two, and have tried friends’ ones, and they all seem better at letting air out of tyres than putting it in.

Needed for multi-day rides when a bit of a top-up along the way becomes necessary, which I find it does after riding on rough ground for long periods.

I’m aware of CO2 canisters and would much rather not.

Current tyres are tubeless, and they have many advantages, but don’t seem as pressure tight as the old faithful tubed touring tyres. Not leaking as such, but dropping a few pounds over the day.
Jdsk

Re: Pump, compact, that actually works.

Post by Jdsk »

"Recommendations for Travel Track pump":
[topics merged by moderator]

... including mine.

I haven't checked whether all of the suggestions are "track pump" designs.

Jonathan