Is there a suitable C2C for me?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
PAB855

Is there a suitable C2C for me?

Post by PAB855 »

I probably am looking for the impossible, but I would very much like to do a C2C say from Workington to Tynemouth.

The problem is I am now in my mid 80s and don't get the same time on the bike as I used to.

Within the past 10years I have done a number of sportives including Oban and the Lakeland Monster adventure cross, but the shorter distances.

Next month I am due to tackle the Tayside Challenge 46miles. That will be a good test of me and my machine.

I have converted my CUBE Cross Road Trekking bike 2012 to take a Cytronex e kit, but have yet to drain the battery completely other than doing it on purpose on a high setting, on a shorter run, just to see and feel it go through the stages, green, blue, purple, red,flashing red. I've not done many rides longer than 30miles recently unfortunately.

I could only contemplate a fully supported max number of days which may be a rather expensive safari and the logistics in getting to and from the start and other factors involving my family might scupper it.
I'm remembering the preparation to get to and from Keswick in 2014 and the training I did beforehand took up time.

Are the routes and difficulty on a par with that event? I wouldn't think so judging by the Cicerone book on the C2C. The Adventure Cross was quite technically challenging, but I had no problems, thoroughly enjoyed it and completed it in 6.5 hours, not quick, but respectable. OK, I'm older, but the e assist is an absolute joy to use.

This may be an exercise in wasting your time, but I can't think of a better way to gather information on this subject.

Apologies for missing out any other information you may need.

Cheers
Paulatic

Re: Is there a suitable C2C for me?

Post by Paulatic »

Of course you can do it. I’m assuming aged 80 you don’t have to rush back to work :) You also don’t have to do it in 2 or 3 days.
Doesn’t need a lot of family help either. Have you considered
Starting from Carlisle ( leave car there if you drive)
day 1 > train to Workington and some cycling
day 2 get as far as Penrith.
day 3 have a day off/ or if it’s all too much train back to Carlisle/ or carry on
day4 will be very hilly maybe get to Stanhope
day 5 one big hill and then downhill to Tynemouth.
train back to Carlisle

I hope you achieve it in some form because it’s certainly an iconic ride and a pleasure to see the changes in landscape from west to east.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

Thanks for that Paulatic

I've not kept an eye on all the possible routes since just before the pandemic.

There have been quite a few changes, more choice and more companies offering their expertise.

A good part of the enjoyment is the planning, so I could be in for an interesting time ahead.

Thanks again
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

If you don’t want to carry luggage there is a company that organises it for you. I met the guy in Alston a few years ago waiting for the hostel to open.
As for possible routes C2C is really well signed I’ve done both Whitehaven and Workington start. Both are gentle until Whinlatter.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

I’m no expect on the c2c (having only cycled the one in Devon, which is probably no help), but just wanted to say I hope you find a way to make the trip and have a fantastic time in the process!
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

Do you mean C2C or just Sea to Sea as in a west-east crossing? Only one C2C really, and it's very lumpy and beyond me (probably) and so I don't fancy it, and I'm 20 years younger if that matter, though I'm still still on an acoustic bike. Of the other Sea to Sea routes I've done Way of the Roses and Hadrian's, the latter being much easier. I've used panniers on tours in the past but these days much prefer bag transport, a good company I've recently used for WotRoses and Hadrian's is Cycleactive.com they are really very good for easy bag transport and accommodation arrangements, I reckon they only charged an extra £15-20 a night over what I reckoned I could book independently.
Don't think of doing the other sea to sea that I did, that being the Trans Pennine Trail, as whilst the surfaces have improved from rough gravel bomb craters to tarmac surfaced bomb craters in places... Still some of it is decidedly rough and warrants a fat tyred and ideally front suspended bike at the very least.
hoogerbooger

Post by hoogerbooger »

I've done the CTC a couple off times.....but varied the route and distances both times to suit me/partner. From what you've said I'm sure with a bit of research you can work out an itinerary that suits you.... as long as you can afford the accomodation costs of stretching out the route.

If you want to do self supported work out how much you would need to carry and consider the sections with off road bits.....and perhaps do some practice runs on something slightly bumpy lumpy track near to you. There's nothing that's particularly technical on the route... I'm just thinking that it would be good to confident on how the bike handles.....and help you plan sensible distances.

My recollection is there's a long off-road railway track section after the steep climb from Stanhope.....that goes all the way to Consett & then on more less all the way to the Tyne/Newcastle. It wasn't overly bumpy but may prove tiring, despite being downhill if you are going west to east.
[ Last time I did it ...it rained cats n dogs. We ( 58 & 63 Yr olds) did Middleton in Teesdale to Tynemouth that day ....and arrived late,weary and covered in grey sludge. The nice young man at the B&B invited us in on arrival...but when we saw the white carpets and soft furnishings we begged and were duly provided with a hose pipe...to minimise the risks ! We enjoyed the trip never-the-less]
old fangled
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I did it last year - Whitehaven to Tynemouth - I was 80 - just decide how many miles a day you need and plan accordingly
I used my touring bike - provided you have low gears and aren't in a hurry you should be OK- one can't generalise of course but I'm a rather slow rider
There is a guide book which is quite informative - but it is a guide and not necessarily definitive.
Crossing the A66 isn't for the faint hearted :(