Friday night beer and bikes

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mumbojumbo

Re: Friday night beer and bikes

Post by mumbojumbo »

The son of Mister Stubbs. I would be pushed to drink in the pub even if it sold TT landlord at a penny a pint..
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

mumbojumbo wrote: 25 Aug 2022, 5:52pm The son of Mister Stubbs. I would be pushed to drink in the pub even if it sold TT landlord at a penny a pint..
Who is/was Mister Stubbs?
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Spitting image.
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

Pub update.

Went to watch Barnsley stuff the Wednesdays yesterday and called in at the Fat Cat for a few decent beers. Sad to see the brewery premises sitting abandoned though.

Cycled round Sheffield a bit and the cycling infrastructure is mostly good from what I saw. Went up to the site of Victoria station, the last time I was there, I got off a train from Manchester - it closed in 1970.....
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

tykeboy2003 wrote: 4 Sep 2022, 7:42am Pub update.
Went to watch Barnsley stuff the Wednesdays yesterday and called in at the Fat Cat for a few decent beers. Sad to see the brewery premises sitting abandoned though.
The whole Kelham Island area has had a lot of investment in the last few years.It's now a 'go to' area for weekend drinkers.I used to go in the Fat Cat regularly as it always sold a good selection of Ales and had a great atmosphere.Back in the 90s it was a red-light area so you risked getting accosted when you left.....even if with a girlfriend/wife!
There is a Micro-brewery at Kelham Island.
https://kelhambrewery.co.uk/
The Ship Inn on Shalesmoor is a nice old Boozer too.
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

PedallingSquares wrote: 4 Sep 2022, 1:05pm
The whole Kelham Island area has had a lot of investment in the last few years.It's now a 'go to' area for weekend drinkers.I used to go in the Fat Cat regularly as it always sold a good selection of Ales and had a great atmosphere.Back in the 90s it was a red-light area so you risked getting accosted when you left.....even if with a girlfriend/wife!
That's the brewery next to the Fat Cat which has unfortunately closed.
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

tykeboy2003 wrote: 23 Aug 2022, 2:29pm Interesting that my thread has been hijacked by people talking about pubs in and around Barnsley, my hometown! I grew up in Bolton on Dearne and used to frequent many pubs in the area, the favourite being the Halfway at Highgate (on the A635) appropriately half way between Barnsley and Doncaster. The pub is sadly no longer there having been demolished 20 or so years ago and replaced with housing. Another of my haunts was the working men's club next door which, happily, is still there.

I still get back to Barnsley, being a supporter of Barnsley FC and last year went in the No 7 in the town centre, the beers were excellent but the pork pies were magnificent.
I went in the Old No 7 a couple of years ago when my son and I went to see Cardiff City away. I don't remember the score but I remember enjoying a pint and a pork pie. I have a painting of them done by my son on the wall in the kitchen.
Richard M
Cardiff
PedallingSquares

tykeboy2003 wrote: 5 Sep 2022, 7:34am
PedallingSquares wrote: 4 Sep 2022, 1:05pm
That's the brewery next to the Fat Cat which has unfortunately closed.
Oh wow I didn't realise it had closed.They did some great ales!I had heard a micro-brewery was closing due to the owner retiring but I thought it was Abbeydale Brewery.
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

PedallingSquares wrote: 5 Sep 2022, 10:06am Oh wow I didn't realise it had closed.They did some great ales!I had heard a micro-brewery was closing due to the owner retiring but I thought it was Abbeydale Brewery.
Yes very sad, I had a chat with the barman, he said it closed in April this year.
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

richardfm wrote: 5 Sep 2022, 7:44amI have a painting of them done by my son on the wall in the kitchen.
The pints or the pork pie? Or both....
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

tykeboy2003 wrote: 6 Sep 2022, 3:09pm
richardfm wrote: 5 Sep 2022, 7:44amI have a painting of them done by my son on the wall in the kitchen.
The pints or the pork pie? Or both....
Both
Richard M
Cardiff
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

Another one last night, starting at The Burton Bridge Inn and taking in in the Red Lion, Linton and the Halfway House, Donisthorpe, finishing at the Bull's Head, Rosliston. Quite chilly, glad I had some gloves.
Screenshot_2022-09-17-09-52-09.png
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

tykeboy2003 wrote: 6 Sep 2022, 3:07pm
PedallingSquares wrote: 5 Sep 2022, 10:06am Oh wow I didn't realise it had closed.They did some great ales!I had heard a micro-brewery was closing due to the owner retiring but I thought it was Abbeydale Brewery.
Yes very sad, I had a chat with the barman, he said it closed in April this year.
is this the brewery behind Kelham Island Pale Rider?
If so might explain its disappearance from one of my local spoons in south London which had it on pretty much all the time (unusual for a "guest" ale) along with its other constantly changing delights. It was always a good standby if nothing else on offer took my fancy. And pretty strong.
Sweep
PedallingSquares

Sweep wrote: 18 Sep 2022, 2:14pm
tykeboy2003 wrote: 6 Sep 2022, 3:07pm
is this the brewery behind Kelham Island Pale Rider?
If so might explain its disappearance from one of my local spoons in south London which had it on pretty much all the time (unusual for a "guest" ale) along with its other constantly changing delights. It was always a good standby if nothing else on offer took my fancy. And pretty strong.
Yes it is,or was :|
PedallingSquares

Was out over t'border in Birdwell last night.Travellers Rest,very pricey foodie pub now then a band at the Venue.I know how to treat the wife....date night in 'Budwell' as the Tarners say :lol: :lol: