Grant Shapps panders to The Mail

pwa

Re: Grant Shapps panders to The Mail

Post by pwa »

simonineaston wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 6:04am Old chestnut - or real threat??Screenshot 2022-08-17 at 06.02.50.png
I think Shapps may also have been quoted in the Times as being put off by the bureaucracy involved in requiring cyclists to display registration numbers, which leads me to think that this may come to nothing.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

simonineaston wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 6:04am Old chestnut - or real threat??Screenshot 2022-08-17 at 06.02.50.png
"First they came for immigrants..."

Perhaps this may help cyclists notice that these people spend their time not trying to help the country, but generating hatred against vulnerable groups including refugees, transgender people, benefits claimants and anyone else who they can use to divide the country and continue in power.

Cyclists take note that you're also viewed as fair game, and vote accordingly.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 7:13am

Perhaps this may help cyclists notice that these people spend their time not trying to help the country, but generating hatred against vulnerable groups including refugees, transgender people, benefits claimants and anyone else who they can use to divide the country and continue in power.

Just so. Many motorists dislike cyclists, very easy to incite many of them to hatred. Exactly same tactics as with the many people who dislike foreigners, refugees and the disabled on benefits and were incited to ramp up to hatred - and brexit.
Facts mean nothing.
As soon as they come up with an "easy" means of registration it will be introduced, bound to gain a few votes!
Insurance is surely simple to impose.
In the meantime will be open season for motorists to injure and kill cyclists.
In short, cyclists contribute little to the capitalist economy, are an already disliked minority and are an easily identified target.
Insurance and a hi-viz tabard with "reg no" first next step I think.
Certainly will not be allowed on "roads" within a few years.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Unlike some posters above, I feel no animosity towards Matthew Briggs and in the current situation he has my sympathy. The government quietly ignored his campaign - the clearest evidence of that being there's nothing in the recently enacted Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Act 2022.

It's ironic that just as that legislation came into force, Grant Shapps was desperately trying to get things like inflation and the general mess being left by Boris Johnson out of the media spotlight. Frankly, it seems Matthew Briggs' pain is simply being exploited.

For this sort of spin to achieve its purpose, it has to generate controversy. The more cyclists rise to the bait, the more the likes of Grant Shapps are laughing.
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Interesting that Mr Shapps hasn't noticed that bikes don't have speedometers. But then again he's probably thinking that interrogating the offenders mobile phone (nope, I don't have one) will be all the evidence needed on the Tory assumption that everyone has a mobile phone (worked well for track-and-trace didn't it) - like everyone has a separate bathroom they can use to stop the spread of COVID.

This government beggars belief and MUST go :twisted:
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

thirdcrank wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 7:59am For this sort of spin to achieve its purpose, it has to generate controversy. The more cyclists rise to the bait, the more the likes of Grant Shapps are laughing.
Yup - you're right, I'll calm down now :)
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Unfortunately this is the response to the idiots who jump red lights, dangerously weave through traffic, ride on pavements etc. Unfair on the rest of us.

I have been shouted at in Germany for walking on a cycle path. I think they are intolerant of rule breakers there and I cant remember ever seeing anything like bad cyclist behavior there.

As far as I am aware there is no such similar legislation in any other country? Can anybody comment?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

djnotts wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 7:45am As soon as they come up with an "easy" means of registration it will be introduced, bound to gain a few votes!
Insurance is surely simple to impose.
Bikes change ownership all too often, and more so than motor vehicles. Somehow I doubt that
bike owners would be diligent in passing on information to the 'national database' as often as
would be required.

As for insurance; simple to impose? Should it be calculated by the brand of bike, how many gears it has or the bike's age?

I wonder if the plan is adopted if a new branch of the Department for Transport is set-up to
deal with this. Especially at a time when the government is planning to reduce the size of the
Civil Service.

Let's face it, this plan has been talked about before and will never get off the ground.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

al_yrpal wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 8:06am Unfortunately this is the response to the idiots who jump red lights, dangerously weave through traffic, ride on pavements etc.
I have a bridge for sale if you're interested?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

al_yrpal wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 8:06am Unfortunately this is the response to the idiots who jump red lights, dangerously weave through traffic, ride on pavements etc. Unfair on the rest of us.

I have been shouted at in Germany for walking on a cycle path. I think they are intolerant of rule breakers there and I cant remember ever seeing anything like bad cyclist behavior there.

As far as I am aware there is no such similar legislation in any other country? Can anybody comment?
Is that about legislation related to bad behaviour by people on bikes?

Or about compulsory registration or insurance? That has been tried in several other countries.

Thanks

Jonathan
Sweep

Re: Grant Chapps panders to The Mail

Post by Sweep »

Albrecht wrote: 9 Aug 2022, 11:23am
I don't think it's a question of "conformism", that's bordering on an fallacious & racist generalisation. Law abiding? Perhaps. I'd suggest it's more about well practised respect for others and a higher value for the general order or harmony (wa) within society, versus the self-centeredness in the West
so no generalisations from you then.
that's everyone the west (half the planet tho not sure where your line is drawn) dealt with.
Last edited by Sweep on 17 Aug 2022, 8:35am, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

DVLA can't even cope with current driving licences and the other stuff they are responsible for. Let's add a whole new tranche of stuff on them.

Then tell The Mail reader that their licence is delayed due to cyclists.

Win, win.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

djnotts wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 7:45am
roubaixtuesday wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 7:13am

Just so. Many motorists dislike cyclists, very easy to incite many of them to hatred. Exactly same tactics as with the many people who dislike foreigners, refugees and the disabled on benefits and were incited to ramp up to hatred - and brexit.
I agree about the political and psychological technique that is being used here. And it's getting rapidly worse as shown by the policy of the day from the candidates for the leadership of the Conservative Party (with a side order of Hard of Government.)

I don't think that the defence against this polarisation and outgroup hatred is helped by the type of rhetoric and generalisation common in this forum against people who sometimes drive cars.

Jonathan
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

simonhill wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 8:34am DVLA can't even cope with current driving licences and the other stuff they are responsible for. Let's add a whole new tranche of stuff on them.

Then tell The Mail reader that their licence is delayed due to cyclists.

Win, win.
:)
the licence plate and insurance thing hasn't got a hope in hell of being implemented.
It is of course just play acting to the gallery by schnapps.
Will get coverage for a day or few, excite some folks on social media and then be forgotten.
Meanwhile a skeleton train service between Manchester and London.
Sweep
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

djnotts wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 7:45am ...
As soon as they come up with an "easy" means of registration it will be introduced, bound to gain a few votes!
Certainly will not be allowed on "roads" within a few years.
pwa wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 6:37am
I think Shapps may also have been quoted in the Times as being put off by the bureaucracy involved in requiring cyclists to display registration numbers, which leads me to think that this may come to nothing.
Sweep wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 8:38amthe licence plate and insurance thing hasn't got a hope in hell of being implemented.
It is of course just play acting to the gallery by schnapps.
Will get coverage for a day or few, excite some folks on social media and then be forgotten.
I'd also bet that nothing will be legislated or implemented. But that there will be lots of noise and wasted effort along the way.

Jonathan