Grant Shapps panders to The Mail

simonhill

Re: Grant Shapps panders to The Mail

Post by simonhill »

I have already deleted one post as it had moved on, but to catch up:

Japan registers all bikes. I believe you take to Police station and a small sticker is applied. Never been questioned about my unregistered tourist bike.The police also remove bikes illegally parked, or else chain a block of concrete to it.

No lover of Boris, but at least he was more bike friendly than the rest of his crew.

In NZ there is (or was?) no compulsory insurance for vehicles. It is covered by a state provided 3rd party system. This ensures all are covered and apparently keeps claims to reasonable level. if our Govt are hell bent on cycles having insurance, this sort of scheme could cover it.

Maybe if the Police actually policed all traffic properly then the small number of red lighters, etc would stop and the dozens of close passes I have every day would stop as well. Some hope.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 1:47pmI've just heard Cycling UK's head of campaigning on The World at One. I thought that he did OK, but would have liked a stronger emphasis on the contribution of more cycling to better public health.
https://twitter.com/WeAreCyclingUK/stat ... 4101026818

Jonathan
hemo

Post by hemo »

I can see it right now as registered/number plated and insured cyclists bring the country to a go slow with local hold ups
every where by riding primary in the road. What's a good infuriating speed anyone ? 12 mph that should do it and then no one will get anywhere.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonhill wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 3:19pm ...
Japan registers all bikes. I believe you take to Police station and a small sticker is applied. Never been questioned about my unregistered tourist bike.The police also remove bikes illegally parked, or else chain a block of concrete to it.

No lover of Boris, but at least he was more bike friendly than the rest of his crew.

In NZ there is (or was?) no compulsory insurance for vehicles. It is covered by a state provided 3rd party system. This ensures all are covered and apparently keeps claims to reasonable level. if our Govt are hell bent on cycles having insurance, this sort of scheme could cover it.
A few more experiences in other countries in:

"Cyclists, welcome, you have just become the latest target in the culture wars":
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... lture-wars

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonhill wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 3:19pm ...
From the same article:

So why did Shapps venture so far off piste? Probably because with discipline evaporating in the last weeks of Boris Johnson’s government, he felt he could. Before now, cycle policy had largely been imposed on Shapps by No 10, with Johnson giving his longtime adviser, Andrew Gilligan, the lead on the issue.

Jonathan
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »

The one thing that today's nonsense now makes pretty certain is that Gilligan has already cleared his desk. Shapps would never have strayed so far off script when Gilligan was breathing down his neck.
hemo

Post by hemo »

This lot of tories one thinks has had their day and likely most will rue they got rid of Boris and his eccentricity, unfortunately the tw0 vying for PM now look to both be a poor choice to usurp.
audaxjk

Post by audaxjk »

Maybe it’s not all bad - a 1 foot number plate sticking out on the offside of my bike would reduce close passes! Although l’d still probably need to replace it fairly frequently commuting in Birmingham!

As for Shapps, perhaps he has a “friend in need” in mind whom to give the contract to in order to manage the scheme? If it’s Boris then as cyclists, we need not worry.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Bearing in mind it's what used to be referred to by Fleet Street as The Silly Season, here's two pov.s viz-a-vis Shapps' most recent mindless musings:
hmmm
hmmm
ahhh
ahhh
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Surely we must have at least two medical doctors on this forum who are prepared to section Grant Shapps under the mental health act...
..Ken Livingston dropped the idea of bicycle registration when he was mayor for London and so have all others who have propsed such an unworkable idea..
..it is my belief that Grant Shapps is suffering from mononania and is self harming through electronic media. The gentleman should be restrained at the earliest opportunity, heavily medicated before being released under controlled conditions back into the community...
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

cycle tramp wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 5:12pm Surely we must have at least two medical doctors on this forum who are prepared to section Grant Shapps under the mental health act...
..Ken Livingston drop the idea of bicycle registration when he was mayor for London and so have all others who have propsed such an unworkable idea..
..it is my belief that Grant Shapps is suffering from mononania and is self harming through electronic media. The gentleman should be restrained at the earliest opportunity, heavily medicated before being released under controlled conditions back into the community...
You can't medicate for idiocy, shirley?
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Bonefishblues wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 5:18pm
cycle tramp wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 5:12pm Surely we must have at least two medical doctors on this forum who are prepared to section Grant Shapps under the mental health act...
You can't medicate for idiocy, shirley?
H'mmm.... what we could do is send him a bicycle so he can enjoy the fun. And when I say 'we' I mean all of us, together.. but because times are hard, and in the spirit of ecology, we could each send him a bit of a bike from our sheds and garages..
..if enough of us send him a bit of bike, then the law of averages should state that he'll be able to make a bike out of the bits we've sent :-)
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
stephen

Post by stephen »

More disturbingly, from the above article
This media coverage matters. Some studies have linked anti-cycling media coverage to drivers being more aggressive towards cyclists on the roads. So while it’s tempting to write off Shapps’ comments – given how unlikely his ideas are to be implemented – the consequences for cyclists on roads could be much more serious.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

stephen wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 5:56pm More disturbingly, from the above article
This media coverage matters. Some studies have linked anti-cycling media coverage to drivers being more aggressive towards cyclists on the roads. So while it’s tempting to write off Shapps’ comments – given how unlikely his ideas are to be implemented – the consequences for cyclists on roads could be much more serious.
I often wonder if there is a name for this. Would it be a syndrome.
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

Insurance and licence plates for bicycles? Nanny state,Nanny state,Nanny state.
I ride Brompton and a 100% British Vintage